Kielbasa debowiecka & szynkowa

Butterbean

Kielbasa debowiecka & szynkowa

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 11, 2023 15:55

Using Marianski's recipes as my guide, I made both these sausages last week. For Class I meat, I used pork loin. I was pleased with the results because everyone loved these sausages but I'm often guilty of splitting hairs at times and think next time I will either use some ham in the mix to give them more eye appeal from the rosier color I can get from the ham versus loin. I think a 50/50 mix of the two would be interesting. However, this is just splitting hairs because these are really good as is. Of course, I could also follow the recipe to the letter and not try and please my wife and I would have had more color in the sausage but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I started by cubing the lean loin and curing the cubed it for 3 days then made the emulsions. Since I was trying to make a low fat sausage (for my wife) I changed the recipe for the debowiecka recipe and omitted the 30% pork butt meat which I'm sure affected the color while pleasing the sweet smelling one and her delicate palette. :lol: Nonetheless, all was good in the end. :D

Mince in stuffer
Hung sausages for a few hours before smoking
Smoked in pecan smoke - beautiful color I thought
Finished
Finished
redzed

Re: Kielbasa debowiecka & szynkowa

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 12, 2023 04:20

Hey Butterbean great to hear from you! Those are sure lean sausages! I have friends that avoid fat for one reason or another and would love that type of kielbasa. Since szynkowa is made from "szynka" (green ham), and yours is made from the polędwica (loin), so the name would be "kielbasa polędwicowa". I guess the same would apply to version of Dębowiecka.
Butterbean

Re: Kielbasa debowiecka & szynkowa

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 13, 2023 16:13

Good to be back. Thanks for the clarification. I try to give things the correct name but struggle with the polish language and resort to Google but that often sends me down a rabbit hole so appreciate the correction. As for the debowiecka, Marianki's book Greatest Sausage Recipes on page 99 just says lean pork and the other recipe I used came from Home Production and he only had it listed as Ham Sausage which is why I attempted to name it in polish to give Poland credit. I hope to get a wild pig soon so I'll have some cheap pork and if I do I will try these again using the hams and see the difference. I suspect the color will be prettier.

Yes, it is lean but both are tender and moist for such a lean meat. My wife is on one of those diet things and she is trying to stay away from fats. I honestly can't tell much difference from one to the other but both are good and I guess that's all that matters.