First time making fermented sausage

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

First time making fermented sausage

Post by atcNick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:57

Just got done making 10 lbs of salami Finocchiona. It was fun, but my back is hurting now. I'll post pics and talk about it later

Leg

Back fat

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:05

Whatcha gonna do with all of that sausage?
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:12

Ross,
Don't ask such a question. Most of us know the answer. I can only say for myself that I would be checking them virtually on the hour every hour as well as every day, wishing that they were ready to consume. CHOLESTEROL???????? What is that!!!!!!!!
Nick they look great!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:22

Really good job on those. Did you have fun with the netting :mrgreen: Even with the tools to put it on with I still have a hard time. Keep us updated
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 00:18

Ross, I'll probably give most of it away. Even though I like salami like anyone I think I enjoy making this kind of stuff more than eating.

Jan, that's pretty much what I've been doing the last few hours. Haha

Devo, I used a 3" piece of scrap PVC pipe and worked really well. No problem at all.

Probably the hardest part was stuffing the beef middles. I was doing it by myself, the stuffer isn't bolted down, and it took me about a foot of trial and error to figure out how much these casings would hold.

I'm sitting at 68F and 87-90%RH. The casings appear dry. Haven't touched them. Should they look dry?

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Oct 10, 2012 00:41

I've not gotten into the fermented/cured sausages (yet....just want until December!) but I would expect a certain amount of moisture on the surface as liquid from inside the meat evaporates off. Too wet is a problem and too dry is equally problematic... Yours look good from here....
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 10, 2012 03:34

Nick, A ballbearing pilot chamfer bit in a router will do wonders for the edges of the pipe ends.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 05:01

Looks good Nick. Now the waiting game begins!
BTW, what is the source of the recipe?
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:43

ssorllih wrote:Nick, A ballbearing pilot chamfer bit in a router will do wonders for the edges of the pipe ends.
I thought about that but ended up using a file and some sand paper. Worked okay.

redzed
Posted: Yesterday 23:01 Post subject:
Looks good Nick. Now the waiting game begins!
BTW, what is the source of the recipe?
I used marianksis recipe from the art of fermented sausages book. I did not add the optional herbs and spices.

Added the mold culture this morning. Everything is right were it should be, so far.

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:30

That looks like a fine recipe and it calls for lean ham meat, something I tried to dissuade you from when making salami in one of the earlier threads. I guess I was wrong because a number of Marianski's salami recipes do call for lean meat. Now this makes me want to start a batch myself, the fennel should distinguish it from the salami and soppressata I started this past weekend. I still have some loin and ham meat in the freezer and some fresh first class, hard as a rock, back fat. Might be throwing out a pile of meat if these experiments don't work!

Two more questions for you Nick. Did you install a fan and vent in your converted freezer? And where did you locate the unit? Mine is my lower level workshop/utility room and I'm afraid that soon odours will start emanating from it, and my wife will issue some sort of ultimatum. She is as interested in this project as I am in going to the ballet.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 19:22

redzed wrote:That looks like a fine recipe and it calls for lean ham meat, something I tried to dissuade you from when making salami in one of the earlier threads. I guess I was wrong because a number of Marianski's salami recipes do call for lean meat. Now this makes me want to start a batch myself, the fennel should distinguish it from the salami and soppressata I started this past weekend. I still have some loin and ham meat in the freezer and some fresh first class, hard as a rock, back fat. Might be throwing out a pile of meat if these experiments don't work!

Two more questions for you Nick. Did you install a fan and vent in your converted freezer? And where did you locate the unit? Mine is my lower level workshop/utility room and I'm afraid that soon odours will start emanating from it, and my wife will issue some sort of ultimatum. She is as interested in this project as I am in going to the ballet.
I didnt install a fan. I thought about it but decided not too. I've seen several threads here and on other forums of people reporting more problems than anything from using a fan. Those that didnt have a fan or didnt use it had no issues as long as they opened the door once or twice a day.

My wife is already complaining about the smell. Dont know why she cares, its my garage..haha
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:44

So it's been a little over 2 days now that they've been in the fermentation chamber. I can tell the meat is getting firmer. What should I be smelling at this point? I smell something, neither bad nor good. Hard to describe. Maybe a sour like smell.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 06:19

Nick, you may even detect the faintest odor of ammonia. I wrote a paper about this phenomenon. (see also: Project A). This is natural and only temporary. Don't worry about the aromas (good) and the odors (questionable). They are part of the plan. Have patience and if you've followed Stan's directions to the letter, then you'll have a great sausage. Keep track of your temperature and humidity and make adjustments if necessary. Before you know it, you'll have some great sausage. Be sure to post a few photos as you get further along.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Oct 13, 2012 03:45

I'm at 78 hours in now. Just lowered the temp to 57F and 85%RH. I'm starting to get a few small white specks on the casing which I think may be mold. The pin holes on the casings that I made to let out any trapped air are starting to get little beads of water, as you can see in the 4th picture below.

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate