Kielbasa Czosnkowa - Garlic Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 22, 2022 16:18

Image Image

It's been now over one month since my garlic has been harvested.. It's at the peak of its flavour and aroma, so it was time to make “kiełbasa czosnkowa”. Garlic is an ingredient in many Polish sausages, but usually in small amounts, 1-3 grams per kg of meat. Such an amount enhances the flavour of the kiełbasa and results in a hint of the familiar aroma, but will not predominate. But if you like garlic and would like to make a statement, you make “Kiełbasa Czosnkowa” where the garlic rules! In this recipe I made a bold and robust sausage, stuffed into a large diameter hog casing and packed with a wallop of garlic and the essence of additional spices. If you have an appetite, this kiełbasa is for you! Please note that the kiełbasa here is made from quality pork in the traditional Polish way: the meats are classified, cured for two days before processing and each class is ground with a different size plate.
Recipe
Meats
Pork, Class I, from ham and butt, 45%
Pork, Class II, from ham and butt, 45%
Pork, Class III, from hocks, 10%.
Ingredients for 1 kg of meat
Non-iodized salt, 16g
Cure #1, 2g
Black pepper, 2g
Fresh garlic, 12g
Hot Hungarian paprika, 1.5g
Coriander, 1g
Marjoram, 2g
Sugar, 2g
75 - 100ml ice water
Instructions
1. Cube all meats in 3-4cm pieces, keeping the different classes separate.
2. Add the salt and Cure #1 to the meats, mix distribute well, place in a covered container and rest in a fridge for 48-72 hours.
3. Grind: Class I pork - 12 mm; Class II pork - 7 mm; Class III - 3 mm plate, two times.
4. Knife puree the garlic or use a blender adding a small amount of the water.
5. Thoroughly mix spices with the Class III pork adding 30% of the ice cold water. This will be the glue that binds everything together.
6. Combine the 3 classes of meats and mix well, adding the balance of the water gradually until a very sticky consistency is achieved.
7. Stuff into 42mm hog casings. Form 10-12inch (25-28cm) links.
8. Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
9. Smoke for 3 hours at 57-60C (135-140F), reposition stick at half time so that the sausage smokes evenly.
10. Poach sausages in 175F (80C) water until internal temp of 154F (68C) is reached.
Smacznego!
Bob K

Re: Kielbasa Czosnkowa - Garlic Sausage

Post by Bob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 15:40

Looks great! Definitely for Garlic lovers!
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Mon Aug 29, 2022 04:37

Looks and sounds great! I have two garlic sausage recipes but they are quite different from this one... It's time to make some garlic sausage.
Thank you for sharing, redzed!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 02, 2022 16:25

Bob K wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 15:40
Looks great! Definitely for Garlic lovers!
bolepa wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 04:37
Looks and sounds great! I have two garlic sausage recipes but they are quite different from this one... It's time to make some garlic sausage.
Thank you for sharing, redzed!
Thanks, it is a good recipe, packed with flavour and the aromas will have your neighbour either fleeing or knocking on your door!
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Wed Nov 01, 2023 01:27

Thanks - recipes looks great - will add to list to make.
You have added sugar to this version, is that just a personal taste or does the formula need sweetness - Just that I'm on sugar watch so I'm very interested. Also haven't been seen here for a while, but happy to have rediscovered my Polish Kielbasa interest. rgds from Oz
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 02, 2023 06:03

Hi Spud, welcome back! Sugar is definitely not an essential agreement in most Polish sausages. Even so when some recipes include sugar. the amount is usually small, 1-3g per kilo of meat. I include sugar occasionally to balance out the flavour especially when a sausage is heavily spiced such as this particular czosnkowa. In some of the older recipes where potassium nitrate was used sugar was added to help the nitrate reductase bacteria break down into nitrite, but with sodium nitrite, it is no longer needed. If you make your sausage according to my recipe without the sugar, you won't be disappointed. You can also take a look at this recipe for a czosnkowa. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... ked-garlic