[USA] Hip Shot" Hamburgers

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Hip Shot" Hamburgers

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 05:03

Crumbling, Dry, Hamburgers? Try "Hip Shot" Burgers

Have you ever wondered why the burgers down at "Al`s Malt Shop" always keep their shape as well as their juices? And just where does that particular special flavor come from? Whenever many people make a burger at home, it crumbles and shrinks and the juices remain upon the griddle as the burger is removed from the heat. The secret for making the best burgers is the addition of the natural "binding" power of soy protein concentrate. The product is natural and, as its name implies, it is simply concentrated soy bean protein. Soy protein binds comminuted (ground) meat together, and for that reason, it helps in retaining its natural juices. This of course, keeps it from shrinking.

It has one shortcoming only - the meat becomes a little more difficult to "sear" or brown while cooking. However, adding a little powdered dextrose or corn syrup solids, adding their own flavors as well, easily solves this problem. Please note these products are also "natural" and used in most commercial sausage kitchens today. Don`t be hesitant to use these products in your cooking as they are completely safe and contain no additives, preservatives, or foreign chemicals. Powdered dextrose is only 70% sweet as sugar and its weight forces itself into the cells of the meat more readily than other types of sugars, for complete distribution.

Years ago, the best burgers were charred outside and barely pink inside. People would then - and still do - judge the "doneness" of a burger by its color. That "technology" is old stuff and went out with Betty Boop and running-boards! Today, we must protect our guests against possible salmonella, listeria, e-coli, and a host of other bacteria, by cooking the burgers until their inside temperatures register 150 F. or thereabouts, allowing the "carryover" to finish bringing it up to a preferred temperature - regardless of the color or char on the outside. Burgers are "medium" at this point. A professional always uses a thermometer. The "baby-dial" is perfect for grilling burgers. The combination of beef and pork along with the listed ingredients make a burger most folks rave about. Why not give them a try. Here`s a good recipe for tasty non-shrinkin` burgers that hold their juices and won`t fall apart on you:

Chuckwagon`s "Hip Shot" Hamburgers

2 lbs. pork shoulder
3 lbs beef chuck
1 tblspn. powdered dextrose
3 tblspns. soy protein concentrate
1-1/2 tblspns. un-iodized salt
1 tblspn. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tspn. coriander
1/2 tspn. nutmeg
1/2 cup ice cold whole milk

Trim the shoulder and chuck and cut it into inch squares. Grind the nearly-frozen meat with its fat through a 3/8" plate. Mix all the other ingredients into the meat and distribute them thoroughly as you develop the actin and myocin. When pulled apart, the meat should be slightly sticky with soft peaks. Be careful not to over-mix the meat. Form 1/2 pound patties, flattening them evenly with a rolling pin. If you prefer burgers "griddle-fried in smoke", simply place your portable griddle (or cast iron black skillet) on top of the grilling bars of your gas or charcoal grill using plenty of dampened hickory or other hardwood to provide the smudge. Try apple, mesquite, alder, and oak. Don`t even think about pressing the patties down while they`re cooking! Put them on the griddle and allow them to sear before turning them over. You should only have to turn them once.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Sep 04, 2012 22:51

I'm growing a impressive Word folder with some of your recipes, tho this one came two days late for me to use right now. I finally found powdered dextrose at a store that specializes in selling vitamins and health food suppliments. Ha, go figure! I got a order of some things from PS Seasonings and was suprised to find that a couple of the items contained 16oz packs of soy protien concentrate, had no idea what I was ever going to use it for, I'll probably try this one out also. Still too hot here to feel comfortable firing up the smoker, thinking things will cool off a bit after I get back from a weekend in Reno.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:01

Hi Ray,
I made these once for a party on my back deck. After biting into one, some yahoo knelt down and "proposed" to me. I chased him off with a big stick, laughing of course. Lots of folks have said these are the best they've tasted. Hope you try 'em... just don't propose to me or I'll have to get out my saddle carbine. :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56

What would happen if you used milk powder instead of the soy protein concentrate as the binder?
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Tue Sep 18, 2012 13:27

Chuckwagon-another "Home-run" recipe. I made these for dinner last night and they were a big hit with both my wife and myself. A great burger, one of the best I have tasted and my wife loved them(she is not a burger fan)! I didn't have the Powdered Dextrose so I subbed Corn Syrup Solids at the same measure-if it made any difference it wasn't detrimental.

