Recipe Chat

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Aug 20, 2013 13:15

ssorllih wrote:We raised pigs when I was a kid and "fat as a pig", "eats like a pig", "big as a hog" were real examples for non farm people. Now I read questions like, " Am I feeding my pig too much"? "how big should my pig be when I butcher it?" pig fat is good!
Yes sir.
Pig fat is very good, specially if it's fed with corn, or better yet, with acorn.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 18:24

Gulyás wrote:Pig fat is very good, specially if it's fed with corn, or better yet, with acorn.
OK, so now I have another question. A friend just gave me a lot of acorns. These acorns are from live oaks and (mostly) Oregon oaks, and well dried (from last season). I believe that live oak acorns are fairly high in tannins, and Oregons are low. I tried a few on the pigs this morning, and they promptly devoured them, preferring them over their grain.

Now I've heard that if you feed acorns too close to slaughter, the meat will be bitter. On the other hand, I know that acorns are fed to Iberico pigs to make the most expensive hams in the world. Maybe they finish them with something else...I don't know.

I'm very interested in this because I have a lot of oaks!

Jeff
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Tue Aug 20, 2013 22:00

Hey Jeff,

Here is a quote I found on this site:
http://greenacresranch.org/Acorn_Fed_Pa ... ork_2.html

".....In the fall we feed them acorns, lots of acorns. Acorns are an excellent food for pigs as they have a low sugar content; they are rich in complex carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins while they are lower in fat. Acorns are also a good source of fiber. Some of the most expensive European pork and hams come from pigs that are fed acorns. The high tannin levels in the acorns lead to a unique taste. Acorn finished pork is tastier and healthier for the consumer than pigs raised in confinement. Acorn finished pork is deep red and marbled. The fat they produce is largely unsaturated, being extremely high in healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat known to lower LDL (BAD) cholesterol and raise HDL (GOOD) cholesterol. "
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 20, 2013 22:15

Good reason to cultivate an oak grove.
Edit to add: there are about 40 varieties of oak broadly grouped as red and white. The squirrels seem to prefer some varieties over others. I wonder if the same would be true of pigs? Over one hundred years ago American Chestnuts were very fine pig fodder. But the Blight put an end to that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 23:39

Lynn - thanks for the link. It seems that the people who say not to finish with acorns just don't care for the particular flavor they produce. I'm going to go ahead and start feeding the acorns I have as supplements to grain, and collecting the ones that drop in the fall.

Ross - we have both white and red oak types on our property - Oregon and Cost Live oaks. They both drop many tons of acorns in a good year, and being a tightwad too, I want to turn them into pork rather than toss them on the leaf pile. The coast live oaks are a type of red oak, and the Oregon oaks are a white type. Whites are less bitter, but my pigs seem to like both just fine. So I am off and running!

Jeff
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Wed Aug 21, 2013 15:20

Hi Jeff,

Just found my invoice for the pig that was butchered. 23# of fat; combination of back fat and leaf fat. I still haven't rendered yet...lard yield is still TBD.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 21, 2013 16:03

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer because my information is limited to what I heard as a child.
Adults speaking to each other, who lived at different places, so different feed was available to them.
Some farmers fed them with corn, but the ones who lived in the woods had acorns.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Shrimp and salmon mince

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 04, 2013 18:51

Working on the appetizers for an up coming party and sausage stuffed mushrooms are very good but Nancy wanted something with shrimp.

This morning I took 3 ounces each of fresh shrimp and salmon and minced them on a cutting board until they were very finely chopped and were sticking together I then added an ounce of butter and a half teaspoon of Old Bay and of Worcestershire sauce, salt and black pepper mixed that vey well and broiled two small lumps. I claim success!

Next I will stuff a batch of mushroom to check the yield and determine how much to make for the party.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Dec 04, 2013 19:34

There's no way you can go wrong, what with shrimp/salmon/mushrooms/butter all in the same package. ...but since you insist on testing, I'll be right there! ...just in case, say, the mushrooms are the wrong type, or the shrimp are too big, or something like that.
:mrgreen:
P.S. How DO you spell WoosterChesterScheisterMeister, anyway? :roll:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 04, 2013 20:21

Well I went out and bough a half pound of crimini mushrooms. nice small caps got 24. 6 ounces of mince filled 18. The local gourmet counter at the super market wants 12 dollars per dozen.... maybe theirs are bigger ?
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 04, 2013 20:37

without a picture it didn't happen. I nearly ate it before I remembered to take the shot. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 02:31

Ross, I can't seem to find the invitation to that party. :shock: Can you re-send it? :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:20

Open House Dec 30 all day after 10AM.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 05:59

Geez Ross, you guys hit the bottle at 10AM? You sure you're not Polish? :grin:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 15:09

Those stuffed shrooms look yummy! Usually the sampling during manufacture can put quite a dent in a tray full of whore's overies. There is a cocktail rye bread, shrimp, cheddar-jack cheese combo with a little mayo mixed in that goes in the oven for 15 minutes that I find totally addictive. Darn, I won't be able to make it either,we've got tickets to what might be the last Fleetwood Mac show in Las Vegas that night. John McVie the founding bass player is being treated for cancer right now. Rumor has it that his ex-wife Christine will be showing up, should be a show to remember.RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”