Münchner Weisswurst

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Münchner Weisswurst

Post by Scogar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 19:54

This has been a tough year for me to find the time for sausage. But I finally got something done that I have been wanting to make for years - Münchner Weisswurst. Not a particularly hard recipe, but one I appreciate incredibly when I am in Munich and kind of tough to find the real stuff on this side of the pond. So I did my best, and for my first 15 pounds I'm pretty happy. I certainly can't be upset that mine isn't quite as good as I can get in Munich. I mean after millions of tons over centuries, and processes dialed in to a tee, mine was a great facsimile...unless of course I had a side by side comparison.
I followed the Marianski recipe as much as I could given what I had on hand. I substituted pork shoulder for lean pork and pork jowls, I used fresh squeezed lemon juice with pulp in lieu of the 30+ lemons I calculated I would need to zest. And the veal is hard to find but I was able to find a five pound block of ground veal...it wasn't as fresh as I would have preferred and likely contained veal fat. But it was all I could find.

In hindsight I'm not certain the veal was needed, I may try to make the next batch with pork only. And though I haven't hinted it down I have heard some of the spice houses sell dehydrated zest which is very different than dehydrated peel. Peel contains the pith whereas zest does not and in the quantity used I would be concerned with the bitterness of the peel
Lorenzoid
User
User

Re: Münchner Weisswurst

Post by Lorenzoid » Wed Apr 06, 2022 21:36

Did you use the buffalo chopper for this? Looks delicious. I love Weisswurst, and I disregard the Bavarian etiquette for eating it.

I can't find the original source, but in some notes I took it says that an application for protected status (which was denied) attempted to define Weisswurst as requiring at least 51% veal, total fat content less than 30%, and at least 5% boiled "skin works." It should be possible to find a copy of the application. EU?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Apr 07, 2022 00:31

One of my favorites to Make. My swiss friend who had a shop here showed me how to make it. I use 50% and 50% lean young venison. I actually use whole lemon without the seeds, and onion. It all goes in the Buffalo Chopper.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Thu Apr 07, 2022 04:19

Yes Lorenzoid, I used the Buffalo chopper. I let everything go for quite some time. I wasn't worried about reaching emulsification break and stopped mostly because for some reason my chopper seems to allow a lot of the meat mix to move up the side of the bowl and get strewn all over the floor. I figure I lost somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 lb. So I was at least 10 degrees south of 60F. It didn't seem like pushing it any more was making more of a homogenous paste than I already had.

Fatboyz I didn't have as much "fluff" in this sausage as I expected. But I think boiled up skin would have done this for me...I didn't even think of that. I actually have an entire pork belly skin that I pulled before curing, boiled up until it is falling apart and froze it. I hope I can make some hot dogs before it gets too hot in my garage. I'll use the skins and see if this gives that lightness to the dogs that my weisswurst doesn't have enough of
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Apr 07, 2022 04:25

There's nothing like a fresh Wiesswurst right out of the cooking tank with some fresh bread and Thome mustard!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Apr 08, 2022 06:47

fatboyz wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 04:25
There's nothing like a fresh Wiesswurst right out of the cooking tank with some fresh bread and Thome mustard!
Remember, with weisswurst it has to be sweet mustard! :D

As to the lemon, I definitely would not use lemon juice. The acid breaks down the myosin and will destabilize the emulsion Go the baking section in your supermarket and buy a tiny bottle of lemon extract. 3 to 4 drops per kilo will do the trick.

Now you guys made me hungry for some weisswurst. Gonna have to make some soon.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 09:41

Most recipes I have seen call for a small amount of lemon zest. That provides the flavour without adding too much acidity or bitterness.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Apr 08, 2022 14:02

redzed wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 06:47
fatboyz wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 04:25
Remember, with weisswurst it has to be sweet mustard! :D

As to the lemon, I definitely would not use lemon juice. The acid breaks down the myosin and will destabilize the emulsion Go the baking section in your supermarket and buy a tiny bottle of lemon extract. 3 to 4 drops per kilo will do the trick.

Now you guys made me hungry for some weisswurst. Gonna have to make some soon.
Chris I have heard that about sweet mustard but have never actually tasted any before. I'm up in Edmonton this weekend, I'll have to see if I can find any! Think I'll have Weisswurst for lunch now!
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:15

Händlmaier is hands-down the best Weißwurstsenf.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Apr 08, 2022 23:12

I have used Thomy and Lowensenf. Both are available to me in Atlanta. But here's another option https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade- ... sser-senf/ Kimberly is a stickler to accuracy on her recipes, I haven't made her version but I can vouch for her research, authenticity, and subsequent recipes.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 09, 2022 00:40

[/quote]

Chris I have heard that about sweet mustard but have never actually tasted any before. I'm up in Edmonton this weekend, I'll have to see if I can find any! Think I'll have Weisswurst for lunch now!
[/quote]

I once posted a picture of my Bavarian style weisswurst next to a jar of regular mustard on another group, and was scolded and told that only a Bavarian sweet mustard could be used. Since then, I don't dare use anything else. :D
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:43

redzed wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 00:40
I once posted a picture of my Bavarian style weisswurst next to a jar of regular mustard on another group, and was scolded and told that only a Bavarian sweet mustard could be used. Since then, I don't dare use anything else. :D
The Bavarians apparently have a number of rules, er, traditions about Weisswurst, but I enjoy it the way I want to enjoy it. I don't care for their sweet mustard--I prefer spicy mustard. I'll eat Weisswurst in the afternoon. I'll eat the casing. I'll eat it grilled. I'll eat it in the rain, on a train ...