Corned Beef Sausage?

BenjaminTaylor
Beginner
Beginner

Corned Beef Sausage?

Post by BenjaminTaylor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 02:49

Was thinking about goofing around this weekend and trying to make this. Any suggestions?
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 18:24

I've thought about a similar sausage myself in the past. My thoughts were that you'd be able to cut the meat into cubes as you'll be grinding it so that will reduce the brine time. Then they'll need to be cooked before storage as you woun't want the cure to continue working on the meat. Let us know how it turns out.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:55

Well sheeyuks! I've thought about it all weekend and all I can come up with is... there's great sausage and there's great corned beef and even pastrami. Uhhhh, why would you want to stuff corned beef into a casing? Like the Duck says... inquiring minds want to know. :roll:
Sausage is cured at 156 ppm whereas a brine-cured whole muscle finishes at 200 ppm after a lengthy soak - two entirely different procedures. Wow Benjamin, you've sure got me! I dunno. :???:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 19, 2012 14:45

there is a ham sausage that would probably work nicely for this idea. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... am-sausage
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 03:01

Hey Ross, that's a great idea!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jun 20, 2012 03:55

I have made it with pork and with turkey but with the spice mix in the recipe. I believe that if the spice forcorned beef were used with brisket and round it would probably make the slicing sausage that Benjamin was seeking.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jun 20, 2012 04:02

Infamous former chef -turned-TV-star Tony Bourdain refers to sausage as "tubular meat," and loves the stuff so much that he did an entire show on New York City solely about where to get such-and-such hot dogs. Personally, I wouldn't travel to New York City just to eat hot dogs and, yeah, I gave up on watching his show after that episode, but hey! The man has a point. As a meat delivery option, why not consider "tubular meat."

Why not stuff corned beef or pastrami into a casing if you want to? ...great way to deliver it, no matter what use you make of it. Slap on a little kraut and some mustard...

Now, could we please have rye buns? (One can only wish.) :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:48

Topic Split 062012 @ 1943 hrs. by Chuckwagon.
See forum: "Recipes From Around The World" Topic: "Ross' Rye Buns" .
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 03:08

Uh oh! ...looks like I hijacked yet another perfectly good topic thread. (Sorry about that, Benjamin Taylor.)

Seems to me like, since corned beef is already cured, you wouldn't need to do any further curing. On the other hand, corned beef is soaked thoroughly so as to remove most of the salt, so maybe you would, unless you treated it as a fresh sausage and cooked it and ate it within a few days.

Did I miss something? That ol' inquiring mind wants to know. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 21, 2012 14:20

I don't believe that we could convert a cured piece of meat into sausage with any great success but I believe that we could take fresh meat and apply cure and spice and grind it for sausage and get the taste of the whole muscle cured meat. The magic of sausage making is in the proceedures. We can take turkey legs and cut them into chunks mix them with the same spice and cure as for ham, grind a quarter of them and leave the rest in chunks, stuff them into casing , smoke them over hickory for several hours and poach them in water to 165°F and cool them over night. when sliced they are a very good approximation of ham. I have done this with turkey, chicken, and with pork. Pork is better but the poultry isn't all that bad.
I think that getting some brisket and keeping the fat and some lean top round, the fat could be trimmed and saved, the rest of the lean meat cut into chunks. The fat and some of the lean ground to make a 30% fat mince that is mixed with the lean chunks. Add to this the standard 2% salt .2% cure #1 mix plus all of the spice for corned beef. Let it chill for 24 hours and stuff it into 3 or 4 inch casings. Then poach it for several hours to hit the internal temperature we want and we would have a corned beef sausage. They dry cured corned beef for many years before they discovered that they could do it overnight by pumping.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 24, 2012 03:52

I have a batch started using some chuck that I found in the bargain bin for a buck and a half a pound . Cut out two nice steaks and 2.25 pounds of lean meat and fat trimming. The fat has been ground and mixed with the cubed lean and the salt cure#1 and the seasonings mixed in. Tomorrow I will stuff into 60 mm casings and post the results.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 24, 2012 18:48

Stuffed! This is a strictly manual operation. One chunk at a time into the funnel. They are poaching now. I will hold them at 165°F for an hour to break down the sinews and connective tissues. Corned beef brisket and pot roast is cooked long and slow.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 25, 2012 03:10

The sausage has passed the Nancy taste test. The spices were a teaspoon each of mustard seed, coriander seed, black pepper corns, two bay leaves and a half teaspoon of ground allspice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 25, 2012 03:13

It isn't pretty but the taste is pure corned beef it could use a larger percentage of mince and definitely larger casing.
Ross- tightwad home cook