Schinkenspeck

Maxell

Schinkenspeck

Post by Maxell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 19:13

Last edited by Maxell on Thu Mar 24, 2016 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Sun Mar 13, 2011 00:01

I have had "Speck", Thats what we called it, as a young man and it is very good. But I am surprised to see "Sodium Izoaskorbinianu" In the US it is "Sodium Erythorbate"in the recipe that you listed. Shame on you for adding such chemicals to a fine cut of meat. I just might have to make a "Citizen's arrest". Ya Barney is my hero.
http://www.fao.org/ag/agn/jecfa-additiv ... ve-404.pdf
Trosky
Marz o tym, jakbys` mial wiecznie zyl, zyj jakbys` mial umrzec dzis
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 16:47

Unfortunately I cannot view your pictures uploaded with Imageshack, but can view all the pictures uploaded with photo bucket.This is apparently due to some new policy from imageshack that prevents pictures uploaded with their application from being viewed in certain countries. :sad: :sad: :sad:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 00:19

Robert,
Your schinkenspeck looks wunderbar, I like old hand-me-down recipes especially from Europe, being a clogwog myself by birth.
Just elaborate more for all of us novices on the the quantities and method of the curing ingredients.
Personally I will print it out and stick it on the wall where I can look at it every day.
Being winter here, I will have a go at it shortly.
I only have Cure # 1 and/or # 2 available. Any hassles using it?
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 00:21

Very interesting! It looks delicious.

This has me intrigued, so I attempted to translate the recipe from Polish to English with the aid of "Google translate" with only moderate success.

I did enjoy the last line of the google translation:
"Final stage: schinkenspeck countries in thin slices, put on świeżuteńki Chlebus home spread with butter and the cuts. If you have trouble swallowing, use plum brandy or apple pie."
:mrgreen:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Wed Aug 03, 2011 01:02

That Schinkenspeck looks beautiful. I also tried to get a translation of this recipe to no avail.
Would it be possible to get a detailed recipe looks like a good cold weather project.

John
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 16:19

Thanks Brican, das ist wunderbar. :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks great.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Wed Aug 03, 2011 20:30

OK here we go folks.

1. Pieces of ham need to be dried to the touch before cure is applied.
2. Cure should be carefully applied from each side of the meat
3. Put the layer of cure on the bottom of your cure box,
4. Put the pieces of meet next to each other, fat side down but not to tight. You need to keep natural shape of meat.
5. If you cure big chunks of meat, turn them every second day in the cure box. If you will have layers of meat, make sure that the top one goes down to the bottom and the bottom layer up.
5. Big chunks of meat should be cured 10 to 12 days, small ones ( as on attached photos ) 5 to 7 days. Curing temperature 6 to 8 Celsius (43 to 46 Fahrenheit).
5. Best way to check the curing stage is to make a small cut in the middle and visually check the colour.
6. After curing, soak the meat in water of about 15 Celsius (59 Fahrenheit). 1 hour for each day of curing. 10 days curing = 10 hours in the water. You may change the water in the middle of the process. I do 1.5 hour for 1 day of curing, this you will need to judge yourself depending from you taste.
7. After this place the meat in the cold place 6-8 Celsius (43-46 Fahrenheit) for 2-3 days. This time is needed to dry and mature the meat, but also to equalize the concentration of salt in meat.
8. Last stage is cold smoking, you know how :smile:
9. Final stage is to slice it to very thin pieces and put on the frsh bread with butter.
In case of problems with swallowing, help it with some fine plum vodka "Slivovica" :wink:

Cure mix: ( CW please recalculate for US cures please )

1,0 kg non iodized salt
0,18 kg peklosol
0,06 kg sugar
You can add 0.01 kg Sodium erythorbate E316 ( antioxidant ) for nicer colour.

My pleasure Siara. Here are the U.S. equivalents.

35 oz. (2.2 lbs. = 1000 gr.) salt
6.35 oz. (180 gr.) peklosol
2.11 oz. (60 gr.) sugar
1/3 oz. (10 gr.) sodium erythorbate (ascorbic acid)

White sugar can be replace with brown or maple sugar.

Last edited by Siara on Thu Aug 04, 2011 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 01:26

Robert,
I am sorry for giving you all that extra work Mate but you stuck your head in the noose by showing us all the photo's of these beautiful smoked schinkenspeck pieces. The same as Siara.
Most of us are busting our boiler to get started, in particular me.
Just don't overdo "the working long hours" bit, life goes on with or without you. I found that out many years ago and I am lucky to be alive and still healthy.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 00:53

Robert,
I can see that we are very much the same. Plain bloody workaholics!!!!!!!! I have a stepson that is exactly the same. I have gone back into our family business for a few hours a day to help him out but it has expanded into 10 hour days again.
Those legs look great, I love the coating of fat on them. Taste? here it comes!!!!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 14:01

Brilliant post so far Brican thank you for sharing. :grin:
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Aug 05, 2011 21:34

Brican
Thank you for your post.Looks like a good winter project. Thanks Siara for your help.

John
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 01:03

Congratulations Robert!!!!!!!!!!
You should be awarded an OBE for all the information you so freely shared with all of us.
I will make this Schinkenspeck on a much smaller scale of course but making it I WILL.
I only suggested an OBE because you are a colonial boy like us down under.
Thank you again.
Jan.
Brisbane.
Home Smoker

This is fantastic! I am on my first Shinken Speck Experience

Post by Home Smoker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 23:41

Well, man am I glad I found this. I have just started my first German ShinkenSpeck making process and needed these instructions. My wife is from Germany, I, the US. We love speck from the Southern part of Germany "Weil-Am-Rhein" and I decided to try my hand at making it. We contacted a Farmer/butcher in Germany that we know makes his own and sells the product at the local farmers market there. He gave me a great start.

I'm presenty smoking. I have been smoking now for 4 days. At your suggestion BriCan, I smoked 8 hours day 1, 8 hours day 2 and rested day 3. I'm on day 4 and am smoking again today.

Question; Is it preferable to do the resting in between? What does this accomplish when you say "much needed rest?"

Also, the butcher in Germany told me to cold smoke for a week total. Even if I took a break, I should have a total of 1 week's smoking he said.

Question: Do you agree that a week is necessary?

Next is the hanging and drying. I'm a little not sure about this part. I live in the Southern US where the temperatures can vary widely.

Question: Can I hang at between 35 F and 75 F Successfully with 30 - 60% humidity? The only other option I have is refrigeration. Opinion? I need some help on hanging and drying. Should I wrap in paper?

Thanks so much. Your detailed instructions gave me additional information and confidence I did not have. I think I'm on the right track.

COOL!ImageImage
We should keep old ways alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 08:44

See:
Schinkenspeck Bacon-Ham by Maxell and Siara http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...1e5dea3f9b71de3
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D