Where There's Smoke...

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:02

Oh surrrrre! Chef Of The Northernlights wrote:
Old Chucky bought cigs for 2 cents a carton and gas was free.
Now listen here, you... you... Canadian cookin` hazard! You... you... northern, nefarious, noisemaker! Chef-O, the last thing I want to do is slap you. :shock: But it's still on the list. :mrgreen: However, I would never slap a man chewing tobacco! :roll: And furthermore Woodchef, if I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. Now, straighten up and don`t make me come up there and hurt ya! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Rockchuck Upchuck
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:40

This is WifeyChef,

What the HE!! did you say to my husband? I had to give him CPR! He is frightened out of his wool sox. The thought of an American Sheriff hunting him down has him quaking in his mukluks. :grin:
Oh, wait! He's regaining consciousness. What's that honey? I can't call him that.
Oh dear, the fear has kicked in again and he's out - non compos mentis, or cold, you choose..

Well I have to tell you that I am pissed. I had a long honeydo list for him. :twisted:

Maybe I'll have to track you down.. you, you Homewrecker! :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 19, 2011 03:10

Oh My! now we have an international incident. You guys can expect a visit from Hilary Clinton next. As if there wasn't enough trouble in the world now you two have to stir things up. Gesh!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 07:57

Hi Ross,

Don`t let this northern nut pull the wool over your eyes. Anyone can plainly see he is "hearing the voices again" and is hiding behind the guise of being his wife. I happen to know his wife Barbara and she is a lovely, wonderful, intelligent person. She would never write such "verbage"! I just can`t figure out why she hasn`t called the RMCP to come and "take him away"! Shucks, that... that... that mildewed meat mincer can`t even spell None Compost Mantis! :roll: International incident? Naw, every Canadian official is fully aware the ol` hoot owl is living in B.C. They don`t know what to do about it, but they are aware of it. So, please tell Hillary to stay home..... Please! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Mar 21, 2011 09:57

OK: Everyone calm down! I`ve spoken with Hillariousy and she has agreed not to invade Canada. Apparently she is too busy dealing with Muammar. Now, I`ve been released from critical care and my friends in the RCMP have assured me that the nasty sheriff cannot cross the border in any official capacity. BTW, Barb is still pissed! I took the whole weekend off. She still hasn`t ruled out having you `visited.` :twisted:
I haven`t heard her use those kind of expletives since she caught me with the gardeners daughter, Svetlana. She worked in bridge repair ..... anyway! :grin:
Downside; the honey do list is that much larger. :sad:
So! Now that is out of the way, where in hell have you buried my Jerky recipes? You keep saying that they`re here and there but I can`t find them. The last time I saw my Red Meat Jerky recipe it was filed under `Smoked Pork Products` or something. I may just have to come down there with Barb and tweak your computer. :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 20:59

Hi Gang,
Do you want to see a smoker on wheels that would put a smile on your face even when you are asleep? I saw this beautiful smoker and immediately thought of Gray Goat and Kranky Buzzard who also make their own. Maybe we could persuade Siara to translate a bit and tell us more about these gorgeous smokers. Play the video but don't forget to scroll down the page to see the photos. Click on the site here:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/articles.php?id=751

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Mar 22, 2011 04:49, edited 2 times in total.
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Mon Mar 21, 2011 22:20

Nice blue link, but it doesn't work.
Marz o tym, jakbys` mial wiecznie zyl, zyj jakbys` mial umrzec dzis
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 23:05

Try this one Trosky. Hmmmm... I guess it just wasn't meant to be blue! :lol: Thanks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 22, 2011 01:18

An awesome video! That appears to be community spirit the likes of which only us oldsters can recall. The products are beyond description. I watched the feature 2 hours ago and the pleasant odors still linger.

Thought I'd share some pics of unique smokers and BBQ's. The last one is an outdoor pizza oven which looks easy enough to build. When I'm done building a clone of Cranky Buzzards, smoker; I may attempt something like that. (Right after getting through the honey do list.)

Enjoy!

steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 27, 2011 01:02

ssorllih wrote:Liquid smoke has its place in cooking. I like to make a marinade of vinegar, black bean sauce , soy sauce, bacon oil, and liquid smoke for boneless chicken cut into long strips and skewered. I bake it with the skewers laid across a roasting pan so that they don't lay in their own juice.
Well "Uncle Ross," my family and granddaughter in particular thank you for this excellent recipe. We just finished a meal which included your wonderful skewers. The recipe is now cataloged as "Uncle Ross' Fabulous Chicken Satay" We had a small stir fry, (cabbage, bean sprouts and onions with sesame oil and five spice powder) and Jasmine butter rice.
Superb!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 27, 2011 03:07

thanks for the kudos.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 27, 2011 19:11

I was doing some searching for information regarding the temperature at which wood begins to smoke. This can be of interest because you can heat a smoke house to 250 degrees for cooking and with enough heat (BTU's) at low temperature still not make smoke. With electric heaters I can make a few element very hot or several elements not as hot but with the same btu output. The very hot elements can be used to generate smoke and they could also be powered down to produce heat with no smoke. At about 800 degrees F or about 425 C wood will start producing smoke.
The reference was this very costly book: http://books.google.com/books?id=PO4Dhg ... od&f=false
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07

steelchef,
Last couple of questions I promise. Did you Cold Smoke? or Hot Smoke over the 4 hour period? If Hot Smoked what temp. did you maintain over the 4 hour smoking period?

Also do I understand your comment correctly that you converted your upright freezer into a smoker? Would love to here more about that! details, please details my rookie curitosity has been peaked :shock: :cool: :o :smile:
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 09, 2011 20:34

Well John, until receiving an education here, I have smoked everything the same way. I start out with a cold smoker. The temperature rises as time goes by to a maximum cabinet temperature of about 150F.
As far as the unit itself, it`s a very old Whirlpool with fixed shelves. The interior ceiling, floor, side and back walls are enamelled steel which is left untouched. The shelves are stainless steel with aluminum cooling coils running through them. I removed some plastic trim on the body side of the cabinet and the plastic shelving and insulation from the door itself. I then drilled a 3" intake hole and another chimney hole at the top and bottom of the door. I chose the door as it is only single wall steel while the rest of the unit is all double walled. So fresh air enters the bottom of the unit then the heated, smoky air rises through the cabinet, exiting at the top. I`ve since added another two - 2" holes at top and bottom to which computer cooling fans are mounted. This is to provide more airflow as I noticed sootiness on some products. There was no science or engineering applied. I`m about to begin fabricating a new unit, plans supplied courtesy of forum member Gray Goat.

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 21:50

Steelchef,
Wow what a neat idea for a smoker! I am really impressed with your Canadian Ingenuity! :wink: Really I will be searching the neighborhood for used freezer to make my own version. What I currently have is a Mastercraft Cabinet style smoker (New returned Item that I purchased for approximately half the cost of new). I have been considering modification to allow me to cold smoke with it. So far my idea is to fabricate a fire box that would sit off to the side of the cabinet and some sort of tube (like a dryer exhaust vent) that would allow the smoke to cool and vent its way into the cabinet. Any suggestions or comments on this idea are appreciated from one and all.
Also what are the Gray Goat plans for a smoker that you mentioned are they posted here in the forum?
And thanks for sharing I am learning a lot in the short time I have been a member here!