Polish Bacon Sausage - Kiełbasa Boczkowa

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Polish Bacon Sausage - Kiełbasa Boczkowa

Post by markjass » Tue Aug 20, 2013 09:47

I am a great one for using the original name of a sausage. The Bacon Sausage 'For all bacon lovers here is another clasical Polish sausage' http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... on-sausage What is its polish name? Knowing this then creates a pronounacion problem!

Mark
Last edited by markjass on Sun Jan 14, 2018 17:15, edited 3 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38

Hi Mark,
Hey, I'm a Swiss dude, but I think the name you are looking for is Krakowska Sucha.
It contains bacon. There is another Krakauer sausage called Krakowska Krajana, but it contains ham (front picnic) and jowls, instead of bacon.
I could be wrong... heck pal, I was wrong once before... but that was once when I thought I was wrong! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:09

Thanks C.W. now I gotta work out how to say it.

Mark
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Aug 20, 2013 13:21

Right Mr. C.W. :mrgreen:

I still think we have 663 registered users, therefore # 666 is coming later.

Like I said, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: maybe the devil himself.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:26

Hi Mark,

The Polish word for bacon is boczek, therefore, bacon sausage is Kiełbasa Boczkowa.

There is a recipe on the Polish WD site here:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/index.php?optio ... 1&Itemid=4

The above recipe and the one you provided the link to call for pork belly (or side pork) as an ingredient, rather than cured and and smoked bacon.

Chris
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 20, 2013 23:06

The Polish recipe is by Maxell and I will translate it next week when I get back. Busy packing today and heading up north island to chase some Coho salmon tomorrow.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 21, 2013 09:09

Thanks Chris

Wow I love salmon. I want to give salmon fishing a go. Salmon fishing is a big thing here. There are two major salmon fishing rivers within an hours drive of here. A lot of people fish near the mouth of the rivers. The run starts from mid december here. I do not know anyone who fishes.

I only have a surf caster (14 foot long) and have never done any fly fishing. I surf cast with limited sucess. Last summer I caught a few elephant fish (http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting ... h-head.htm) and a couple of rigg (http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting ... -steve.htm). These fish use to be abundant and were often sold in fish and chip shops. Because of that some people use to snear at them. They are beautiful tasting fish and it now seams an insult to batter and deep fry them.

In terms of wild game. I know a couple of people who deer and pig hunt. They are fit and 'nutt's' in a nice sense. They have dogs that hold the pigs. They then cut the pigs throats. Often where they hunt is a zillion miles away from a road and they carry out the pigs over mountains. There dogs and themselfes have had some nasty gourings. One of these guys said to me if I catch him a salmon and smoke it he will give me a butchered wild pig!

Anyway back to the topic. Thank you for putting me right on bacon (being pork belly rather than cured and smoked bacon). It would be great if you could translate the recipe that you have provided the link to.

Thank you

Mark
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 23:14

Bacon sausage (KIELBASA BOCZKOWA)

1/2 lb bacon diced into 1/2" cubes
1 Lb beef 1/8" plate, grind twice.
1 lb pork DITTO
3/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tbs salt
1 tsp cure #1
(If making this recipe, see the author's correction below →)
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar. (I like dark brown)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp paprika (I like Goya Pimenton)
1 tsp ground coriander
3/4 c. water

Hang 2 hours to dry at room temperature.
Hot smoke 2 hrs. (I use apple/cherry)
Poach 165 degree water to internal 155 degrees.
Immediately shower with cold water.
Last edited by Richard Rowny on Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dzukija, Vilnius & Podsadzie, Lebedziewo
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 23:23

Hi Mark,

A bit intrigued by this topic! No doubt the Poles have an arsenal of different sausage types for almost every taste. The Kielbasa Bockowa however being one of those that´s not likely to be found in every butchers shop. At least I haven´t come across it in Poland as yet, though it sounds quite yummy.

The two recipes seem quite alike, Maxell being slightly more elaborate, and a bit more specific in raw material.

Noticing the rather high concent of beef and pork to be finely grinded (75%) to an addition of only 25% bacon dices, I can´t help thinking that this is a way to counter balance the usually high fat content of traditional polish bacon.

Now, assuming that your local bacon is somewhat (read: A LOT) more meager than the average polish, I would strongly consider raising the bacon dice content from 25% to perhaps even 50%. It will give you a more beautiful slice, especially if you dry cure the bacon for 24 to 48 hours to extract the best possible color.

For me 75% of binding between the big hunks is simply way toooo much. But taste is a personal matter ...for you to decide :wink:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 23:55

Let me qualify what I do with bacon. I use Canadian/Irish bacon because it is lean and already has a smoke flavour. The pork I always use is BUTT which already has more than enough fat. I would like to reach 76!

