[Ausl] Stifolder

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

[Ausl] Stifolder

Post by snagman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 04:34

Many immigrants from Germany settled in the south of Hungary after WW1, bringing with them traditional recipes which were later modified to suit local conditions and taste preferences. This smoked and dried sausage has a long history, still a speciality today. More like a salami in size and preparation than a sausage, it is delicious, sliced thin with a slice of bread and maybe a piece of capsicum, or cooked in a dish.

For 1 Kg Pork - 70/30
32g Sweet Hungarian Paprika
20g Salt
2.5g Ground Black Pepper
36g Fresh Garlic ( crushed and with tbspn water simmered to a paste )
3g Hot paprika
Cure #2

Grind meats using large plate. Mix with spices and rest in fridge 3 days, turning over daily.
Add ground frozen fat, stuff into 40mm collagen, packed very tightly. Rest in fridge overnight, smoke for four days, day of rest between. Hang/dry for two months.
For those with a preference for smoked sausage, I recommend this great tasting example, especially if you can put up with the long curing time !
Regards, Gus

Last edited by snagman on Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Sep 26, 2012 13:29

Snagman,

This sounds like something worth trying. Can you add a little detail on drying the sausage. Does it require a drying chamber or can it be dried at room temps or in the refrigerator? Is humidity critical?

I don't have a drying/fermentation chamber (yet) so I would be limited as to the degree of temp/humidity control I could apply.

Thank you
Pat
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 26, 2012 13:53

Gus, It sounds terrific. But how much cure#2 ? 2.5 grams/ kilo?
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 20:53

Hi Gus,
Looks great!!!!!!! It just has to wait until winter arrives here in Queensland or until I have a curing chamber with refrigeration in it.
The sample you sent me awhile back had a great taste. I like your smoke, rest, smoke schedule.
Regards,
Jan.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Sep 26, 2012 21:13

Hi Gus.

It looks like a good europian salami. I was also born in Hungary, and I remember when my great grandfather got up early, to wet the sand in their fruit cellar. Summertime he opened the window early to get some fresh air in, wet the sand for humidity, the humid air also carried some of the heat away, and when it was warming up, he closed the window.
Today we turn the dials..... :wink:
Reminds me the people in the dessert covering their water bottle with wet rags, to keep it cool.
And some people had the luxury to have the underground wine cellars to have the right temperature. My basement stays around 65 degrees too, winter or summer.

COOL. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 01:30

ssorllih wrote:cure#2 ? 2.5 grams/ kilo?
Ross,
2.18 g/kilo in the US I believe.
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Stiffolder

Post by snagman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 01:39

NorthFork wrote:Snagman,

This sounds like something worth trying. Can you add a little detail on drying the sausage. Does it require a drying chamber or can it be dried at room temps or in the refrigerator? Is humidity critical?

I don't have a drying/fermentation chamber (yet) so I would be limited as to the degree of temp/humidity control I could apply.

Thank you
Pat
Hey Pat,
The optimum drying conditions are a steady temperature, around 60 F and humidity around 65%, and some air movement. Lucky for me, the garage under the house has these all year round, so I built a plywood cabinet for the purpose. In the absence of such luck, a drying cabinet which provides these conditions is needed. The fridge is too cold and dry for long term drying in my experience.
Regards,
Gus
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:07

Reminds me the people in the dessert covering their water bottle with wet rags, to keep it cool.
Huh? What's that? Someone talkin' 'bout me again. Huh? What about canteens in the desert? Huh? Someone mention the desert? :roll:

Gus, you ol' hot dog! That stuff is beautiful. I'll bet it melts in your mouth eh?
If you would like me to calculate the nitrate and even a culture, just let me know. :wink:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:22

Chuckwagon wrote:
Huh? What's that? Someone talkin' 'bout me again. Huh? What about canteens in the desert? Huh? Someone mention the desert? :roll:

Gus, you ol' hot dog! That stuff is beautiful. I'll bet it melts in your mouth eh?
If you would like me to calculate the nitrate and even a culture, just let me know. :wink:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CW, In three months or so, I'll report on how it tastes, just starting its journey........ Please calculate the eggzakt time they will take to get to my table based only on known facts :grin:

Have a nice weekend in your new digs !
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 06:11

CW,
You put your foot in it, I would like to know how much Cure #2 for 1000 gram of meat.
Due to the lack of owning a curing chamber and living in a hot and humid climate I never used it yet.
Both my cures originate from the USA. I was instructed by the best man ( vagreys) I know on how to calculate the required amount of Cure #1 including the different strenght available in various countries.
Tom was a patient teacher and explained everything there was to know.
I am still grateful to him. Thanks again Tom for putting up with my stupid questions.
CW, while you're at it, do suggest a culture to suit our winter temperatures as I hate to stuff up Gus's Stifolder next MAY.
Thanks Mate,
Regards,
Jan.