Recipe for smokies

ikillmoose

Recipe for smokies

Post by ikillmoose » Wed May 29, 2013 15:33

Good day all,

My first post and hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by requesting a recipe. I'm looking for a recipe for smokies. I'm not sure if smokies are only Canadian thing, but I have had little luck in finding a recipe for them. I have Rytek's book along with a few others and for all I know they could be in there, but called something else.

Any ideas?
Last edited by ikillmoose on Sat Jun 15, 2013 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 29, 2013 18:03

There are an abundance of smoked snack sticks and many members have posted poctures and recipes. Just scroll through the sausage pictures until you find some that look familar. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed May 29, 2013 19:45

Welcome to the forum moose. Hang around for a while and you will learn a lot from the other members and especially from our trail boss and mentor Chuckwagon.

The sausages sold in Canadian supermarkets as "smokies" are a variety of cured and lightly smoked sausage links meant to be grilled or reheated before consumption. Some are not even smoked but contain liquid smoke flavour and are steam cooked. Most of them are also quite fatty so that they are "juicy" when you bite into them. Like most commercial wieners, the quality of meat in the supermarket smokies is quite low and they are highly processed.

To make your own, just make 6 inch sausage links with whatever flavour you like, smoke lightly and finish by poaching. Last summer I made some using a Polish sausage recipe (salt, cure, pepper and garlic) and threw in some cheddar cheese. I also added some soy protein (which I usually don't), so that the sausages retain their moisture a bit better and don't come off the grill too dry. You can also add some heat with dry chili powder or even from a bottle.

I also noticed that Stuffers Supply has a smokies kit, that might be worth trying.
http://www.stuffers.com/product_p/biseresmokie.htm

Hope this helps.
ikillmoose

Post by ikillmoose » Wed May 29, 2013 22:20

Thanks for the replies.

Redzed, your suggestion about making a Polish sausage as a smaller link was along the lines as to what I was thinking. Except for the part about the poaching. Are you suggesting that to ensure they get to the right internal temp before serving? My thoughts were to smoke them, freeze them and finish on the grill as needed. Just curious as to the poaching part.

Also, the local sausage kitchen makes a smokie that has wild rice in them. Probably about 70/30 meat to rice ratio. They are awesome and I was hoping to try and make some.

Again, thanks for the help.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed May 29, 2013 23:35

Ok here is what I call smokies, its a semi dry sausage usuall made from moose and pork. heavily smoked at low temp then dried to your desired hardness.

OPA`S HUNTER SAUSAGE "Smokies"

15 lb. meat (80% game +20% pork fat)

4 tbsp. coarse salt

3 tsp. cure# 2

8 tbsp. cracked black pepper

2 tbsp. cayenne pepper

2 tbsp. ground caraway

whole mustard seed, enough to cover meat surface

4 tbsp. granulated garlic

2 tbsp. onion powder

1 tsp. Ascorbic acid.

1 quart ice water with 3 tbsp. beef Bovril

Grind pork fat through a medium plate. Mix fat with semi frozen meat chunks and ground spices then grind through medium plate. Add whole spices and ice water/Bovril and mix. Stuff into hog casings, hang to dry overnight, Cold Smoke to an internal temp of 110 F. Place on drying rack until dried (4-5 weeks). Vacuum pack and freeze. Let thaw in fridge before eating.

Note: you can dry it further in your fridge after thawing.
Col. Big Guy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed May 29, 2013 23:51

Moosey,

Up here in North Idaho "Smokies" are quite popular. There is even a fairly large commercial meat processor that makes them for grocery stores. I personally don't like the taste of powdered or liquid smoke (which is what they use to make these things "smokey"). Anyway, I know that this commercial outfit uses a mix from the following supplier: smokies

I once tried this mix many years ago and it is essentially a Polish sausage seasoning with a lot of powdered hickory smoke added. I think you would make a superior product following any of the numerous Polish sausage recipes here and then lightly smoking them with real smoke in a smoker.
Rudy
ikillmoose

Post by ikillmoose » Mon Jun 03, 2013 15:48

So I made a 10 pound batch this weekend using the smoked kielbasa recipe from Rytek's book. I bumped up the cayenne from 1/2 tsp to 1 1/2tsp, with no real noticeable difference in heat. I smoked them using hickory for a few hours at 130degF. I left them overnight in the fridge uncovered and then vac packed them and froze them. We "culled" a few before they made it to the freezer. A few minutes on the grill to get them to the right temperature and boy they were good.

I had my 13 year old help me out and he was taken a back by the hog casings. When the sausages were done and we cooked a few up he was real cautious about eating them because of the casings. I have to point out that up to this point, this boy has been a sausage junkie and has eaten casings hundreds of times over. When I asked him what the issue was he told me he was all good until he actually seen what casing looked like before they were stuffed. Keep in mind this boy hunts with me, has gutted deer and skinned beaver with no issues. I would have never guessed that he'd go weird on me like that. He did manage to eat some sausage and it was funny to watch as he was clearly conflicted. It was like his brain was saying "Give me sausage!", but then he'd picture the casings in his mind and would be all disgusted.

I think this weekend I'll make bung bologna and really freak him out!