The paprika is a Spanish smoked variety. I like smoke.

Fat back, belly and side pork do not cut it with me. I already had a stroke 12 years ago.

I just noticed that the initial entry for this post, has an almost identical recipe.

See? I skim everything and do not dwell at one thing. Who knows how long I will be around and I want to cram in as much as I can. :???: Cut down on fat!!! :wink:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:19

Richard Rowny wrote:Bacon sausage (KIELBASA BOCZKOWA)

1/2 lb bacon diced into 1/2" cubes
1 Lb beef 1/8" plate, grind twice.
1 lb pork DITTO
3/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tbs salt
1 tsp cure #1
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar. (I like dark brown)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp paprika (I like Goya Pimenton)
1 tsp ground coriander
3/4 c. water

Hang 2 hours to dry at room temperature.
Hot smoke 2 hrs. (I use apple/cherry)
Poach 165 degree water to internal 155 degrees.
Immediately shower with cold water.
Richard, I don't want be picky, but for the safety of others who are not advanced in sausage making, you have twice the required amount of cure 1 in your recipe. The amount for 156ppm is 2.5 grams for 1kg. of meat, (and you can even go a tad lower as they do in Europe). One teaspoon of cure 1 is somewhere between 5 and 6 grams. For your 2.5 lbs, you need 2.8g. or 1/2 tsp. to achieve 156pp.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:42

Right you are Red!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:16

MY BAD!!! :oops: THAT SHOULD READ: 2 Lbs BEEF, 2 Lbs PORK, 1 Lb Bacon. I do everything in a minimum of 5 lb batches. I have a 1874 Enterprise 5 lb. stuffer/press.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 23:21

redzed wrote:The Polish recipe is by Maxell and I will translate it next week when I get back. Busy packing today and heading up north island to chase some Coho salmon tomorrow.

Bacon sausage steamed

(per 5 kg . material)

Recipe :

A. Raw material:
1 Beef Class II or I corned 1.25 kg
2 Beef Class I or II ( no tendinous - may be the leg ) Corned - 0.75 kg
3 Class III cured pork - 1.25 kg
4 cured bacon - 1.25 kg
5 cured jowl - 0.5 kg

B. Spices and reference materials:

I. Spices:
a) used for curing :
1 salt - 0.105 kg
2 nitrate - 0.005 kg
b ) added during production :
1 salt - 0.01 kg
2 natural pepper - 0.006 kg
3 peppers - 0.001 kg
4 ginger - 0.001 kg
5 sugar - 0.005 kg
6 coriander - 0.001 kg
7 Garlic - 0.005 kg .
II. Resources:
1 artificial intestinal diameter of 70 mm .
2 Yarn No. 6

C. Form of raw material after treatment :

Beef Class II or I, class III and pork jowl split into 2 mm mesh at least two times.
Beef Class I or II ( no tendinous ) divided by a grid of 5 mm . Country bacon into cubes of side 15 mm .

D. Form the finished product :

Sausage in lengths of 35-40 cm. At one end of the loop for hanging length of 10-12 cm , the second end connected yarn .

Manual abstract:

1 pickle :
As previously announced (sugar is added to salt and nitrate ) .
2 Shredding:
According to the recipe .
3 Fur ( double grinding )
Beef class II or I ( sinewy ) and pork class III is passed at least 2 times through 2 mm mesh and then mixed with about 0.30 liters of cold water.
While stirring add the rest of the salt and spices .
4 Mixing:
For mixing we first prepared mass beef - pork with spices and water, then beef Class I or II ( no sinewy ) and jowls , and the final stage of mixing - sliced bacon . Mix until a uniform blend all the ingredients and obtain a proper consistency .
5 Filling and tying disorders:
The mixed mass is filled with tightly intestine. We're tying the ends of the sheath yarn .
6 Deposition :
For 2-3 hours .
7 smoking :
Hot smoke for about 100 minutes . During the translation of smoking cues in the smokehouse.
8 Steaming:
The temperature of 72-75 degrees C for about 80 min . to reach inside the sausage at 68-70 degrees C.
9 cooling :
After brewing is cooled with cold water for 2-4 min . and placed in a room cooled to cool to a temperature below 12 degrees C. It is allowed to cooling to a temperature of 18 degrees C.
During or before cooling , it is recommended to pour hot water sausages ..

Author: Maxell
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 08, 2013 06:24

Hmm. :shock: Brewed bacon sausage. We live in interesting times. El Pato will like this one. :lol: :shock: