SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun May 26, 2013 17:54

Thumbs up! Tasty looking sausage.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 27, 2013 07:14

While making the Irish, and Chicken Feta sausages a couple of days ago I also made a 6kg batch of "use what there is sausage". I ground up a 3lb moose roast, about a dozen duck breasts, pork sirloin meat and back fat. Seasoned with "Deer Sausage" mix from the Sausagemaker, spiked it with some fresh garlic and gave it heavy hickory smoke for three hours.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 27, 2013 08:15

You boys are just showing off now! Incredible. Blackriver's sausage looks so tasty my lips are smackin' just looking at the photo. Bubba's processing is smack on the button and the product is very professional. And the bloom and texture on Redzed's batch is just amazing. The color on the final product is outstanding. Very nice fellas. Next Morrell's and Oscar-Meyer will be knocking at your door wanting you to come to work for them! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

moose teriyaki stix

Post by Big Guy » Mon May 27, 2013 13:57

I smoked these last evening and once up to temp left them in my smoker over night, outside temp was only35 F, cherry wood smoke gives the nice red colour.

Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 28, 2013 09:24

Nice looking stuff, as always, Big Guy. Hey, I'll bet your fingers are sore. Have you ever thought about just allowing the meat to set up for twenty minutes, then simply cutting them to length with a pair of scissors? It sure works for me.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed May 29, 2013 20:10

Great looking sausage Big Guy!
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Wed May 29, 2013 20:51

They look awsome Big Guy... I really love the color.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 07:11

I had about 4.5kg of nice white tail trimmings in the freezer and it was high time to do something with it. Decided on making venison kabanosy and some deer sausage. Added lean pork and a bit of backfat to make a 50/50 venison mix. Used 5kg to make kabanosy, using the traditional recipe with the addition of ground juniper berries, and 4kg. of deer sausage using the last of the spice mix from the Sausagemaker, with extra garlic. Nothing that blows your socks off, but the sticks will be handy for an upcoming camping/hiking trip on the west coast and the deer sausage will go well with a cold one in the back yard.

50% venison/50% pork

Venison Kabanosy

Deer Sausage
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Jun 09, 2013 07:39

That looks terrific. I really like the looks of the deer sausage. I am so ready to get home and enjoy some good food for a change... you have no idea. :shock:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12

Great lookin' stuff Chris.
Have you tried bumping up the fresh, coarsely-ground black pepper content in the kabanosy? I double it. Sure makes it interesting. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:13

Looks great! I have to try and make some Kabanosy myself.
oneills
User
User

Fresh Polish sausage for dinner

Post by oneills » Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:43

Made some fresh White Sausage (Kielbasa biala surowa) today using the directions on page 184 from Marianski's book Polish Sausage. Was supposed to be for tomorrow nights dinner but they looked so good family wanted to eat them straight away. Looks like i'll have to find something else for tomorrow.

Image[/img]
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jun 09, 2013 16:30

Can't blame them, by the look of things I wouldn't want to wait either. Make more sausage! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 16:46

Handsome looking sausage. How did you prepare it? I usually like to poach it, taking great care not to over cook it. My favourte condiment with it is horseradish with beets.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 17:23

Chuckwagon wrote:Great lookin' stuff Chris.
Have you tried bumping up the fresh, coarsely-ground black pepper content in the kabanosy? I double it. Sure makes it interesting. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks CW, might have to try it next time or use a pepper blend rather than plain black. One thing here that I was not successful with in the Kabanosy is the texture. Kabanosy are supposed to have a crumbly and tender finish. My kakanosy are firm and rubbery and do not snap easily. The reason is that I mixed the meat a bit too long. The meat for Kabanosy is supposed to be mixed very lightly and not to that "stick to your palm test". Problem was that I added the salt and cure to the ground meat, stuffed, set, and smoked. I felt I had to mix it thoroughly to get a good distribution of the salt and nitrite. Polish practice when making kabanosy is to add the cure and salt to the cubed meat and leave in the fridge for a couple of days. Then you grind add the few spices, mix lightly and stuff.

On another note, I should have added that the venison came from a buck my brother in law shot on my land in Saskatchewan and my 89 year old dad skinned and processed the carcass. So it was a family affair!