1-1/2 Tsp. Ginger
1-1/2 Tbs. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Marjoram
1/2 quart ice water
1 tsp. Mapeleine
1 Cup milk powder
3 Tbs. super binder
6 Tbs. maple sugar

Grind meat through a 1/4 inch plate. Add ice water and spices. Mix well Stuff into natural sheep casings . Link into 4" sausages. Place in 180F water for 10 minutes. Rinse and soak in cold water 5 minutes. Separate links and package for freezer.

Sage breakfast links

Sage Sausage Patties

10 lbs pork shoulder
3 Tbs. coarse salt
2 Tbs. Dextrose
4 Tbs. Rubbed Sage
2 tsp. White Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbs. special meat binder
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup ice water

Grind meat through a med plate, grind pepper, sage and add all ingredients, mix well and stuff into 20mm sheep cases.
Last edited by Big Guy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Big Guy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:20

You sure do nice work. What convenient gauge do you use for link length?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:52

Big Guy - those look mighty fine! I have to task you whether you buy the sheep casings "pre-threaded" or you feed them onto the stuffer tube yourself. It takes me so long to thread sheep casings that I've given up on them.

Cheers,
Jeff
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 00:39

ssorllih wrote:You sure do nice work. What convenient gauge do you use for link length?
I put two strips of electrical tape on my table 4 inches apart to guage how long to make my links.

carbona: threading them on the tube is easy the hard part is untangling the hank.a 3/8 SS. stuffing tube is a must.
Last edited by Big Guy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Big Guy
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 19, 2013 00:40

That's a professional looking piece of work, beautiful job! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Jan 19, 2013 01:10

Big Guy wrote:carbona: threading them on the tube is easy the hard part is untangling the hank.a 3/8 SS. stuffing tube is a must.
Maybe my problem is that I bought a little "home pack." I can untangle them (not so hard as a whole hank), but threading them takes forever, and then half of them blow out. I have a small stainless tube.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 01:36

Hey Big Guy, the links look great! We LOVE breakfast sausage here more than any other and make a lot of it.

I wish I had a local source for the sheep casing though. When you order by the hank how is it packaged? Last time I ordered it came in a brine and the texture just wasn't the same as the moist salted I've used in the past.

Also, how well do your links hold up after poach and separation? I've only smoked my links in the past and have never poached in sheep cases....

Thanks for the recipes as well, they'll go into the book soon as something to try out!

Charlie
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 01:50

CBuzz. I get them from The sausage maker in Buffalo, they come in a plastic tub, sealed in a plastic bag which has a slurry of salt. I store them in the fridge. I just rinse the untangled case out then soak in water overnight in the fridge, but you only need a 20 min soak. I like to think a longer soak is better and I can spread the work out over 2 days. I you want tubed sheep cases you can get them fron the syracuse casing co. they are spendy though.
Col. Big Guy
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 03:34

Got it and will order shortly! The wife loved the pics of your links and agreed. Need to try it again with natural casings!

Charlie
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 05:09

small sheep cases are very tender, stuff them very slowly or they will split. Take your time and you won't have any blow outs. Don't stuff too full either .Good luck, you don't have to poach them, I do it to some just to have a brown and serve sausage. They hold up great just don't boil or the skins will toughen.
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 05:27

Beautiful work Ray! As always. One of these days we should all get together and have a sausage breakfast together. Cranky Buzzard would bring the dancing girls and El Quacko would bring some Texas Kool Aid, I'm sure. :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 14:11

Chuck buddy that sounds like a great idea. :wink:
Col. Big Guy
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 00:54

Chuckwagon wrote:Beautiful work Ray! As always. One of these days we should all get together and have a sausage breakfast together. Cranky Buzzard would bring the dancing girls and El Quacko would bring some Texas Kool Aid, I'm sure. :roll:
Wait a minute, it's the ducks turn to bring the girls AND the beverages! :lol:

When I poach I only run the water at 180 F and go to 165 F internal on the links.

Ill bet I got too rough with the last batch of casings, thanks for the heads up!

Charlie