Vienna sausage

Butterbean

Vienna sausage

Post by Butterbean » Mon Oct 19, 2020 18:16

I've had this on my bucket list for some time but have been hesitant about making it because I didn't want something that tasted like those tinned Vienna sausages you find in the store. However, the ingredient list in the recipes I've seen has alway made me think real Vienna sausages would taste much different and with that in mind I decided to make some this weekend just to ease my curiosity. Am glad I did. Though these were a bit of a pain to make they turned out wonderful and I'll probably make them again.

Recipe I used can be found in Rytek Kutas's book and called for 40% lean beef, 40% veal, 20% lean pork seasoned with nutmeg, coriander, cardamon and cloves along with wheat flour as a binder.

Though he says Vienna sausage isn't smoked I saw where other regions do smoke it so I smoked mine to give it a better color and more flavor. In the end I was well pleased.

redzed

Re: Vienna sausage

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 20, 2020 16:10

Wieners! They sure look tasty, I haven't had a good hot dog now for a while. The one I grab at Costco now and then satisfies the stomach for a while but is an impostor, salty and with a grainy texture and in the end gets lost in all the condiments I slather on it. I don't know where Rytek got the idea that the Vienna sausage (Wiener) is not smoked because it is. Marianski's version is here: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/wiener

Now I'm going to have to make some. Did you use sheep casings?
Butterbean

Re: Vienna sausage

Post by Butterbean » Tue Oct 20, 2020 17:12

I did use sheep casings. In fact this was an epic adventure in itself as I had a hank of sheep casings which were mis-labeled I assume and thinking nothing of it I dropped the whole hank in a bucket of water only to learn when I was ready to stuff they were not sheep casings or if they were they were 32-34 mm sheep casings - if there is such a thing. Anyhow, I pulled another hank of sheep casings and went from there. It all worked out in the end but the delay was frustrating.

Yeah, I don't know where he got the part about they are not smoked either. Did some reading on them and there seems to be many variations. I like what the smoke did for the flavor and the color of the sausage. My one regret is I linked the sausages in three's so when I smoked them I didn't get an even smoke on all the sausages. Next time I'll take closer note of this.