UMAi dry aging bags

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 30, 2013 01:30

Hey guys there is a string about them here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6855
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 02:58

el Ducko wrote:
oops1215 wrote:...too easy.
...sure does look that way, but if it can allow me to avoid sinking megabucks into a temperature/humidity controlled rig, it might be worth a shot.

However, I believe in the "second mouse gets the cheese" philosophy- - I'd sure like to hear from someone who has tried the things. (Also, I'm cheap. ...and you thought ROSS was bad...!)
:mrgreen:
Okay Mr. Duck, I just ordered the 5 bag charcuterie kit for $22.50. I'll most likely try coppa first over the next month or so. Stay tuned.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:27

Send "irdeer"a PM. You can see by his posted photo's that the results are great.
Later in January I am going to order the bags. I am busting my boiler to get cracking.
My first attempt will be Coppa, I have several decent size ones in the freezer.
Good Luck, keep us posted.
Cheers,
Jan.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Wed Jan 01, 2014 02:19

UMAI had a holiday special last year, free shipping for orders over a certain amount, world wide! So while in Chicago, I ordered a bit, it arrived home a day after me!
First attempt will be Bressaola, already curing.
Jan L
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 09:49

Hi Jan,
Let us know how it all works out. I can get from my butcher friend nice Cirello pieces( eye of silverside), he will cut it anyway I like. Just goes to show what a home made bottle of Rum does as a present.
Did you also read the Matti Kaarts instructions on the net?
Good Luck,
Jan O.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Wed Jan 01, 2014 13:43

Hi Jan,

I've used two eye rounds. I buy them from the local meat "outlet" store, they sell lots of whole sections. I also make biltong with this.
The recipe was a mixture of several sources, plus some input from the "Greedy Italians" series, with lots of garlic. But thanks for the Matti Kaarts link, it shall be used!
I'll still post photos, just need to get the process right!

Jan L
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jan 28, 2014 21:07

Coppa cured two weeks and is now in the UMAi bag and back in the fridge. Check back in in about a month and a half
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 23:53

Dave Zac wrote:Coppa cured two weeks and is now in the UMAi bag and back in the fridge. Check back in in about a month and a half
I just sliced my Coppa that I had in the fridge for the last 3 months. They lost 38% weight. Turned out wonderful. I used the recipe from their site.

I guess the reason I am posting is because they are too optimistic as to the time it takes to make a good Coppa. Going by their recommendation, mine only lost about 25%. You definitely want to weigh your wet coppa and then shoot for at least a 30% drying.
Rudy
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Jan 29, 2014 01:40

Thanks for the tip Rudy. I did weigh the meat so I'll definitely go by the loss. Looking forward to it.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 09:20

Hi Dave,
I am looking forward to your report when the Coppa is ready, with some photo's if possible.

Hi Rudy,
Thank you for that advise about the 38% weight-loss.
I will be ordering the UMAi bags next week sometimes, there seem to be another manufacturer of these bags on the market, from Denmark I believe.
The Danish ones are suitable for drying smoked meat as well.
Cheers,
Jan.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Jan 30, 2014 14:44

Hi Jan,

Do you have a link for the Danish bags?
My Bressaola is curing nicely, second batch went in yesterday.

Jan
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 21:32

Hi Jan from WA,
I read it on the net somewhere and now I can't find it anymore.
My cousin in Holland will know if there is a Danish manufacturer, I emailed him yesterday about it.
What interested me most was the mention of smoking the meat first and than drying it in the bag in the fridge to your own liking.
Smoked meat is dry on the outside but needs to be moist on the outside for the bag to stick to it to work properly.
Let us all know how you finish up with your Bessaola's with photo's if possible.
Good Luck Mate,
Jan from QLD
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 03:00

The Umai Dry Steak bags sold in the US is the same product as the original Tublin®10 bags invented and manufactured by

TUB-EX ApS Industrivej 10 DK-9830 Taars Denmark
Tel. + 45 9896 1122
Mail. info@tub-ex.com

You can email them to see whether they have a distributor in OZ, or this could be an opportunity for you Crusty!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 07:22

Hi Red,
Thank you for that info. I only just found out that there is a distributor in OZ for the Tub-ex bags.
They are Misty Gully.com.au and Smokehouseflavours.com.au. They used to sell the UMAi Bags awhile back.
Tub-ex has now a bag suitable for smoking whole muscle meat such as Rauchfleisch etc.
UMAi has no such thing on the market YET!!
I am keen to try them out and have some meat in the deepfreezer waiting for the bags.
Cheers,
Jan.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:10

If you guys can find a cheaper source, by all means buy them there. I think the US seller is too expensive. I sure wish I knew what these bags are made from. They do allow the meat to loose moisture while maintaining vacuum and preventing mold.

Anyway, here's a crappy photo taken with my iPhone with a coppa still in the bag and ready to be sliced. It has lost 38% weight. The color was a beautiful mahogany red and the flavor reminiscent of prosciutto. Notice how the bag is still maintaining its vacuum seal even after 3 months in the fridge:

Image[/img]

And, after slicing wafer thin:

Image[/img]
Rudy