Wild Pig Sausage

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Wild Pig Sausage

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed Aug 24, 2016 20:21

Before I start making a batch of Wild Hog Italian Sausage I just want to verify with you all my math is correct and I will not ruin another batch of sausage.

For 1000g total

400 g Wild Pig
400 g Boston Butt
200 g Back Fat

Should put me at about:
720 g Lean
280 g fat
which should give me a total of about 28% fat ratio. Would anyone change this or do something different?
Thank you very much
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 24, 2016 21:35

Personally I would not go over 25% fat, and prefer around 20%, so it comes to a matter of taste and preference as opposed to right or wrong amounts. Fresh sausages from your supermarket can have as much as 50% fat! Keep in mind that fat contains almost no water, so when you compare it by volume with lean meat it is considerably bigger and sometimes even 20% will make the sausage look fat.

Good luck with Italian sausage! I love it with a rich spaghetti sauce. :lol:
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed Aug 24, 2016 23:31

Thanks Redzed! I have made so many disappointing sausages in the past (learning curve), from poor texture, to dry to no flavor. Others on this site have helped me with texture and moisture and I have found with their expertise and knowledge that adding more fat to wild game seemed to take care of those issues. I plan on using the Italian Sausage Recipe on this site. I made it with venison last and was not very happy. the flavor of the venison over powered the seasonings. so I am hoping wild pig is a better choice. I usually have a lot of wild meat in the box freezer so I am trying to come up with a list of recipes my family and I enjoy using the Wild Meat.