[USA] Italian (Sweet) Sausage

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Italian (Sweet) Sausage

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:14

Stan Marianski`s... Italian (Sweet) Sausage

Chuckwagon says: Our pal, Stan Marianski really puts together an Italian sausage! When the Italians leave the cayenne out of their infamous fennel-laden recipe, they call it "Italian Sweet" Sausage instead of "Italian Hot Sausage". Real Italian Sausage contains caraway, fennel, and coriander, and it is a superb sausage for frying or grilling. Sheeeyuks, "Bigfoot" the butcher in my local supermarket, uses so much salt in his "secret recipe" it could melt the salt on I-15 in January! Why not make your own Italian Sweet Sausage and save money, use much less salt and fat, and enjoy your breakfast or dinner even more? The dominant flavor in fresh Italian sausage is fennel with traces of coriander and caraway. By adding (or not) cayenne pepper we can create sweet, medium or hot variety. Now, get this: Fried on a hot plate with green bell peppers and onions, it is sold by street vendors everywhere in New York City. Don`t confuse it with cheap poached hot dogs on a bun; Real Italian sausage is larger and served on a long subway type roll. It is leaner than other fresh sausages and the US regulations permit no more than 35% fat in the recipe. Yes, fennel, sometimes added with anise, is the dominant spice in this sausage, although the coriander and caraway play their parts also.

Meat: Metric USA
Pork butt 1000 g. 2.2 lbs

Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat:
Black pepper, coarse 2.0 g. 1 tspn.
salt 18 g 3 tsp.
sugar 2.0 g 1/2 tsp.
fennel seed, cracked 3.0 g 2 tsp.
coriander 1.0 g 1/2 tsp.
caraway 1.0 g 1/2 tsp.
cold water 100 ml 3/8 cup

Instructions
Freeze the fat then grind the meat and fat using a 3/8" (10 mm) plate. Mix the meat with all ingredients, including the water, then stuff the mixture into 32 - 36 mm hog casings and tie 5" (12 cm) links. Fully cook the sausage to 152 degrees Fahrenheit before serving. Note this particular sausage is recommended for frying or grilling.

Notes:
For Medium Hot Italian Sausage add 2 g (1 tsp) cayenne pepper.
For Hot Italian Sausage add 4 g (2 tsp) cayenne pepper.
Other Italian spices such as basil, thyme and oregano are often added.
Want even more flavor? Simmer the bone and trimmings in a little water and use the stock for the water called for in the mix.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Oct 08, 2013 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:28

This continues to be our most popular sausage by a wide margin.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:39

Hi Witt! Yes indeed! I posted it here getting ready for Project B2. There is actually one more popular. Can you guess what it is?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Oct 09, 2013 17:52

I'm going to give this recipe a shot when firing up the Project 2-B engine. I might shake it up a bit by adding some fresh garlic and anise, using decent red wine instead of water. As with any recipe calling for seeds I always toast them on a metal pie pan for five minutes in a 350° oven, then toss them into my coffee bean grinder. I have two 14 pound bags of wild hog meat in my freezer so I think I might utilize one of them with eight pounds of domestic porkbutt. That way I could just multiply the recommended dosages by ten and be pretty much spot on. For the last few years I've been having pre-mixed Italian sausage seasoning sent to me but I'm having a little beef with that company over what have grown to be ridiculous shipping charges, time to get back to forming my own. There will be a post regarding shipping costs forthcoming, first I have to go to my local UPS outlet and get a little more info. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 22:25

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Witt! Yes indeed! I posted it here getting ready for Project B2. There is actually one more popular. Can you guess what it is?
Betcha it's NOT onion sausage!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Oct 09, 2013 22:37

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Witt! Yes indeed! I posted it here getting ready for Project B2. There is actually one more popular. Can you guess what it is?
Polish
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 05:23

Yup, good ol' Polish Kielbasa.