Sausage "Chatter"

orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:21

I've called around town here ,which is wilkes-barre,pa. and wegman's is also the best deal I found. They asked for a couple days lead time if I wanted a 100#'s.I called a packing house and they had it for $1.65# already ground but i like the texture I get with a double grind thru my plates.
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:44

Orf , If you go on line to Wegman's you can order for pickup at the local store also.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 06:14

do you have any of the big box stores such as costco or Sam's club or the like? My local place normally has 130-150# on display at any given time in 2 butt packs. Recently I've opened an account at a local wholesaler and I've been purchasing in 60# cases.
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Post by oops1215 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 18:40

I have gotten shoulder from food basics for $.98lb. You can try calling a restaurant meat supplier some of them have cash and carry. I have used Dutch's meats in Trenton for fresh Hatfield pork.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:23

0.98 cents/lbs of pork. The supplier even makes money on a deal like this, no wonder, poor bloody farmers are going broke.
Here in Australia, the cheapest I can buy is $ 3.99 a kilo for front quartesr or hind legs, but bellies are still around $ 8.50 a kilo.
I am interested to know how much farmers actually get for a pig on foot.
Cheers,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:43

Live hog market price on Friday was about $.89/pound.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 03:04

It also depends on what you purchase. I've been paying around $4/lb for bellies but getting duroc or berkshire. Similarly I've been paying $3+ per lb for shoulders... and these are wholesale prices...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 03, 2012 03:28

$.89/pound was Chicage livestock exchange rate. Local prices don't follow that at all.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 03:32

and it's also for commodity pork, not premium breeds.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 03:08

Hi Sausagemakers,
If you're confused about WHERE to post your message, be sure to see the rough outline at this link in the "For Beginners" forum: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5409
Remember, unless your photos of sausages are accompanied by an original recipe, they'll be moved into the "Sausage Photo Gallery" in the "sticky" section at the top of the page after about a week. This is done for the convenience of those looking for specific types of recipes in the "Sausages" forum.

Best Wishes, :wink:
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Sugar in sausage

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:42

This morning I was frying some Jimmy Dean sausage that I bought for about a buck and a quarter a pound. I was quite surprised when it blackened in a pan that was just a bit to hot. So I checked the label and it has two forms of suger in the mince. Enough to give it a slightly sweet taste so naturally it would be easy to scorch. I like a patty that is well browned but this blackened before it had a chance for the meat to brown. We have a couple of very good local sausage makers in Baltimore and neither of them list sugar on their labels.
I wonder if milk powder will do the same thing because of the large percentage of milk sugar present.
Ross- tightwad home cook
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Need help finding a sausage recipe

Post by atcNick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:49

I have a buddy that wants to make up some sausage for family that use to live in Houston area. I've never heard of this type and was hoping you guys know of a similar sounding recipe:

Here's his email to me. Any help would be appreciated.

There was a meat market down there where they lived that sold a sausage called "South Texas Sweet". A German type kielbasa, but it had a very defined sweetness to it. I'm wanting to model that. My questions for ya are: 1) do you have a good kielbasa recipe you'd be willin to share with me & 2) what in the hell should I add to make the "sweet"?? Brown sugar?? Kinda stumped, bro. Let me know
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:08

South Texas Sweet Smoked Sausages are a specialty of Stanton's Meats, located in Alvin, TX, just south of Houston. They make them in a variety of meats, including game. If it were me, I'd start with the Marianski's hot-smoked version of Polish Smoked Sausage, here:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... hot-smoked

and punch up the sugar a little bit. For a Texas sausage, I'd probably go with a pork/beef mix, too. I would expect the sugar to be regular cane sugar, but brown sugar would definitely add its own flavor profile.

A recipe for cold-smoked Polish Smoked Sausage can be found in the Marianski's books, too.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 15:15

Thanks for that info!!
vagreys wrote:South Texas Sweet Smoked Sausages are a specialty of Stanton's Meats, located in Alvin, TX, just south of Houston. They make them in a variety of meats, including game. If it were me, I'd start with the Marianski's hot-smoked version of Polish Smoked Sausage, here:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... hot-smoked

and punch up the sugar a little bit. For a Texas sausage, I'd probably go with a pork/beef mix, too. I would expect the sugar to be regular cane sugar, but brown sugar would definitely add its own flavor profile.

A recipe for cold-smoked Polish Smoked Sausage can be found in the Marianski's books, too.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Mar 04, 2013 03:33

Actually, I kind of like the way the Jimmy Dean Patty sausage tastes. I know it has a lot of fat but I think it's kind of yummy. I buy a premixed breakfast sausage mix from a place in San Francisco and it has a fair amount of dextrose, so I don't think having a certain amount of sugar in breakfast sausage is unusual.
V465