Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Feb 05, 2011 17:34

The minced garlic in a jar will work, but it will not have the "bite" of fresh garlic. With the fresh chopped garlic you also get the "oils" from it that you won't have with the canned.

I've used it, and it works fine, but I prefer the fresh.

Looking forward to seeing how you do!

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 01:25

Howdy SmokeEye from Arkansas. And welcome aboard. Lots of fine sausage makers here and you are #98. We're growing. Looking forward to sharing info with you. Hey SmokeEye... I've got some "western wisdom" for you... "If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you`ve got an electrical problem". :shock: Good to have you here Smoke!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 01:53

Hi Palace Hill,

I`d sure like to be a varmint in yer` vest pocket today at the Erie Farmer`s Market. That sounds like fun. And sooo much to choose from too. I might be wrong but I think marjoram is the signature spice in kielbasa. I don`t believe I`ve ever had it without kielbasa. We`ll have to check with Siara on this one, but I think the Poles indeed use marjoram in their luscious kielbasa. And... oh yes, I`ve only been wrong ONCE in my life, and that was once when I THOUGHT I was wrong! :shock:

All kidding aside, Trosky and I want to know just why you believe the Steelers will shred cheese tomorrow! And what is this ... snow in Texas? We`ll have to move next years game to Ecuador or Bolivia! :lol:

Hey, I`m not being a "smarty" but here`s the reason REAL garlic will sneak up on your taste buds, sack your cricoarentenoids, then kick a field goal through your rima glottides - making them forget the fact that tomorrow`s game has NO cheerleaders in it! (What a bummer eh?)

Garlic is one of the few fresh ingredients you may add to sausage. Rytek Kutas didn`t even bother peeling the stuff; he simply tossed it into the grinder`s hopper with the paper skin intact! Of course, the root was removed. Now, picture this Palace Hill... the amount of flavor extracted from garlic depends upon the extent to which a clove is cut or crushed as the cells of the plant are ruptured releasing allyl sulfenic acid - an odorless chemical - combining with the enzyme allinase. The compound created is known as allicin - the stuff directly accountable for the fundamental aroma and flavor of garlic. The more the plant is broken down, the more enzymes are released as its "bite" becomes stronger. Bottled (prepared) it loses its kick. That`s why most folks either use the freeze-dried granules or fresh garlic. Cooks should realize that allinase becomes inert whenever heated beyond 150 degrees F. and no new flavors may be rendered from the plant - a desired characteristic when it comes to the preparation of "baked garlic".

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Sun Feb 06, 2011 14:08

Hey CrankyBuzard and Chuck, thanks for the replies.
Got everything I needed Now to do the fun part. I may have to put off grinding for a day or two, the schedule is getting full as usual.
I always love the smell and taste of real garlic, nothign quite like it. The jar stuff works nicely for fast cooking, but there is a differance.
As for garlic. When I went to Erie County Farms Market, they only had elephant garlic left; I guess we were a little late. We didn't get there till noon.

Question - What exactly is "elephant garlic"? They are huge compared to regular garlic, but is the taste and flavor the same? Elephant doesn't sound too "Polish" to me :-) Thoughts???

I picked up an eleven pound pork butt yesterday for $1.19 / lb. How's that compare to your pricing where you shop. Most stores in towns near us don't even carry pork butts; go figure.

I'll try to get a couple of pics when making my "batch" To open myself to constructive criticism. Please be kind if I do; especially of the mug.

Time to get ready for church.

Take care
Palace hill
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Sun Feb 06, 2011 15:07

Palace hill wrote: What exactly is "elephant garlic"?
Elephant garlic is not as strong as the smaller garlic. I think I would double amount. The garlic I use has a purple colored skin. Don't know the name of it .
Palace hill wrote:I picked up an eleven pound pork butt yesterday for $1.19 / lb
$1.19/Lb good price they are $1.49 to $1.79 Lb here. The large butts tend to be a little on the fatty side but will make good sausage. Good luck and keep us posted.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

No pork butts?

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 18:12

Palace Hill wrote:
Most stores in towns near us don't even carry pork butts; go figure.
Well now, it's time to take matters into yer' own hands! Feed your horse a bucket of beer, a gallon of molasses, a dozen pickled eggs, and an entire box of laxatives :shock: ! Then ride him into your local grocery store, down aisle thirteen to the meat department and demand to speak to the manager. He will be interested in what you have to say... believe me. Ask him politely to convince the butcher to order in a full and regular supply of pork butts. If he agrees, have your horse exit the store immediately and wait for you outside while you finish talking to the police. The bottom line? They will probably start carrying pork butt in the meat department. Be sure to thank the manager by keeping your other animals out of his store.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Welcome New Members!

