Bavarian Gelbwurst ("yellow sausage")

michi
User
User

Bavarian Gelbwurst ("yellow sausage")

Post by michi » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:02

I made this because, here in Australia, that sausage doesn't exist, and I used to love eating this when I grew up.

Up until maybe one hundred years ago or so, the sausage used to contain up to 25% brains and used to be called "Hirnwurst" (brain sausage). But now, it's made with pork and veal. People also used natural casings and coloured them yellow with saffron, hence the name.

Getting ready to mince everything:
IMG_4743.jpg
I forgot to take pictures when I made the farce. Just put it through a food processor with some ice water and a little bit of phosphate until it forms a perfectly smooth emulsion.

Filled into 80-mm and 55-mm casings:
IMG_4744.jpg
And into 80ºC water for a minute per mm diameter:
IMG_4747.jpg
After cooling down, slice it like any other sausage for cold cuts. Here with freshly-baked Brezen and home-made Bavarian sweet mustard:
IMG_4749.jpg
Michi.
redzed

Re: Bavarian Gelbwurst ("yellow sausage")

Post by redzed » Fri Apr 15, 2022 15:06

Looks fantantastic! What spices are in there?
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Fri Apr 15, 2022 23:32

redzed wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 15:06
Looks fantantastic! What spices are in there?
The recipe is straight from Marianski.

It's a mild sausage. Think bologna, but white instead of pink. Kids love it :)

In Germany, when I was maybe four or five years old, and my father took me shopping, the butcher would usually hand me a slice of Gelbwurst as a treat. Much the same here in Australia, where the butcher often hands a link of cheerio (think hot dog, but in 5 cm links) to the child. People tell me that this tradition is still alive in Germany, too. :)
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sat Apr 16, 2022 13:54

Forgot to mention: add 1 g lemon zest per kg of meat. Finely chopped parsley is optional.

Grind the veal and pork separately, and cutter the lean veal with just the salt first. Then add the fatty meats and ice and cutter until you have a very smooth, sticky emulsion. Add the spices and optional parsley right at the end. Temperature should never exceed 12 ºC throughout.

If you do use the turmeric that is mentioned in the recipe, don't put it in with the meats. It's meant to colour natural casings. Personally, I find it much easier to use plastic casing. And the sausage actually tastes the same, no matter what colour casing you use ;)
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Sat Apr 16, 2022 20:26

Looks great