Pushing the sausage out of the stuffing tube

Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Pushing the sausage out of the stuffing tube

Post by Thewitt » Tue May 21, 2013 14:02

I have been using a grinder to stuff, and though I'll buy a dedicated stuffer soon, I suspect they have the same problem.

When I finish emptying the grinder, the stuffing tube still has several sausages worth of filling inside.

I have been removing the tube and pushing the meat out manually with a dowel, but I stumbled on an easier method, and I wanted to ask your opinions.

I run a couple of slices of bread through the grinder and out thru the stuffing tube. When it enters the casing I stop, pinch out the bread and then go on to link the sausages.

Very simple. Doesn't stop the process, and though it wastes a couple of slices of bread, seems a very easy approach.

Comments?

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue May 21, 2013 14:34

I use dry bread, or cooked rice to push the last of the meat through the grinder and the last of the sausage through the stuffing tube. Rice is best because it is also good in the sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Tue May 21, 2013 14:36

Rice is a great idea. I have lots of rice around here being in Malaysia :)

-t
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue May 21, 2013 22:07

I like to take what's left in the bottom of the hopper and form a couple of pattys, shrink-wrap and freeze. Thaws fast and comes in handy when making a meatloaf. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Wed May 22, 2013 01:50

Thewitt

I've heard of people using both bread and rice for that job.

For me it's mandatory to make a couple patties with the left overs and throw them in the fridge while we clean everything up. Then I fire up the gaser, throw the patties on, pop a wobbly pop, and kick back and enjoy. :grin:

Mike
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 22, 2013 03:30

There are a couple of good reasons to use rice to push the last of the meat. It is easy to separate from the mince and the dog loves any morsel he can get. :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed May 22, 2013 17:38

The Stuffer I use at home, left-over in the stuffer body is very little, excluding the meat in the stuffer tube of course.
Over time I acquired 3 different diameter sized plastic rods, one size for each stuffer tube size, push the meat out with them. Life made easy! :grin:

The rice or bread method also works as well, but I do not have any pets around my home so it would be wasted.
Ron
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed May 22, 2013 23:40

I take my cleaning brush, wrap the bristles in saran wrap and then push the meat out the nozzle of my stuffer into a small piece of casing, any meat in the bottom of the stuffer gets stuffed into the nozzle and also pushed into the casing. :lol:
Col. Big Guy