Roo sausage

redzed

Roo sausage

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 02, 2022 07:09

I was gifted a kg of ground kangaroo meat a little while ago, and it was high time to hop to it and crank out something. From what I gleaned on the net, kangaroo meat is quite gamey and lean. I decided that a well seasoned sausage with other meats might work well and made a fresh Calabrian sausage with it. Turned out quite good, no gamey flavour coming through and great off the grill. I used 25% kangaroo meat, 25% wild boar meat and 50% fatty pork. Seasoned with fine sea salt 1.8%, Calabrian peperoncino sauce 3.5%, white pepper .2%, sweet paprika .2% and fennel powder .2%.

Image Image
michi
User
User

Re: Roo sausage

Post by michi » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:22

Looking good! Kangaroo meat is super lean, and it turns into shoe leather before you can say "Kangaroo" :-) When cooked as a steak, the best way to eat it is very rare, bordering on blue. For sausages, 30% pork back fat or so will do wonders. As you say, the flavour is quite mild, not anywhere near as gamey as venison.

Good spices to use with Kangaroo sausage are Lemon Myrtle and Wattleseed. Both unobtainium in Europe, I suspect :-(
redzed

Re: Roo sausage

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 02, 2022 18:20

michi wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:22
Looking good! Kangaroo meat is super lean, and it turns into shoe leather before you can say "Kangaroo" :-) When cooked as a steak, the best way to eat it is very rare, bordering on blue. For sausages, 30% pork back fat or so will do wonders. As you say, the flavour is quite mild, not anywhere near as gamey as venison.

Good spices to use with Kangaroo sausage are Lemon Myrtle and Wattleseed. Both unobtainium in Europe, I suspect :-(
Thanks for the info, this was my first kick at the can in using roo meat. I made a spicy sausage because I was afraid that the gaminess would compromise it.