Off to the High Country

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Off to the High Country

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Oct 21, 2013 17:46

Three of us will be chasing the ever-elusive buck deer in the Sierras for four days this week, and the final weekdays of the season the week after this. I'm bringing a huge load of wild hog, chicken Italian, Sicilian, Polish, and smoked Kolbasz sausage, along with some of my Sons of Bees bacon, smoked Canadian bacon, and a few smoked chickens. Maybe we'll have a drink! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
kiwihunter
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kiwihunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 19:25

Sounds like heaven to me Sawhoresay have fun
:lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 19:47

Good luck Ray! Wish I was coming along, even though I don't hunt. :grin:

My bro-in-law bagged a moose last week in the first hour of the first day of the season and only 20 miles from his house. My dad processed it this weekend and I'm hoping that there will be some meat left for me when I visit in December. Moose sausage and salami might coming up!

Happy hunting and post pics!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 02:23

Go Ray! But.... but... but... you'll miss the World Series! :sad:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 22, 2013 16:23

...killed a deer with my car, last Friday night. Does that count? It's going to be about as expensive as equipping Ray's hunting expedition, but I'll be mounting a Toyota grill ornament over my fireplace instead of antlers.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Oct 22, 2013 16:30

Uh, Ray. You forgot to post the directions to the camp for us. Enjoy.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Oct 22, 2013 17:18

redzed wrote:Good luck Ray! Wish I was coming along, even though I don't hunt. :grin:

My bro-in-law bagged a moose last week in the first hour of the first day of the season and only 20 miles from his house. My dad processed it this weekend and I'm hoping that there will be some meat left for me when I visit in December. Moose sausage and salami might coming up!

Happy hunting and post pics!
Moose on VI :?:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 22, 2013 20:41

Yes, a bunch were brought here by homesick Newfies as pets, some escaped and are rapidly taking over the Island! :shock: We've got all kinds of non-native animal and plant life here, so why not moose? :grin:

Well, that's wishful thinking. The moose was bagged in Saskatchewan, where the moose have moved to the southern parts of the province in the last couple of decades. :grin: :grin:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Oct 22, 2013 22:35

redzed wrote:Yes, a bunch were brought here by homesick Newfies as pets, some escaped and are rapidly taking over the Island! :shock: We've got all kinds of non-native animal and plant life here, so why not moose? :grin:

Well, that's wishful thinking. The moose was bagged in Saskatchewan, where the moose have moved to the southern parts of the province in the last couple of decades. :grin: :grin:
A Sask moose would have some meat on it unlike a VI moose that would be kind of like the dog deer I remember in my youth around MT Doug.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 23:55

Now I've heard it all! A Duck that hunts deer with a car! Somehow it just sound illegal or immoral or im.... im... something really hard to pronounce! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 03:55

Shuswap wrote:A Sask moose would have some meat on it unlike a VI moose that would be kind of like the dog deer I remember in my youth around MT Doug.
Ha! Mainlander jealousy! :razz: Besides you gotta get out of the Victoria area to see the real VI. And we all know Mount Doug is a hill. :grin:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 04:24

redzed wrote:
Shuswap wrote:A Sask moose would have some meat on it unlike a VI moose that would be kind of like the dog deer I remember in my youth around MT Doug.
Ha! Mainlander jealousy! :razz: Besides you gotta get out of the Victoria area to see the real VI. And we all know Mount Doug is a hill. :grin:
Ha! My f-i-l used to take me hunting deer in the Cowichan Lake area - they were so small you couldn't see them for the ferns. I grew up in Victoria but I got real pleasure from fishing Campbell River and trecking near Cape Scott. VI is a part of paradise but getting there these days is too expensive.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 21:38

Chuckwagon wrote:Now I've heard it all! A Duck that hunts deer with a car! Somehow it just sound illegal or immoral or im.... im... something really hard to pronounce! :roll:
How about "impoverished"? (The deer didn't have insurance.) :sad:
(Luckily, I did.) :lol:

Question of the day: "Do deer whistles work?" (Inquiring minds want to know.)
Answer of the day: "Depends on which end you blow into while lying prone on the hood."
(Translation: "until you hit a deer.")
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 25, 2013 18:52

The first four days produced no buck sightings, tho there was a intense moment with a mama bear and her cub. We surprised each other at about 25 yards and both froze, the cub scrambled up a tree. I tried to slowly move back uphill but was afraid I was going to fall down, my hips hate uphill. Finally the little cub came down the tree and started to run off, mama followed. She stopped after about fifty yards to turn around and give me a little more stink-eye. I was glad I didn't have to send her a personal message from Roy Weatherby. I don't get bear tags because I don't like bear meat. Brunch and dinner every day was fantastic, the boys loved the bacon and sausage. We'll talk Monday morning about going back for the final push, without some weather to move the bucks down and around it seems futile. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:22

Woke up to find a voice mail on the machine, seemed it snowed at the cabin last night. I'll be packed and make the two hour drive there to see if anything came down, give it a final two day effort. Dan says to bring more of the honey-maple bacon! RAY