19 -21mm sheep casing problems

orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Oct 13, 2012 14:17

so you load the casing on the tube near the sink after flushing then put it on the stuffer?is this what most of you do? thanks orf...
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Oct 13, 2012 16:32

I have a similar process but prefer to put the casings on the horn after the horn is already attached. I take the bowl I was soaking the casings in over to the stuff, rub water all over the horn to get it as wet as possible, open the end of the casings and dip them into the soaking water like a fish gulping up the liquid. As the lump of water moves its way through the casing I slide the casing up onto the horn... I like having the horn already on the stuffer as it frees both my hands completely for loading the horn and the horn is stationary.
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Oct 13, 2012 17:18

thats the way I was trying to do it but I just think the tube was too big.I've ordered a 3/8" from lem and will try again when it gets here.thanks orf...
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Sun Oct 14, 2012 00:46

orf wrote:thats the way I was trying to do it but I just think the tube was too big.I've ordered a 3/8" from lem and will try again when it gets here.thanks orf...
I will be very interested to find out how well the 3/8" stuffing horn you've got on order works with the Grizzly stuffer. I'd also like to find out the experience (if any) of others with the use of non-Grizzly parts with the Grizzly stuffer.

As to the question of loading the casings onto the horn before (as I do) or after (as JerBear does); it's a matter of personal preference. I find it easier to do it in the sink with the horn held vertically.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Oct 14, 2012 01:13

One of the reason I got this LEM 3/8 stuffing tube is, because I have LEM stuffer.
But it doesn't fit it. The base diameter is 1/16th. bigger then should be.
I did some reading, and they changed the nut size. So it fits some, and it doesn't fit others.
Therefor you win some, and you lose some. :mrgreen: I ground off some from base diameter.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 14:24

I saw that the size was 1 9/16,my griz is 1 1/2 so I fiquered I'd grind a 32nd off each side if I had to and se what happens. I'll let you know how it works. orf...
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 05:11

orf, I have had the same problem in my early days of sausage making. First thing to do with any salted casing is to flush inside the casing with water, if you have trouble opening the end then cut a clean end with a sharp knife, rub the opening between your Thumb and Index finger under running water, hold the open end under running tap water, fill about 8" of casing and let it flow right through to the end, this will ensure easy feed onto your nozzle. You can soak the casings which will soften them but this won't make an easy feed onto the nozzle, must flush as well. As most guys have said, the casing should be able to slide comfortably onto the nozzle, too tight and the casing will split and drag off the nozzle as you fill it, a little extra water into the mixture will allow for an easier flow into the casing. I have found that stainless nozzles work best, with the plastic nozzles they can easily scratch which will make it more difficult to feed on the casing. I hope this has been helpful.
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:37

thanks .all the replies have been helpful.I'm glad I stumbled onto this site,I found the mother site thru a seach and read it front to back then I happened to see the "forum" on the bottom and took a look. glad I did .you folks seem very knowledgeable and helpful.thanks orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 14:52

Just got my 3/8" stuffer tube from LEM.I have the grizzley 5# vetical stuffer and the tube fits actually better than the plastic ones it comes with. I ordered the 1 9/16". theres no play at all. just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else had concerns. gotta wait till this weekend to try my stix again,can't wait. I'll be sure to let you know how it works. orf...
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 23:23

just got my 22-24mm sheep casings and made a kilo of breakfast sausage from the recipe on the mother site.first off the casings were a breeze to work with,I got the full hank ordered from a local butcher and they were great! I probably could have gotten away with the 19-21's with this quality of product. the first batch of casings were from lems and I don't think they were as good with the small package.just my opinion. anyhow the sausages were wonderful,the stuffing was great not a hassle in the least.can't wait to do more stix.orf...