My product IMT stalls out - WHAT TO DO?

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

My product IMT stalls out - WHAT TO DO?

Post by bolepa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:41

Hi everyone and I have a question to ask: what should I do now? I know this topic was discussed on this forum previously but I need to make a decision and am not sure what to do.
I was making two type of sausages - summer sausage and cervelat. I decided to follow the recipe from Marianski book for 100% but made one change during the process: per recipe I had to introduce smoke at 110F for 12 hours for Cervelat and for 6 hours for summer sausage and increasing temperature gradually until IM reaches 140F. In fact, for both sausages I kept temp at 110F only for 2 hours and then increased temp for 10 degrees every hour until my smoker temperate riched 168F for total 8 hours. Here is my problem: my product IMT stalls out / reaches a plateau at about 128°F. Last hour the IM temp started getting even lower - 125-124F. Usually, I finish my sausages by pouching them but It was kind of late for me (9:00 p.m.) and I could not wait any longer or do anything else because I had to go to bed (I am waking up every morning at 3:45 a.m. for work). I hanged all my sausages in the curing chamber at 55F and 70% over night.
Now, back to my question: what should I do now? Dispose all my meats or try to pouch them when I come home from work?
P.S. I have TSM 30# electrical smoker which I modified to bypass its own temperature controller to work with Auber WSD-1200GPH. IM temp was controlled by ThermoPro TP20 which is very accurate. Please let me know if I need to provide more information on this. All responses will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:24

Can't really help you with avoiding the stall but it happens all the time and its common with electric smokers. But nothing is lost. Poach the sausages to the proper IT and cool. Because cervolat and summer sausages are considered as semi-dry sausages, you can put them back into the smoker and give them a few more hours of warm smoke. A number of Polish sausages are made like that. I also struggle with my electric smoker, and if I was making those sausages I would have smoked them for about 6 hours, the whole time at 135-145, poached, cooled and then given them about 6 hours at 110.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:35

Wow! Your advice is pretty different from Mr. Marianski recipe and lot easier to deal with. Definitely will keep it in my "tips & trick" notes. I am going to use it with my next batch of SS. Happy to hear that I don't have to through away all my meats and should be able to finish both sausages with pouching them and smoking a little longer. Thank you very much for your advice, redzed!