You are invited to share the means of your livelihood.

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 02:07

I don't have a food related job, and don't plan to. I'm software engineer, and my background is pure mathematics (if there are any math lovers out there, it was non-commutative ring theory...but that was another life, 30 years ago).

I'm happiest making food in the kitchen...sausage, obviously, but also beer. I've tried my hand at Montreal-style smoked meat (i.e. Romanian pastrami)...not a total failure. :smile: One day, when my wife's not looking, I'll try baking Montreal-style bagels. :wink:
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 01, 2012 02:15

For your bread making do you use baker's percentages?
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 02:24

Wow fresh made bagels with a thin slice of prosciutto, yummoo! :razz:
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 02:46

ssorllih wrote:For your bread making do you use baker's percentages?
No, you misunderstood me, I haven't done any baking yet. My wife sometimes bakes bread, and tells me I have enough hobbies, which is why I said I have to wait until she stops looking.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Aug 01, 2012 16:39

ssorllih wrote:Ray , I hate to be a kill joy but in 1972 $3.75 per hour were pretty good wages. Now forty years later it is just over half of minamum wage.I can't help but think that the next 30 or 40 years will do the same thing to a dollar. Pension income is tenuous at best. With modern health care you need to plan financially to live past 90 years. It won't be any fun to out live you money.
I started my apprenticeship in 1969 and the $3.73 an hour I was getting paid was big money for a kid not yet 18, it's nothing now. I bought my first 700s.f. house in Redwood City in 1971 for $27K. I lived in, expanded, remodeled, and leveraged that house into a couple of others over the years, and after 30 years I sold it for a hair under a million bucks. A big chunk of that dough got turned into 10oz. gold bars in 2002 at $465oz, they live in a safe deposit box at my local BofA. My dad always said the biggest mistake a man could make would be to outlive all his money, and I listened to my wise old father. He also used to say,"remember Raymond, any dumb ass can marry a poor one". My wife's a CFO in the Silicon Valley, masters degree in international finanace from Northwestern U, much smarter than a old carpenter like me. She probably about as smart as my father was! We've been married 18 years now, never had a fight.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Aug 01, 2012 16:48

crustyo44 wrote:Ray,
Just imagine if you live in the EU, where governments in the northern region plunder private retirement funds to prop up banks and governments in the southern region.
See how diplomatic I am, no longer am I mentioning names.
I just love your photo's, keep up the hunting and fishing. I will start again soon I hope, first ,y shoulder and elbow have to get back to normal, they have to adjust to some staineless paltes and screws.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Hang in the Jan, time heals all wounds. When you get back out there try to go with some youngsters like I do now. Shoot a pig, let it roll down a canyon, tell them to get down there and get the dammed thing up. Better yet, just shoot them thru the head from the front seat of a jeep!

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 02, 2012 08:12

Hey Ray, welcome to the WD community! Hope they ship you that 30lb. smoker so that you can test it out for us. I have been thinking about getting it. And you are one lucky guy with access to the wild pigs! Man, the things I could do with that meat!
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Jan 14, 2013 23:59

Hi

I am a Registered Nurse working on an Acute Medical ward.

Mark
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 01:56

air traffic controller
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Jan 15, 2013 02:19

I have been a union electrician for eleven years.
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Sun Jan 19, 2014 19:19

Devo wrote:I been a papermaker for the last 37 years. At the mill I work at we make newsprint paper. When I started there it was called Great Lakes Paper and has since gone through at least seven name changes. At one time we had 3 paper machines running and 1500 employees at the mill but do to the internet and tablets we are now down to about 400 people and one machine. I have a crew of 6 guys all between 45- 52 years old and boy its like babysitting a bunch of kids. Can't wait till I retire in another 2 years. :lol:

Devo, I've seen quite a few of those BIG rolls of paper in my time. I'm a freelance graphic designer and I used to go to various printers all the time to do press checks for my client's work. It always amazed me how newsprint presses could run with every mechanism in sinc, and not rip the paper. I've seen some pretty big presses, which were a long line from the paper roll to the end where the newspapers ended up in stacks printed, cut, and folded. Amazing!
ericrice
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ericrice » Sun Jan 19, 2014 20:07

I guess I would be considered a suit and tie kinda guy (based on occupation) I oversee a 500 person contact center. Really nothing like that stereotype though - lucky if I shave once a week and give me jeans any day of the week. I love anything food related and find it relaxing. I've tried and attempted to master all kinds - sushi, artisan breads, have 2 smokers - an offset barrel and an electric (smoking tex). Latest on the list was charcuterie and as I'm sure we all know the most difficult to master (if mastery is possible).

Other than that I consider myself blessed to have married the woman of my dreams (15 years) and we were recently blessed with a daughter who's every bit as amazing as her mother. The motto I live by and about sums me up "work hard and play harder".

Glad to have found this site - already obvious it's a great group!!
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 20:19

Well it sure is nice to have you folks with us. The info is very interesting. Best of luck in all you do. Relax and kick yer' boots off. You are among friends here. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D