temperature stall

cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

temperature stall

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 03:57

So here I sit stalled again. And it seems that I can find out why it happens and have spent time researching it I can not find any information about how to prevent it or at least reduce the effects. As it seems that a thread like this is needed I thank you all for any information you can provide in advance
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 04:17

Hi Cmustang,
Our ol` pal Big Guy would say, "Relax, have another beer, and wait it out"! Just be sure to NOT increase the temperature. If you do, it will ruin the meat. You just can`t rush two things... a woman puttin` on makeup, and the prep cooking of a good piece of meat. If you`d like to read about "stall" on our forum, click this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ight=stall
Also read about it (be sure to scroll down) on the web at this link:
http://www.genuineideas.c...x/stallbbq.html

Hope you "wait it out"! Patience pal... patience.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 04:28

Thanks chuck wagon I am enjoying another beer as we speak I will check out the post you suggested. I just like to get as much information as possible
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 04:46

Sometimes it takes more than one beer. LOL
Col. Big Guy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 05, 2013 04:48

It is really quite simple, the transfer of heat depends upon the thermal gradient. As the meat and the surrounding air come closer to equilibrium the heat gain of the meat will have to slow down. Once the surface temperature of the meat equals the air temperature only the conductivity of the meat will carry the heat to the interior of the mass and the gradient will become flatter and flatter. When we start the ir may be fifty degrees hotter than the meat so the gain is rapid.
It is the old storey of closing the distance by fifty per cent every five minutes. The mathamatician says we will never get there and the engineer says we can get close enough for practical purposes.

Help !! I can't find my spell checker...?????
Ross- tightwad home cook
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 05:05

just about time to switch to whiskey big guy lol
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Apr 05, 2013 14:27

I always anticipate a 'stall'-especially in long (over 8 hour) cooks/smokes.
I used to get frustrated as I had an expectation of an I.T. getting reached within an hour or so (due to the rising meat & calculating the rate of rise) when the temp would stall for several hours.....grrrr. :mad:

On last Easter Sunday, this pork shoulder was cruising along for 5 hours @ 225°F on a steady internal temp rise, but leveled off & remained at 172°F for HOURS before hitting the desired 185°F mark in the 11th hour. Patience, patience, patience.......

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 16:26

the problem I am finding is when I am finished the smoking part the casings are the perfect texture but by the time the it is reached ( in this case 10.5 hours) they are quite dry My cheese smokies taste great but the casings are dry and tough I stayed under 170 but maybe increased temp to fast???
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 17:36

I found this article some time back and am amazed I was able to dig it up. I thought ya'll might find it interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-gol ... 87719.html
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 18:20

I think I understand how it happens but has any one figured out how to lessen the effects More humidity maybe? The genuineidea website is very helpful but the temperature range is different I believe I need to control airflow better maybe.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Apr 05, 2013 18:27

cmustang wrote:I think I understand how it happens but has any one figured out how to lessen the effects More humidity maybe? .
Finishing in a hot water bath maybe. Norcal Kid is the pro on that subject. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 18:37

I am kind of leaning that way for this type of things. Just did some weighing and I lost close to 50% from green weight Starting to think way to much air flow has to be the problem I am using a portable bbq to heat my 3 by4 by 6 insulated smoke house and it doesn't turn down far enough to maintain proper temp so opening doors ect is what I am using. I want to get a tejas burner but not yet
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:00

cmustang wrote:I think I understand how it happens but has any one figured out how to lessen the effects More humidity maybe? The genuineidea website is very helpful but the temperature range is different I believe I need to control airflow better maybe.
More humidity will help cause this will cut down on the evaporation but if you are doing whole meat cuts you can simply wrap in foil after a few hours because after 2-3 hours you will not get any smoke penetration anyway. Of course this helps little when you have a big chub of sausage hanging and the IT is only moving a degree every hour. This is when the whiskey comes out and you hope to God you don't pass out during the wait only to wake up and find you've made raisins.

I have a convection smoker that I use to finish things like brisket or pork shoulder if I get in a bind for time. Its amazing how quick this will cook a large piece of meat compared to the smoker.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:23

Butterbean wrote: I have a convection smoker that I use to finish things like brisket or pork shoulder if I get in a bind for time. Its amazing how quick this will cook a large piece of meat compared to the smoker.
BB,

Is this a commercial or homebuilt? If you don't mind elaborating, I would love to know more about your convection smoker. Thanks.
Rudy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:34

Its a commercial model made by Friedrich. Its nearly brand new and its just something I stumbled across and just couldn't not buy it cause I paid less for it than the company paid in sales tax when they bought it a few months before I took it off their hands.

It does a good job doing production smokes but it just doesn't give the amount of smoke flavor I like in my meats. I live in an area where people are really picky about their BBQ and if its not cooked with wood then it just doesn't make the grade. That aside, the ease of use is incredible and it does do a good job and can cut your cook time down by at least a third. Though I'm not positive, I think it also injects steam into the chamber. It has a three hour smoke box that runs off dust. Pretty ingenious system and I think its comparable to any other system that uses a smoke generator. For production work it will produce a pretty good smoked product but on its own I don't think you would win any contests with it. Not here anyway. It does do a good job on some things but for the most part I use it to finish something that may be stalling in the stick smoker after its had plenty of smoke laid on it.