Spice dosage help

razvangrig

Spice dosage help

Post by razvangrig » Mon Oct 28, 2019 16:28

Hi all!
I am trying to make some Texas hot links and I can't find the right dosage in grams/weight for mustard powder, sweet paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. How many grams should I try for these spices, for 1kg of meat?
Thank you!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Spice dosage help

Post by DanMcG » Thu Oct 31, 2019 09:29

The amounts are totally up to you, but for some reference take a look at this;
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... es/secrets
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 14:09

Welcome to the forum, razvangrig!

Here is the recipe from the Marianskis that would be a great place to start:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... -hot-links

The amount of paprika is listed as 2g per kg.

For garlic, it calls for 2 cloves. One clove is ROUGHLY equal to 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic powder. So, two cloves would be one teaspoon. One teaspoon would be roughly 2.8g (as seen in DanMcG's link). But, personally, I'd use at least 5g per kg. I make a Czech-Tex hot link and I use 10g per kg.

Mustard seed is listed as 3.2g per tsp and it calls for 2, so you'd want 6.4g per kg. If you're going to use mustard powder, you may want a little less.

Onion powder is not used in their recipe, nor do I see it most Texas hot link recipes, but I did come across it at a rate of 1 TBS per 5 lbs of meat, which is roughly 3.3g per kg. And that's right in the middle of the suggested range in the "guidelines for spice usage" from Dan's link.

These are just some starting points for you. There is no right or wrong recipe. Give it a try how YOU think you would like it. If it doesn't turn out exactly how you want it, then you can tweak it the next time. That's part of the fun... Dialing in your recipes until you've perfected them.
razvangrig

Post by razvangrig » Sat Nov 02, 2019 13:48

Thanks for the suggestions, it's a good starting point, as I have never used garlic powder or mustard seeds before in a sausage.