I think that I have an eating and drinking problem

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

I think that I have an eating and drinking problem

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 13, 2013 04:16

I am very fond of good bourbon, good wines and brandies. I am also fond of homemade sausage and cured and smoked pork and fish. If I made and consumed as much meat as I would like and drank as much fine spirits as I could enjoy I would end up being a grossly obese drunk. Then I wouldn't be able to work enough to support my hobby.
At this stage of my life I think that I have struck a good balance but I have only made about two dozen varieties of sausage and my local wine and spirits store has hundreds of wine labels. Perhaps El Ducko has an answer to this most vexing dilemma HELP :grin:
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 13, 2013 04:56

Ross, you are okay in my books, you like sausage and a good quaff now and then. It's not easy to trust people who don't drink. :lol: And the the fact that you are able to control your basic desires is a characteristic of a strong will and character. And without going further into some sort of sociological mumbo-jumbo, this is what distinguishes us from animals: we are able to control our basic animal instincts and desires. (Well at least most of us do). If I decided to do some of the things that lurk in the recesses of my cranium and what my body sometimes craves for, I would be in serious trouble!
Last edited by redzed on Sun Jan 13, 2013 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 13, 2013 05:03

Heheheheheh!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 13:13

Wine store? you don't need no stinkin wine store. Just like sausages you can make better wine at home. :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:12

Too true. The same with a bit of hobby distilling. No colour and taste additives or methanol and preservatives either and no head aches!!
Mind you, I do not encourage any member to break the law and/or stay under the horizon!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: I think that I have an eating and drinking problem

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jan 14, 2013 05:28

ssorllih wrote:I am very fond of good bourbon, good wines and brandies. I am also fond of homemade sausage and cured and smoked pork and fish. If I made and consumed as much meat as I would like and drank as much fine spirits as I could enjoy I would end up being a grossly obese drunk. Then I wouldn't be able to work enough to support my hobby.
At this stage of my life I think that I have struck a good balance but I have only made about two dozen varieties of sausage and my local wine and spirits store has hundreds of wine labels. Perhaps El Ducko has an answer to this most vexing dilemma HELP :grin:
So many varieties; so little time.

Years ago, the classical radio station in Denver had a DJ who advocated "Life is too short not to go first class... when you can." Well, we couldn't back then, and still can't, but perhaps we can indulge- - be a little bit over-weight, and be sober most of the time.

With experience, we can make sausages like the best you can (or, in most cases, can't) buy. As to the wines, beer, and liquors, we can't necessarily make the best, but we can do better than most that you can buy. The guys at our local horse shoe pitchin' club guzzle mass-produced "lite" beer, but they all want to share my latest batch of home brew Münchner pilsner, and none turn down my bratwurst or smoked brisket.

So, what's my answer? Well, Ross... I'll be right over, to help you consume all that bourbon and sausage and whatnot. I'll bring a keg of my special "Helles Wendel Eimer" (diaper pail pale) pilsner about to finish lagering, and some of our favorite "Texas hot links" sausage, vacuum packed to keep the trail dust out. We'll keep tryin' until we can puzzle this thing through.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.