Getting Together?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jul 17, 2013 01:42

I sure wish we could organize get-togethers like Siara & friends do in Poland, if only every year or two. We could all benefit from the shared expertise. We could alternate NYC, LA, Calgary, New Orleans, Toronto, Miami, Ross's house...

But seriously, folks- - would there be any support out there for such an undertaking? I for one would like to participate.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 08:57

This is a really good thing. People with such courses are very satisfied. If you want to, you can send two of our technologists primates (teach in our school, SDM). Need only a kitchen and some devices.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:58

Maxell wrote:This is a really good thing. People with such courses are very satisfied. If you want to, you can send two of our technologists primates (teach in our school, SDM). Need only a kitchen and some devices.
So, Guys (and gals), what do you think?

Let me do some coordinating on this. If you would, please let me know via a post to this forum "thread" if
(1) You are interested in attending a two or three day session somewhere in the USA, Canada, or Mexico.
(2) What date would be best? (Give two or three so we can attempt to be flexible.)
(3) Would you mind paying $50 or so additional to help defray costs of our Polish friends and rental of presentation space in a hotel or motel?
(4) Any suggestions on borrowing or renting kitchen space?
(5) What are your top three meeting location preferences?
(6) Should we have a dunking booth with Chuckwagon as the "celebrity" dunk-ee?

This last one is optional. However, the first 5 are deadly serious. Well, at least, really-really serious. We could all learn a whole lot from these guys. Maybe we could make this an annual affair, or a frequent one at the least. We should also include an afternoon of talks by some of us, and have a tasting of some of our members' best efforts. ...with appropriate beverages, of course. Dang! We could really ENJOY this.

So.. operators are NOT standing by, but I am. Please post a note on this thread. We'll cut off response in two or three weeks, I'll summarize, and we'll see if we can move forward. Air fares go down after Labor Day (hopefully), so maybe a late fall or early winter date would be good.

To minimize our guests' expenses, we should probably locate the meeting in a place which has direct air service from Poland, or else air service via Frankfurt. (We always did it THAT way on our Wroclaw trips.) That would indicate New York, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, or Los Angeles. I can try for a discount on a block of rooms.

So, let me know. This could be really great!
Duk
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 18, 2013 02:11

As much as I would be interested and eager to attend I fear that I could not afford it unless it was held in my back yard.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 04:41

Everyone is more than welcome to come to our shop. I don't mind hosting and lecturing if wanted/needed. I think it is a fantastic idea! Plus, what a great way to finally drag CW out here.

We can easily accommodate a group of 15.

For those who don't know:

www.threelittlepigsdc.com
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:24

Dunking booth eh? Hmmmmm.
Well, I'm thinking.... I'm thinking....
Okay, count me in.
Duckaroo, this will take quite a bit of planning. Can you stay out of jail long enough to do it? :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. Ross wrote:
As much as I would be interested and eager to attend I fear that I could not afford it unless it was held in my back yard.
Is that an invitation Ross? Can I take Nancy out on your boat while you and Duk make sopresatta? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:34

Time to prepare a plan and gather volunteers, because it's worth. :D
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:37

By the way it will be the first meeting of the WB in the United States.
maxell11@wp.pl
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:21

Washington is practically in my back yard.. Jason, How is the parking near your place?
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39

It's a cool little city. And, what better place than the nation's capitol for our guests to see our country?

As far as parking, there is an empty lot across the street I could ask about using if it got that serious, but we have a back lot that can hold four cars. Customers typically walk, park in front, or on either side cross Those flying in would probably be better to take a cab from the hotel.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 19, 2013 04:14

DC? ...a tempting offer, and a great place for visitors from everywhere, not just Poland. Good air and rail connections, easy to get around in, all sorts of great restaurants and ethnic places.

And just imagine, seeing both sausages and laws made at the same time! :roll:

...sure sounds good. ...more ideas???? What about a date?

Duk

...and by the way, Carolina & Jason, the Three Little Pigs website is great! Can't wait to see the shop and taste the goodies, next trip to DC, get-together or not.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 19, 2013 04:28

I am about 60 miles outside of DC and I could accommodate one couple as guests.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 19, 2013 22:14

Jason,

If I read this right, we could stay "wherever" in the DC area, take the Metro to "Georgia Avenue - Petworth" station, and walk about a mile north (Mapquest calls it 3 minutes). DC has a Metro system that is the envy of many a city. This opens things up greatly. So if meeting at or near your place is acceptable...

I guess the next step is to look into hotel accommodations. ..any ideas? Something moderate, within walking distance of Three Little Pigs or somewhere near a Metro station which doesn't cost "an arm and a leg." (...which probably places it somewhere out in Utah. [sigh])

...and a heads-up, people- - if we can, we need to consider helping out our Polish visitors with their lodging expenses and perhaps more, seeing as how they are flying in to help us. (Perhaps they could stay with one of you generous DC-area forum members?)

Frugally yours,
El Ducko Cheapo, uh, Fantastico
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Jul 20, 2013 00:20

This sounds fantastic but I just can't swing it financially. I might consider something on the West coast in the future. I can't wait to see it come to fruition.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 02:30

You bet. The city is easy to get around. We are near Silver Spring, so hotels there are probably less expensive than in downtown DC. Silver spring is about a ten minute cab ride north of our shop. In the end, it is more expensive out this way than a rural setting. On the flip-side the airports, lodging, and workshop are all in close proximity.

A big plus is that we already order whole pigs, beef primals, and such, and have facilities to demonstrate. That alone would make for an expensive endeavor by trying to pay for a commissary kitchen and have someone coordinate the food and equipment needs.

We would just need to ensure the timing worked for us. It is really busy here and we renovating the production kitchen. It would be great to host in the late autumn, early winter time period once the renovations are finished and farmers markets have concluded for the season. But, early winter is definitely best for us, after the holiday rush and all that.