Smart thermometers

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Smart thermometers

Post by jjnurk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 14:47

Just throwing this out there.
I was looking into the idea of a smart / wireless thermometer for the smoker. More so for to have in smoker and injected into the meat throughout the smoking, cooking process, so as not to open the smoker too many times. There is quite a few out on the market but can someone that may have experienced good or bad reviews throw some comments. Thx!
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Re: Smart thermometers

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 25, 2020 15:30

I bought two that went to my phone via bluetooth I think. Both were alright but they seemed to drain the batteries to much for my liking and I have gone back just hanging the meter on the side of the smokehouse. I imagine they have improved since I bought mine though.
jens49
User
User

Post by jens49 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25

"The Maverick ET-732 is a dual-probe, remote thermometer used to monitor both barbecue and food temperatures. The probes plug into a transmitter that sends data to the receiver that can be located up to 300' (91m) away, according to the manufacturer."

I have been using this in my smoker for the last 4 or 5 years. Works like a charm.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 26, 2020 16:35

jens49 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25
"The Maverick ET-732 is a dual-probe, remote thermometer used to monitor both barbecue and food temperatures. The probes plug into a transmitter that sends data to the receiver that can be located up to 300' (91m) away, according to the manufacturer."

I have been using this in my smoker for the last 4 or 5 years. Works like a charm.
I had good luck with Maverick and got several years out of mine. Need to get another one of these. My problems seemed to be the one's that connected to the phone via Bluetooth. The just seemed hard on the batteries. I'm tempted to try the one's which are truly wireless where the probe itself is a Bluetooth transmitter. This sounds interesting but I don't know if it too will drain the batteries fast. I actually need another temp probe now and will probably buy a Maverick because the last one did so well till the batteries corroded inside it and messed it up.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:35

I also have the Maverick dual probe and and at one time used it often. But it's been a while now since it is a bit of a pain and when it came to sausage it still was not accurate enough for me since in my case I get different temperature readings in different locations in my smoker. And if I finish my sausage by poaching the IT is not important. I just smoke to a good colour and then transfer it to the hot water.
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Sun Nov 29, 2020 01:30

I have an inkbird 4 probe wifi works well.