Post Your Photo Here-Let's Become Acquainted

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 01:23

Unfortunately, I do not live there anymore. I moved back to the lower 48 for my wife's career. The trade off is that I win every argument when I ask to buy more sausage making equipment. :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 03:11

The trade off is that I win every argument when I ask to buy more sausage making equipment.
Holy Cow! Workingpoor, you've got to be the ONLY man in the lower 48 who can make that claim! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 23:22

Chuckwagon wrote:What a handsome couple! Did you ride your Harley from Illinois to Wyoming?
We did not ride the entire trip. We drove to Rapid City S.D and I rented a bagger for a two day tour of the area. The "I RODE MINE" and "IRON BUTT" patches aren't important to me anymore :lol: It's all about comfort baby!! We turned in the bike and drove to Wyoming for some fun times on our friends "cocktail deck" :mrgreen:
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Nov 24, 2012 19:21

Hello to all, I am 70 and been retired almost 10 years now. My hobbies are cooking and photography, I have cooked, smoked for over 30 years. I have done all the cooking at home, my wife is my prep cook and cleans up after me. Over the years I have went thru, several gas grills, a Brinkman electric smoker, two Master built gas water smokers and a Smokey Mountain chest type water smoker.

Almost 3 years ago I bought a Traeger 07E pellet smoker and love cooking on it. I use it through the winter too, having built a covered deck for it. This will be my second winter cooking on the deck. My photo below was taken last winter.

I grew up around my Uncle`s slaughter house and grocery so I am familiar with butchering. The hot cracklins out of the lard press were the ultimate! The only job he let my cousin & I do was cleaning out the intestines for casings.

My cooking is a mix of mid-west Ohio, southern, Cajun, and German. I like to try new things too from all over the world. I have made a lot of fresh sausage over the years, but have only stuffed some twice. I used my meat grinder to do some chorizo but that didn`t turn out too good. I bought a 7lb vertical stuffer that worked good & made some fresh garlic sausage. I hope to do some more with help from here. Since I have a local butcher close by that has the best sausage and brats around, does not give me much incentive to do my own! Maybe I can get enthused with all your help.

I found this site looking for a recipe for Kassler ham, and used Bubba`s recipe for my Thanksgiving ham. It sure turned out great, thanks Bubba! More searching just turned up more recipes that looked like a copy of his. I thought it tasted like ham, a little sweeter and less salty than most ham. It was very tender but had good texture.

I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 21:10

Welcome Don! Great photo!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 22:54

Now that man is a dedicated smoker! Don, we're tickled to have you join our group. Your deck is pretty cool and that smoke aroma is makin' you smile like a burro eatin' cactus! Say, you look a little familiar. Weren't you on a poster once... in the Post Office? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 02, 2012 07:46

Chuckwagon wrote:Now that man is a dedicated smoker! Don, we're tickled to have you join our group. Your deck is pretty cool and that smoke aroma is makin' you smile like a burro eatin' cactus! Say, you look a little familiar. Weren't you on a poster once... in the Post Office? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
HA! since you recognized me I grew a beard! Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 06:58

Some pretty decent looking folks on this forum it seems!

Here is a pic taken yesterday of 4 GOOD LOOKING kids, and one olde phart!

The beauties on my right are my wonderful nieces, and the dudes to my left are my 2 boys... All 4 of them were helping me cook last night (Dec 26th) but we took a break for a picture.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 03:00

Charlie, with a great-lookin' crew like that, I have just one question. Once you had your arms around them, how did you let them go? :lol:
My goodness, what a great lookin' bunch of wranglers! Brains and beauty both. You're a lucky man Cranky! If I were you, I'd spoil them a little... every chance I got! :wink:
Happy New Year ol' pard!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 05:02

Charlie,
I fully agree with CW. Great looking kids. Do your sons help you as well with sausagemaking, if not, you have to start instructing them on how to do it.
When they have families of their own, they will be grateful to you.
Best Wishes to you and your family for 2013.
Cheers,
Jan.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Buddy and Mason

Post by Big Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22

best buddies Image
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 15:25

There's little Mace! Merry FIRST Christmas fella! Let's see... if he was born about April 11th of this year, then he's going to have a birthday in about only 14 weeks. That's a handsome kid there Colonel! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Buddy and Mason

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 15:45

Big Guy wrote:best buddies Image
Too cute!

Christmas in our household has taken on a new dimension since we've added a Great Dane pup last year. Our Christmas tree now resides 32" up off the floor behind a sofa barricade. This helps ensure both the tree and ornaments remain intact and removes temptation from this sleeping 100-pound toddler.... :wink:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:09

100 pound toddler! That is so true! Some friends of ours have 2 Danes that are less than 1 year old and they are truly in the toddler stage! Nothing is safe from them running falling, sliding, and wagging tails!

Looks like we'll get to see Mace grow up on this forum. That's something I love about places like this! Over the years there are several people that have watched my 2 boys grow into men by doing the same thing Big Guy is, posting pics now and then.

My 2 boys have been helping me cook for a long time now. The oldest is quite good at running the pit alone now and #2 is leaning towards the sausage design element. He's always coming up with a new or improved sausage idea.

Charlie
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:17

Mace is going to be able to go walking anywhere he wants and his buddy will ensure that he gets back home.
Ross- tightwad home cook