Care To Share How You Got Your Handle?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue May 21, 2013 17:27

Grasshopper! Always learning from the masters and everybody I meet, helpful or not.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Wed May 22, 2013 01:25

Thewitt...

Not overly original. First initial of my first name and my last name.

Tim Hewitt

A very early system manager in my career (early 1980s) thought The Witt was a very clever username and though I've never thought myself particularly witty, the handle did stick.

-t
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:37

Didja ever wonder how el Ducko moved up so rapidly in management?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:47

mmmmm..... charmin'.... just charmin'......
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Tue Aug 27, 2013 09:23

Chuckwagon wrote:mmmmm..... charmin'.... just charmin'......
Thinking the same thing
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 15:35

He sure is a keeper. That is a great sense of humor. :lol:
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Sun Jan 19, 2014 18:37

Del norte means in Spanish, of the north.
I'm from the USA and presently living in Uruguay. Since I'm from the northern hemisphere and the northern part of the US, I thought it fitting. Nothing spectacular or funny behind the name. Guess I'll have to make up for it in sense of humor and wit... I can do that. :grin:
dauber

Post by dauber » Sat Jan 25, 2014 18:38

dauber, or it's longer version, muddauber came about as I used to be a stone mason. There was a fellow at one of the masonry supply places who was really, really good at carictures. After a good bit of prompting, he finally drew one of me and labeld it "muddauber"
Being proud of my trade, I quickly adopted it as my handle. I have that image saved on one of my hard drives. Gotta go find it.

I've already posted my icon on the map. It is a bit North of the lake I live on, but yo'all get the idea. USA, Alabama.

Don aka dauber
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jan 25, 2014 22:52

DelNorte wrote:...I'm from the USA and presently living in Uruguay...
I'll bet there's a great story behind this, but maybe I watch too many old movies. Your pictures look great. Would you mind some further sharing? I'm sure that the few travelogues we see in the USA from your current part of the world don't do it justice. ("Ya mean it's NOT all carnival and fun like in Rio?")
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Jan 26, 2014 15:36

Shuswap is the area in the southern interior region of British Columbia where I live - not very imaginative but I have never had a problem getting it accepted as a user name.
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 15:32

el Ducko wrote:I'll bet there's a great story behind this, but maybe I watch too many old movies. Your pictures look great. Would you mind some further sharing? I'm sure that the few travelogues we see in the USA from your current part of the world don't do it justice. ("Ya mean it's NOT all carnival and fun like in Rio?")
Well Mr Duck, you couldn't be more correct about a great story! That old movie watching eye caught on to why I am here. :wink: In short - I was assigned to an author by a publisher I freelance for, to design his book inside and out. After a bit working together, well, it had turned into us both admitting to each other that something had blossomed beyond the book project. It so happened that the author won a writing contest and the publisher asked if I'd like to fly to Uruguay for a presentation party for all of the entrants. I jumped at the opportunity and stayed a blissful week with the love of my life. After that, it was 4 months of Skype everyday (almost all day long) until I was able to move down here... later the publisher admitted to me that she had set me up and was hoping that a love interest would develop.

I'll see what I can do about setting you folks up with more photos. Thank gawd it's not all carnival! But the women here do have a "ho-bait" style shoe fetish and lots of them. That's just my opinion.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 06:06

Del Norte, that is quite a story, and looks like great material for another book! Looks like you are adjusting to life in Uruguay quite well and living the dream. Eight years ago while in Argentina, we travelled to Montevideo for a couple of days and then fo Punta Del Este for another two. Interesting country with a fascinating history, one of these days will visit more of the place. I'm currently travelling in Colombia, arriving today in Cartagena today from Medellin.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Tue Jan 28, 2014 07:31

Sambal Badjak:
One of the tasty and spicy sambals from Indonesia (modern spelling sambal bacak, but since I am Dutch, I stick to the old Dutch spelling).
I like spicy (hot) food and Indonesian food in particular (and almost all SE Asian food), so I thought it was appropriate....
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Fri Jan 31, 2014 13:13

redzed - I just might write a book one day paralleling my story.. adjusting to the life here? Ha! It's not an easy adjustment, for so many reasons. I really don't advise anyone to move here unless they reside in Montevideo, Punta del Este, or Muldanado.

Hope that you are enjoying your trip! How long you on it for?
bearspice
Beginner
Beginner

Now just remember, Chuckwagon, you asked for it.....

Post by bearspice » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31

How I came by my handle? OK, to spare you the agony of the whole shaggy dog, basically I was talked by my flatmates into entering the "Miss Fair Day" contest at the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras in 1998.

I Won. :shock: Yes, it surprised me too.

The Spice Girls were very prominent at the time, and so the name I entered as?

BearSpice.

Here's a pic so your mind doesn't run riot on what I looked like...