sausage not quite right texture

cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Sun Feb 24, 2013 00:19

that's what i did but the probe is 6 inches long maybe It got close to the edge at the bottom.
kinda frustrating as its the only thing i didn't double check. they are great now guess i just have to watch closer
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08

Hey, hey, mustang rider! You wrote:
all i can think of is the probe conducted heat or i dident have it centered properly.
Just after the Civil War, when I was just a young Girl Scout, we used to toss whole potatoes into the coals of a diminishing fire. They would bake in about an hour. If we were in a hurry, we would run a 16 penny nail through each one and they would cook in HALF the time. Yes, there is certainly something to what you suggest as the probe transferring heat.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:26

CW , Does that mean that you were scouting for young girls? :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:23

Batch number 2 . this time i put the probe in after smoking and used a dial type thermometer as a back up. managed to experience temperature stall for the first time 4 hrs lol.but i reached the temp i wanted tried a few spots to be sure but everything went smoothly thanks again for the input.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 03:28

I too have had that happen. I had that happen to me when I was smoking a Turkey the thermometer said 160 but I double checked it with my back up and it was not done. I invested in a thermopen the thermocouple is the first 1/2 of the probe perfect for checking snack sticks. Well worth every penny.
My wife even loves it. It's made in England.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 13:06

Ross wrote:
CW , Does that mean that you were scouting for young girls?
Naw... I already had too many girlfriends because of my extraordinary good-looking mustache. My "babe magnet" ya know. :roll: I was just incognito at the time, under deep-cover, furtive, covert, surveillance - trying to lay my grubby mitts on some of those great cookies. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D