Post by Albertaed » Tue Dec 22, 2020 07:06

https://imgur.com/a/ghZ7e18

First time making Mettwurst.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Moose Mettwurst

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 02:18

Looks great! The venison Liverwurst I make is very similar texture. Freezing for butt off up there? you guys have a extreme cold warning in the Peace Country. I'm down in Rocky Mtn house.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 02:33

Thx. Liverwurst is definitely on my list of things to try. it was cold as hell but we are supposed to have a bit of a chinook ( I’m sure it won’t last LOL). Most of my family is in and around sundre-Innisfail.Rocky is beautiful country. How was hunting this year.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 05:29

From the pic, it looks like you hit the Mark. What's the taste like and how does it compare to other mettwurst sausages you tasted? I tried it a few times over my the years but that is one sausage I have never made it.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 05:31

Pretty lean year this year. No moose draw. I got 1 deer and my daughter got one deer. One farmer buddy had an older cow the prolapsed so he gave it to me. I shot it and butchered it for sausage and burger.mgoing to buy a hog from a local producer over Christmas. Got a lamb on the weekend past. Going to make some Merquez sausage from that trim. If you search the sausages forum I have a thread there on the liver wurst. Going to make some from the doe liver.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 14:54

Honestly I haven’t had Mettwurst since I was a kid. It is a subtle flavour with nothing too overbearing. I like the smooth texture. I’m planning on making a few variations as a comparison but this is definitely on the keep list.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 15:38

I don’t think the moose plays a big role in the flavour. This was a nice young bull.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 15:42

Like the Liverwurst there is likely a fair percentage of fatty pork in it to give it the nice smooth texture. Ed I'll try and find my deer liverwurst thread up to the front so you can write down that recipe. Its quite mildly flavored as well.