Venison Sausage Ratio's

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 04, 2016 18:43

Stickstring-

Not sure how you buy your pork butts but if you get the cryovacced pacs that contain two butts there is usually more fat. The trimmed versions sold in the display cases have most of the fat cap removed.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Mar 04, 2016 19:33

Bob k,
Up to this point, I have been buying my pork butts from Costco, and yes they come two to a pack. They usually have quite a bit of fat.

What about pork jowls. I have a old timer Italian friend that makes great sausage. I just spoke with him and he says he ONLY uses fresh pork jowls for the fat content in his sausages. What if I were to use 50% venison and 50% pork jowls. Do you guys feel that would meet the fat to venison needs? Has anyone used pork jowls for sausage?

Thanks
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 04, 2016 21:37

I think that ratio would be too fatty using jowls. I know some guys who use bellies in venison and people like it. Seems an expensive source of fat to me though. If I used the jowls I'd try 30%.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Mar 04, 2016 22:39

Thanks butterbean, I called a local mom and pop butcher who is known for their great wild game sausages and who I buy my back fat from. I asked for 50/50 pork trim and they told me they don't have any nor keep any. I asked them what they use or recommend for venison sausage and they said, "I honestly don't know and couldn't tell you". I thought it was funny as they make everything in house. Anyhow, just looking for options.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Mar 05, 2016 03:39

That's odd.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 02:41

we did 240 lbs. this winter. 190 lbs. of beer sticks . 50 lbs. of summer sausage. we also add 2 lbs. of hi temp cheddar cheese per 25 lbs. we use a 50/50 mix half venison and half pork shoulders. I have found that Sam's club has had the best price on pork. bone in butts. Our cost came to $4.04 per lb. plus $150.00 for processing three deer. after doing this for 15 years the pork/well trimmed venison ratio seems to work out the best. John
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Mon Aug 08, 2016 19:29

Ok guys, before I start I just wanted to thank everyone for the help on this thread as I am now making venison sausages with great texture and mouth feel. So i really appreciate all of the help thus far. With that said, I now have another question.

I have multiple recipes that have been absolutely fantastic using 100% pork butt. Some I have pulled right off of this site. Although, when I attempt to make the EXACT SAME recipe using venison the flavor lacks. Almost as if not enough seasoning. I did read once, some recommend increasing the seasoning percentages when using venison. Does anyone have any insight or input on this matter? If so, how much do I increase the seasonings?

Thank you!
Nick
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 08, 2016 23:44

Hi Nick, welcome back! I think that you have already answered your in your observation that the same recipe does not work with different meats. Often even substituting different cuts from the same carcass will give you different results. That is why eleison sausage will usually have different ingredients than a pork only sausage, and in different amounts. Venison also will give your sausage a different taste, aroma, texture and colour. And because it is very lean, will have a greater water holding capacity. Can you tell us which particular recipes you are attempting to adapt to venison?
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Tue Aug 09, 2016 00:16

Thank you Redzed. Like i said, I have learned from previous posts and have the meat to fat ratio down. my wife and I are both very happy with texture and moisture of sausages. in terms of ingredients, We can start simple and use "Italian Sausage - by Stan Marianski". This is one of my wifes favorite recipes when used with 100% pork shoulder. When made with a venison/pork mixture, we are not getting that great Italian flavor anymore. Almost as if the seasonings are being drowned out by the flavor of the venison itself. We enjoy venison, as well as its flavors, but I would love a way to make a venison Italian Sausage that tastes like Italian Sausage!
Thank you,
Nick
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 09, 2016 02:00

Well, you can never make a venison sausage that will taste like pork. And venison sausages, as well as those made with beef or lamb are usually spiced stronger than pork. So by all means, bump up the ingredients such as the BP, garlic and fennel. You can also try and complement or substitute the fennel with star anise. But take care in the amount as it is stronger in flavour than anise seed of fennel. Add some hot pepper flakes or, better yet, a few grams of coarsely ground dry Calabrian peppers. Here is a link to Hank Shaw's recipe for Italian venison sausage.
http://honest-food.net/2014/03/19/sweet ... ge-recipe/

Certainly more ingredients here, but Hank's wild game recipes are usually quite good.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Tue Aug 09, 2016 21:02

Thank you for the response. after some more reading, I need to stick with "white" meats for sausages along the lines of Italian and such. and smoked sausages and stronger spiced sausages for red meats like venison. would you agree?

I always have plenty of wild pig in the freezer I can use up for things like this.

I have also noticed something else I was hoping i could find an answer to. I have made many venison sausages, some turned out great, others edible but not so great. Once thing I noticed remains true for every venison sausage I have made. After mixing, I always fry up a patty to try. the flavor of the sausage before stuffing and after stuffing differ greatly. I have made sausage that I was very excited for because the patty was fantastic, and then as soon as we stuffed the sausage the flavor was no longer there and the sausage was no where near as good.

any thoughts
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 11, 2016 14:57

Nick-
What I find is that any recipe you can use beef in (like Polish) will work with venison.

Haven't a clue why a sausage patty would taste different than a stuffed sausage :???: