[USA] Golabki Kielbasa

Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

[USA] Golabki Kielbasa

Post by Richard Rowny » Sun Aug 18, 2013 02:19

I recently had an idea. I like golabki but I don't like the bother when I get a craving. Too much like work, when I only have a half hour to mess with. Sure I could make a batch and freeze them but reheating isn't the answer for me.

I'm a kielbasa maker. Kielbasa is more universal than conventional, "pig-in-a-blanket".

So I stuffed the golabaki mix in a casing.

Cooking is simple, e.g. place ring of golabki kielbasa in a skillet to fit. Fill water half way up the side of the kielbasa and simmer 8 min., turn it and simmer an additional 8 min. Save the water for soup stock and then you can brown the kielbasa in the same greased skillet.

IMHO, golabaki tastes best when cooked with beef boullion and tomato sauce on top; so here is what I developed.

5 lb. batch:
3 lbs. ground beef.
1 lb, ground pork.
1 c. pearl barley (makes 4 c. cooked)
2 c. beef boullion to simmer barley in. (use cabbage water).
1 small head of cabbage (1 1/2 lbs) shredded and steamed 15 minutes.
3 medium or 2 large onions diced.
1 tbs minced garlic.
2 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
1 small can 5.5 oz. tomato juice.
4 tbs. butter.

17' hog casing = 11 rings of 10 oz., 12' long, looped and tied in 18" of casing.

Mix beef and pork together.

Steam the cabbage and save the water, making it up to 2 c. for the beef boullion.

Add pearl barley to boiling boullion cabbage water and simmer covered 45 min.

saute: onions, garlic, salt, pepper in butter until golden/translucent.

Stir in cabbage.

Add tomato juice to mixed meat for moisture and blending.

Blend EVERYTHING together. Refrigerate covered with a cloth overnight. Then stuff.

Works for me.

It's easier to handle a kielbasa, than it is to wrestle a pig in a blanket. :roll:
Last edited by Richard Rowny on Fri Dec 27, 2013 22:38, edited 2 times in total.
Dzukija, Vilnius & Podsadzie, Lebedziewo
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 18, 2013 02:35

I think that most of us will need a little more back ground. This sounds like a very fine preparation But I don't understand the details.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:54

Hi Richard,

It sounds really good´n tasty!

When you make "real" Gołąbki [Go-Womp-ki] don´t you usually use the steamed cabbage leaves to wrap around the filling ?
Here it seems that you shred them and mix with the filling.
Of course, filling a stuffed cabbage leaf into a casing could be a challenge :???:

Usually in polish recipes for Gołąbki rice is used rather than pearl barley, but I´d for sure prefer the barley which has more bite and taste.

I suppose that some poles wouldn´t wouldnt resist the temptation of throwing some Allspice (whole) and a Bay leaf or two into the cabbage water. Did you try that?

Do you also try to make Fresh Polish Raw Sausage ? (Polska surowa)
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 18, 2013 14:27

thank you that helps. Sausage wrapped in cabbage leaves I understand. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Sun Aug 18, 2013 17:15

Igor,
There are with out a doubt; some who would wrap a kielbasa in a cabbage leaf. :roll: Why not? I might even do it and finish off the kielbasa that way too. :cool: It's still good food. :wink:

Rice vs barley. It depends upon availability. My family raised barley and not rice. See my signature. I just naturally steer towards barley, having been raised on it. It has more "tooth" than rice. When prepared with beef stock, it takes on a personality of its own. Your observation is in line with mine.

I drew the line at adding kasza. My grand-father's breakfast staple. I don't feel Anglos are ready for that. :wink:

cloves (not allspice) bay leaf,pepper corn, mustard seed, caraway and thyme with onion are in our traditional family kielbasa from Europe.

Surowa: I stay away from dried kielbasa making but I run a good smoker.

Somewhere on this forum, I have entered a cold smoker that I fashioned from an item that the authorities will become overly excited about. I dare not print the name here. :sad:

You can probably bring it up, using my name. I don't use sites much. I just muddle along on my own. I'm 75 and have been doing this for a lifetime; seat-of-the-pants flying.

Richard
Dzukija, Vilnius & Podsadzie, Lebedziewo
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Aug 18, 2013 23:39

I love the idea. I love Golobki and I love sausage. Heck, I've stuffed chili into a casing. Why not Golobki?. I how. Ever, would stick with rice. Love it!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 19, 2013 00:05

I use boiled rice to push the last of the meat through the grinder so that would work well.
Ross- tightwad home cook