Beginner Brining Question

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 17:08

Speaking of brining, in Stanley Marianski's books he mentions measuring the salinity of a brine at 60 F degrees. Does the temperature of the water have an impact on the measurement of the salinity in a brine?
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Tue Aug 23, 2011 21:25

The warmer the water the larger the quantity of salt and dissolvables that can be suspended in it. I lived close to a brine salt mine, where they would use massive 12" centrifugal pumps to fill lagoons with the brine during the hot summer months. They would wait until shortly after freeze up to drain the lagoons, after the salt had precipitated and then harvest it. The precipate was dozed into massive piles with a Cat D-10, and from there it was cleaned and bagged for sale or loaded into rail cars. A curing brine is similar.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 23, 2011 23:44

story28 wrote:Speaking of brining, in Stanley Marianski's books he mentions measuring the salinity of a brine at 60 F degrees. Does the temperature of the water have an impact on the measurement of the salinity in a brine?
Warmer water is not as heavy per gallon as colder water so the standard is to work at about 60 degrees. That is about the temperature of the water from the kitchen sink faucet. If you fill a glass brim full of ice water and let it stand all day it will run over.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 02:32

Ross
If you fill a glass brim full of ice water and let it stand all day it will run over.

When we go fish`n on the salt flats in Utah, I`m hope you don`t plan on filling the canoe with ice to keep the beer cold! By the end of the day we will be in trouble :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 24, 2011 02:43

Nah! we will be ok By the time the ice melts there won't be much beer left so we gots lotsa room for melt water.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 13:57

It's interesting that brines would be measured at sixty degrees even though the water needs to be below 41 degrees F in order to submerge meat safely in it. I wonder why calculations are not made to measure the salinity at 40F instead.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 24, 2011 14:04

I think that you should try to dissolve salt in very cold water and you will under stand that part. As to why it is 60 degrees, the standard had to be set somewhere and that was as good a call as any.
There is still a question as to why electrons are said to carry a negitive charge. The choice of positive and negitive in electrical research was a bit arbitrary but we stil work with it that way.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 14:17

ssorllih wrote:I think that you should try to dissolve salt in very cold water and you will under stand that part. As to why it is 60 degrees, the standard had to be set somewhere and that was as good a call as any.
There is still a question as to why electrons are said to carry a negitive charge. The choice of positive and negitive in electrical research was a bit arbitrary but we stil work with it that way.
In restaurant kitchens we use hot water to dissolve the salt quickly and add ice water to bring it down to temperature quickly. Moms, tend do the same when making Kool-aid (albeit dissolving sugar). It would be smarter to do measurements at the 40 degree temperature instead of having to wait for a big container of water to drop 20 degrees. :smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:36

Ah ha!
That means if I get Wally and Ross out on that big salt pond in my canoe... wait until they pass out, and then pour ice cold Colorado Kool Aid all over them... that they will fall out of the boat and float? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 22:04

Chuckwagon wrote:Please take a look at Siara`s beautiful brining chart. It is really handy and a real time-saver, thanks to our friend Siara in Belgium. http://www.wedlinydomowe....peklowania4.htm
Does anyone know if this is still available? As I write this, the link is busted. (...Siara, are you there???) Thanks.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 02, 2013 23:08

Sometime along the way I checked to see just how significant the delta temp was and it only amounts to a couple of degrees SAL. Half an hour more or less in the brine will over shadow the brine strength error caused by temperature. I have seen brine tables carried out to two decimal places. Far to many variables to loose sleep over a couple of points in the brine strength.
Ross- tightwad home cook