Gas or electric heating for smoker

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Gas or electric heating for smoker

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 01:19

My newest smoker is nearly ready but I like to be able to control the inside temperature by way of either gas or electric heat. I have a venturi smoker already fitted so only need the heat source.
Gas would be easier due to the location of the smoker but electricity would be easier to control to maintain a steady temp, to me anyway.
If I use electricity I need to run an underground power cable with all it's hassles.
For Gas I only need a gasbottle and burner but what sort of controls do I need?
I asked around but people looked at me if I emigrated from Mars.
Any members with experience that can advise me. Our Electricity is 240V 50 Hz.
Thanks in advance.
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 23, 2012 04:43

The oven in the stove on my boat uses a steady flame adjustable burner and a thermometer. With the smoke house you could do the same and make adjustments for the outside air temperature. You would need more heat on a cold day than on a warm day. I have been taking burners and burner controls from BBQ's and stoves when ever I can find them. You can reduce the heat output on a burner by changing the orifice on the jet, Just solder it shut and drill it with a smaller hole. You can also control the heat in the smoker with ventilation.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jul 23, 2012 04:54

My first question for you would be what size is your smoker. I was recently contemplating the same thing and I realized that gas was just too efficient a heat source for the size of my smoker (which is good size at approximately 20 cubic feet. I haven't plumbed everything up yet but I was steered towards an 8" electric hot plate by the good folks over at Allied Kenco.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 08:53

Jerbear,
Following are the internal sizes of my new smoker. Height 155 cm. Width 75 cm and Deep 80 cm. Fully insulated all around including the bottom.
What I like is to have to be able to set a required temperature and return after a specified time to find everything finished.
With gas this might be more difficult than electric. I am just wondering if an electric hotplate would be hot enough to reach certain temperatures.
With my old smoker, I just hover around the house for hours on end, doing jobs in between, not a bad filling in of the day as I sample my distilled and brewed goodies all at the same time.
Regards,
Jan.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jul 23, 2012 14:35

Your smoker sounds to be a bit larger than mine but I don't see why electric wouldn't work. Your max temp is really only going to be about 70-ish Cel.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 23, 2012 15:55

The problem with most thermostats is that they are either on or off. So you get full power on and no power off. It would be nice to have a thermostat that functioned like a throttle or cruise control in a car.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:10

Ross,

Couldn't you do that with a hotplate a one of the thermostat controls used for curing chambers?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:16

I am studying that .
Ross- tightwad home cook
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Sausagemaker has a gas valve that can can be controlled by

Post by btedeski » Mon Jul 23, 2012 20:25

Sausagemaker has a gas valve that can can be controlled by there thermostat

http://www.sausagemaker.com/49900gassmo ... embly.aspx
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 24, 2012 03:17

Several years ago I bought a small gas fired space heater and took it apart and rebuilt it as an unvented fireplace. It has a pilot light and a thermostat and could easily be adapted to an adjustable burner. That way the burner could be set to be just a little more than was needed to provide the desired temperature and the thermostat could limit the heat. The pilot light could relight even a very low burner flame and if there was a complete flameout it would shut off the gas.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 18:20

Bass pro sells a replacement 1500watt heating element for brinkmann smokers I used and have had very good luck with. You would have to have a thermostat to control it though.
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 22:30

One of these would work quite nicely for controlling an electric setup.

Dual Digital Display PID Temperature Controller
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 24, 2012 22:44

Electricity is the most convenient if the smokehouse isn't too remote. I think that if the smokehouse is remote then cold smoking and oven finishing may be a good option. Precise control practically demands electricity at least for the controller. Gas is the best source of heat considering cost and control. Wood is the lowest cost of smoke if the wood is collected. Pellets are the most convenient.
I can set up for a permanent cold smoke house for fifty dollars. Add heat and I add 200 to 400 dollars if I want good control. I have an oven that will hold plus or minus 5 degrees and can easily be adjusted over time. The lowest temp I can set is 170.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tatoosh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tatoosh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45

I have contemplated the same question and I tend toward the propane solution, turned down and then possibly using a mixture of charcoal and wood for smoking. But the propane is not being used a primary heat for most smoking, but as a supplemental source and to keep the charcoal going. A friend in the States has this sort of setup and likes it very well using it almost year round.

Here in the Philippines, electricity is expensive and not so dependable. Brown outs (aka black outs) are not uncommon and could cause some real problems for a smoker. Currently I am using a Weber kettle grill and may reconfigure it to a Weber Smokey Mountain format. But ultimately I want a cabinet smoker with a propane set up that I can use for both warm and cold smoking.

The insulated 5' by 2 1/2' by 2 1/2' (roughly) smoker sounds perfect! If total lack of attention is your goal, I think electric is ideal, since your power in the UK is much more stable. The set and forget aspect is very tempting. But not a choice I would make in the Philippines.
Mabuhay Pizza & BBQ! Weber 22.5 OTG - Smokenator 1000 - Pizza Kettle