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 05:44

Hi Petesque, Welcome to the forum. You are the site's 98th member. I see that you`re from the same state as that big ol` show off named Trosky. He is so full of it! He once told me that he would agree with me... but then we`d both be wrong! :roll:
And he thinks he`s a good shot too. He told me his secret was, "to be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and then call whatever you hit... "the target"! :shock:
We`re glad to see you Petesque. Are you a beginner or an ol` pro at sausagemaking? What's in your smoker right now? Anything exciting? Looking forward to chewin` the fat with you once in a while! Again, welcome aboard.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:50

Welcome Petesque good to have another Buckeye here. What part of the state you from?
N.E. here. Ohio=2 Utah=1. Watch out CW we have you out numbered.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 09:29

A big welcome to our newest member Frank. He's our last double digit dude! Frank is member #99 and he's from Moscow, Idaho - a neighbor of mine. Did you folks know that there are parts of that state where man has never stepped foot! Great fishin' too. Do you smoke some of that salmon Frank? Geeze... these guys even stake 'em out on a plank and stand them up to cook next to their campfires. Welcome aboard Frank. We're glad you're here.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:20

Hi wood igniters! We have two more great-lookin`, above-average intelligence members! How do I know that? They both make sausage don`t they? It just stands to reason they are very smart people. Welcome aboard Minaben from Colorado, and jarod78 from Poland. Nice to have you here sausage wranglers!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 22:55

Welcome aboard Darthfrog from Burnaby, British Columbia. Wow! Home of the Vancouver "Sky Train". (East - west rapid transit). What a terrific way of getting around. Shucks Darth, somethin` like your sky train just might put the horse into retirement eh? :wink: Glad to see you here Darthfrog.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 07:47

Thanks for the warm welcome, Chuck. It's very nice to come into a community that is so inclusive and welcoming to newcomers and I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot here.

I've just received the Marianski's & Miroslaw Gebarowski's "Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipes and Instructions " and am wanting to take my sausage making skills to the next level. I've been making sausage up to now with recipes and instructions from Ruhlman & Polcyn's "Charcuterie " as well as Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book. I also have Rytek Kutas's book.

I've started a batch of Krakowska Sausge (p. 140 from the Polish sausage recipe book) as a first effort at Polish sausage. When I was a kid, growing up in Winnipeg in the '50s, I had Polish immigrant neighbours, Steve and Julie Masur, who once gave me a chunk of the most wonderful sausage I'd ever had to that point in my life (and I'm not sure that I've had much better since then). Recalling if from childhood memory, it was a smoked sausage about 2" in diameter but what I really enjoyed were the big chunks of ham embedded in the sausage. I'm trying to recreate that childhood memory and I think the Krakowska Sausage might just be it. And if it isn't, well, then I'll just have to keep making more sausage. Oh what a fate. :grin: Come to think of it, that piece of kielbasa that Julie gave me might well be the spark that ignited my love of sausage.
Chuckwagon wrote:If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill!
:lol: I love that one! I want that on a t-shirt. Or, better yet, an apron for the grill.
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30

Welcome to the board Darthfrog; Just last week my wife brought home a sausage called "Krakow" probably an American version of "Krakowska krajana". It brought back memories for me as it was a well made and very good sausage. Its definitely one I'm gonna have to try to make myself. Let us know how yours turns out. Don't forget the pic's
Trosky
Marz o tym, jakbys` mial wiecznie zyl, zyj jakbys` mial umrzec dzis
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 01:25

I also would like to say welcome Darthfrog! Looking forward to MANY of your posts in the near term!

Also, got your e-mail, DOH!!! Thanks for the catch, and yes, it REALLY needs to be updated... Starting that tonight.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Welcome

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 04:47

Hello and welcome aboard to two new members! There`s Niels from Melbourne, Australia and Villmarskokken from Inderoy. (uh, folks... that would be Nord-Trondelag Norway). We`re glad to have you folks join us and hope you will write in often. I`m a bit ashamed to say that I know very little about Norwegian sausages. Last year, Nord-Trondelag topped 131,555 inhabitants and I can`t seem to name just one sausage from this great country. :oops: Villmarkskokken, you may just have to enlighten some of us reserved cow kickers a little. And Niels, how about tellin` us what kind of wood you fellas smoke with "down under". :smile:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon