Grinder

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Grinder

Post by Krakowska » Sat Nov 02, 2013 02:09

99 bucks, anyone have one? Plus since it is a #12 (I was in the Northern tool store and had the box open) I noticed it looked like a standard grinding plate that could probably use other larger plate holes. Largest one was too small. I also can get 20 bucks off that price also. 79 plus tax. What do You Guys think? Thanks in advance. Fred

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 48111&mt=b
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Nov 02, 2013 02:32

Yes Sir,

I have a grinder like that, I used it for 5-6 years, I never had any problem with it.
It helps to cut the meat small, like 1" cube or so, otherwise you might have to push kind of hard.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Nov 02, 2013 03:00

Thank You Gulyás, So it looks like it might be a go, that is what I was looking for a positive review. This is what I am using now. LOL

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 09:07

I like the 1/2 horse power! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Sat Nov 02, 2013 15:42

Hey Fred,

I have the same grinder, but branded for Gander Mountain. I like it; it's a good grinder. I recently purchased an additional 1/4" plate and knife.

My only concern is that it almost seems that there are too many washers on the back end of the screw. There is a nylon washer, a steel washer, and two SS washer shims, all held in place with a ring snap-spring. When assembled, there is barely enough contact between the plate and locating pin on the body; maybe 1/16".

I'm planning on using it again this morning and plan to remove all steel parts from the washer stack. It will be an interesting test.

Jim
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Nov 02, 2013 16:25

Jim

Both knives and plates vary in thickness depending on the manufacturer and also if they are made for an Electric or manual grinder....I would adjust your washers accordingly.

You need to have solid contact between knife and plate.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 14:32

I have one in Florida it works great, Not a machine that I would run 100 pound batches of semi frozen meat at one time, but it handles 30 Lb. batches fine. it works so good I bought 2 more one for my son and another for daughter#1.
Col. Big Guy
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Nov 03, 2013 23:01

Thanks everyone, got one more place I will check out that has used restaurant equipment. Some really good deals. Bought a commercial rebuilt 8 burner stove for our VFW at a great price. Saw a nice grinder sitting on the shelf a couple of years ago, will talk to the boys down there how often they come in. Here where I live there are thousands of restaurants coming and going. I will see. Much appreciated, will have one by the end of the week:) :cool:
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Nov 04, 2013 13:06

Thanks for the tip, Bob K. I had thought about removing some spacers long ago, but never remembered to follow-up until time to grind again. It seems odd to have the space between the washers and spring clip, but it is working better.

Jim
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 04, 2013 17:51

Jim

I never knew there was a difference until I purchased some different plates and knives for a #12 1 HP electric grinder...the ones that I got were to thin to work properly without shimming the screw. The only retailer that I know of that tells you there is a difference in thickness is http://www.alliedkenco.com/398.aspx

Plates and knives that are too loose (not good contact) smear and tear what you are grinding.