Kabanosy Pikantne – Spicy Kabanosy

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 12, 2023 04:55

I made a small test batch of spicy Kabanosy with a bit of heat. Essentially the same ingredients as in classic Kabanosy but with the addition of hot paprika and chili flakes. Turned out very good, and with just the right amount of heat, placing them somewhere between mild and medium hot. Not enough to overwhelm the other flavours and not enough to make you sweat. There is a nice amount of fat in this run, so I ground everything with the 7mm plate to pacify some of my family and friends who regularly exhibit signs of lipophobia.
Recipe for 1kg of meat
Pork, lean 50%
Pork, (75/20) 20%
Pork pork belly - 30%
Curing ingredients - salt 16g/kg, Cure#1 2g/kg, dextrose 1.5g/kg
Added before grinding:
Fresh ground pepper - 1.5g/kg
Mace - 1g/kg
Caraway – 1.5g/kg (toasted and ground)
Granulated garlic – 2.0g/kg
Hot Hungarian paprika, 2g/kg
Hot chili flakes, 2.5g/kg
Instructions
Cube meats and cure for 48 hours
Add all the spices to the cured meats mix well.
Grind everything with the 7mm plate.
Since the spices were added before grinding, mix the ground meats only lightly, not to the point of being sticky. Do not add water.
Stuffed into 22mm pre-tubed sheep casings. (no blowouts!)
Rest for up to 90 minutes at room temp or hang in fridge overnight.
Dry in pre-heated smoker, (no smoke, dampers fully open at 50C(122F) for about an hour or until the casings are completely dry to the touch.
Smoking at 60C (140F) until achieving the right colour, around 90 minutes, usually no longer than two hours.
At the end turn up the smoker temp and finish (bake) at 80-85C (1176-185 F) around 20-30 minutes to an internal temp of 68c(154F)
Cool by hanging without using water or ice. Dry for a few days at a temp of no higher than 15C(60F) I'm drying mine in the garage, where the temp is around 8-11C(46-52F)
Smacznego!
Posted earlier in the group Polish Sausage Club. https://www.facebook.com/groups/564056007388967

Image Image Image
SixShooter

Re: Kabanosy Pikantne – Spicy Kabanosy

Post by SixShooter » Tue Dec 12, 2023 15:00

Those look wonderful! I've been lurking here forever and I'm happy to see someone posting again. I have only made sausages a few times and I have a question: what is the benefit of adding the cure and spices to the cubed meat prior to grinding? Does it benefit the texture? Thanks in advance. -Sue
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 13, 2023 16:17

Those look wonderful. Kabanosy is one of my favorite sausage. I was happy to find some in the fridge last night that had been forgotten and that was supper. I may give your recipe a try because a little more heat would be a good change of pace.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 20, 2023 08:06

It's actually a traditional recipe just with the addition of the paprika and chilli. Make lots, because those things disappear quickly.