Post Pics of your Smokers!!

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 01:43

That smoker is hot! Mine looks a playoven compared to that industrial looking job. I can't help but be envious!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 26, 2012 01:59

Jan, your craftsmanship is superb. Are you a metal worker by trade?
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 04:16

Red and Ross,
The only metal work I have done is lengthening and altering golfcarts to suit any application.

The smaller blue smoker I bought as a plant propagator in a recycling yard for $ 100.00.( price still on the door if you look) All stainless inside and 3" insulation. It was like new.
I just added the chimney and installed adjustable air intakes in the bottom.

The big stainless job was a bread proofer, too expensive to repair, bought it cheap and altered it to suit me. Mind you, I might alter it again if somebody comes up with some good advise.
Both units have an adjustable plate in the chimney with 240V computer fan(s) used for drying and making biltong.
Breadproofers are also good for fermentation units, they are all well insulated and are sealed.
It won't do here in Brisbane, too hot and humid and I would have to add refrigeration which makes it an expensive exercise.
By the way, I just found some more for sale here in Brisbane, even 2 door units, dirt cheap.
Regards,
Jan
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 26, 2012 04:26

Jan , would it be practical to duct cold air from a fridge to the proofer? After all you don't need to get down much below 10°C.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Sat Oct 27, 2012 03:55

lrdeer wrote:This is the smokehouse I built around 2 years ago, it is made from Cypress Pine. My intention was to have it wood fired, hence the small brick fireplace on the bottom right, the problem I had was their was no control over the internal temperature of the smokehouse. Once it was fired up the temp. would soar to very hot in a matter of minutes, no good for slow hot smoking. I then bought a dual LPG S/Steel Wok burner, now I can control the temperature to within a few degrees and hold it. The capacity is around 50 Ibs, I also installed a cold smoking unit from SmokeDaddy.com, it is brilliant.
Thats a beaut smokehouse lrdeer, wish i lived closer to Melbourne, I'd be in your backyard visiting... :grin:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 04:26

Ross,
I will write down your suggestion on my list to investigate. A friend of mine in Perth, West Australia is working on a wine fridge conversion, he is an electical guy that seems to know what to do.
I have been trying to convince him to join the forum so he can spread his knowledge.
Tie your smoker down.
Best Regards,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

post pics of your smokers

Post by ursula » Fri Nov 09, 2012 05:42

At last, with some technical assistance, I am able to post a picture of my smoker from Dropbox, which took me several months to build!. This was before having lined it with black plastic, due to condensation and wood swelling problems.

And this is the firebox that feeds smoke to the smokehouse at a pretty constant cold-smoking temperature using fruitwood chips
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 07:50

Ursula, that is outstanding! Just plain jaw-dropping outstanding. Congratulations gal! It is a first-class job and all the guys around here are green with jealousy (including me) :wink: Shucks, as they say out here, "That's cute as a bug's ear!"
The joinery and craftsmanship are just outstanding. Did you draft your own plans? Will you have screens in it as well? What kind of smoke? How about a photo of you along side your artwork? Well done, my dear!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:52

Thats a beaut bit of work there Ursula, well done, love to have one like that :grin:

Re condensation, is there something to paint on the exterior to seal it from rain/fog that wouldn't go through the wood to far and affect the interior, dryer = less swelling ? Maybe a wax based timber application.

Also, would a baffle, say 2/3rds of the floor area, and raised off the floor say 300mm help to direct heat up the walls more and keep them dry and cut down the warping ?

When I first put the sausages in the Aldi gas fired smoke at home they have quite a bit of moisture build up on them until they dry out after about an hour. I keep the top vent wide open for that time and during some of the smoking, this probably enables air flow and reduces any moisture build up.

Just some ideas you have probably already thought of.

Pete
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:57

Ursula - that is a real beauty! Congratulations!

What about putting a small electric heater in it, on its lowest setting, for a few days? To dry out the wood some more. Just a thought.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:58

Remember that condensation happens when the humidity is so high that the dew point is lower than the surface temperature. Think a glass of cold beer on a warm day. Burning wood produces water vapor. A little more ventilation will help to vent the moisture before it condences on the wood.
Very nice carpentry very well done. Paint the iron stove occassionally with some phosphoric acid to control the rust. It converts iron oxide to iron phosphate.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:12

Beautiful job! I can't even cut two boards straight and nail them together.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:14

Hi Ursula,
Your smokehouse looks fantastic and part of your vegetable garden behind it as well.
I bet the smoker produced some great sausages and bacon already.
Great carpentry skills on display here.
Congratulations.
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Nov 10, 2012 00:17

I spent 32 years working as a small contractor / finish carpenter. That is one gorgeous piece of work Ursula, just outstanding! That 12 & 12 roof pitch will keep all the snow of it too! :grin: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 03:06

ssorllih wrote:Paint the iron stove occassionally with some phosphoric acid to control the rust. It converts iron oxide to iron phosphate.
Ross, would that work on a BBQ firebox, too? I'll try ANYTHING to try to keep it from rusting out again. :grin:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.