Mettwurst PH

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Mettwurst PH

Post by Albertaed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 15:45

I see a lot of recipes stating to ferment at a certain temp and humidity without talking about PH. I am about to make a Mettwurst from meatsandsausage that calls for a 48 hours ferment with no culture. Since this is basically fresh sausage (from what I can see) am I stating the obvious by saying culture or no you still need to reach a safe PH for anything that is not cooked before being eaten. :| :| It does call for cure#1 but is that not mostly for the cold smoke aspect. :?
redzed

Re: Mettwurst PH

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 17:22

I don't know which recipe you are referring to as there are more than one in that collection. But yes, mettwurst is essentially a raw sausage that is consumed after the cold smoking. After all people eat steak tartare, carpaccio, cold smoked salmon and raw tuna. 4 or 5 grams of glucose per kg should bring the pH down to 5 or 4.9. But it's always best to test with a meter. You can certainly use a starter just to make sure. Some recipes also include a shot alcohol. Other steps to make sure that the product is safe is to keep the meat very cold during the production right up to the fermentation stage. Use pork that has been previously frozen and grind your own beef from a cut that has not been tenderized. Don't skimp on the salt because it's your first line of defense against pathogens.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Mettwurst PH

Post by Albertaed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 18:53

I’ve been reading so much on presenting hurdles to keep the “bad bacteria” at bay in dry and semi dry products I thought I’d ask. I will make small batches as I’m the only one who will probably eat it anyway :?
On a side note I forgot what a well thought out and thorough this forum is!! I spend night after night just reading old posts (not much of a life I suppose :P )