Thanks for a great recipe-

NorthFork
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Sep 18, 2012 15:56

CW,

Thanks for a great burger recipe. The only change I made was to substitute kosher salt that I had smoked myself. I froze them for latter use about a week ago and finally got a chance to try them last night. They were really good and didn't shrink at all. The smoked salt gave them a nice smoky flavor even though I cooked them in a frying pan.
Rudy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:35

Wow guys, it sounds like you all had great burgers! Nice going. Markjass, to answer your question... sure, go ahead and use it.
Rudy, just wait until you taste one smoked on the grill. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 26, 2013 20:16

I just picked up nine pounds of tritip on sale ,$2.99lb, to grind for burgers. Also happen to have 21lb whole porkbutt thawed to make some sausage tomorrow. Going to make a five pound batch of this recipe and grill some up for anniversay dinner, my gal loves burgers and steak fries. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun May 26, 2013 21:19

I'm going to try that
Col. Big Guy
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon May 27, 2013 17:39

Made these last night for the three of us and recieved rave reviews. Sauteed some shrooms and made my wife a swiss-mushroom burger, a avocado-cheddar burger for my FIL, and a southwest bacon cheesebuger for myself. All the burgers came off the grill still a little pink in the middle, served on a crustini bun, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Another great recipe, thanks again CW. RAY
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 28, 2013 02:26

Glad you enjoyed it, Ray. :wink:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Hipshot Burgers

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jul 27, 2014 23:21

I finally found some beef under four bucks a pound, London broil for $3.49lb, so it was time to once again make a batch of CW's Hipshot Burgers. This recipe has become a staple in our house and when I brought a dozen burgers to BBQ to a social gathering a month ago the reviews were thru the roof, crowd loved them. I had six pounds of porkbutt (99≠lb.) leftover from Fridays wild hog sausage effort, and everything else available in my pantry

Hipshot Burgers

9 lbs. beef
6 lbs. porkbutt
9 tbsp SPC
4 & ½ tbsp canning salt
3 tbsp ground pepper
1 & 1/2 tsp coriander
1 ½ cold milk
A nice load of meat
All run thru a medium plate
Mix the dry with the cold milk for easy mixing and even dispersal
Forward and back in the mixer for about five minutes until sticky
Each burger weighs eight ounces, done in 20 minutes
I put the patties in the freezer for 90 minutes before shrink-wrapping to maintain form
I've ground up boneless ribeye steak for burgers before, these have better flavor by far. Try them out, but be warned, you make them once and you'll be making them every time you want a burger. RAY
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:23

Another nice job, Ray! They look great.

And Ray, I couldn't agree more. We made a batch just two weeks ago. We love them and can't keep them around. Chuckwagon sure has a hit with these. But, Jean can't seem to remember their name, as she refers to them as "Hot Shot Burgers".

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 28, 2014 04:06

I went looking for that formulation yesterday and couldn't find it. Good timing. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 05:14

Thanks Ray! I put this recipe in the beginners section (stickies) long ago. It's to show beginners the effects of soy protein concentrate in the mixture to keep it from shrinking in the fry pan. The little subtle hint of coriander and nutmeg add just the right finish on the flavor, and milk is an item many just skip over in making a good burger. I'm glad you enjoy the recipe. Thank you for the kind words.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S... A "hipshot" is a round discharged from yer' ol' .45 caliber hog leg fired prematurely and even recklessly from the hip at the first sight of that danged Texas Duk! Sometimes there's just not time to aim. :shock: One of these days I'll trim his tailfeathers! :roll: Danged, rabid Duk!