Semi Dry Pepperoni

Gunny
Beginner
Beginner

Semi Dry Pepperoni

Post by Gunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 22:16

Tried my hand at a fast fermented pepperoni using the Marianski recipe. Instead of FLC culture, I used the LHP due to its availability. I will NOT be smoking the pepperoni, and since I only had 2 inch protein lined casings, does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to dry?
I realize that the larger casing will require a longer dry time. Just curious since I read on this forum that it is ok to consume after the fermentation? I kinda find that hard to believe. Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you still need to check pH and allow for weight reduction (AW). I'm referring to the last few threads on the following: [USA] Two Types Of "Quick" Pepperoni. ( Under fermented sausages and techniques).
Not trying to step on anyone's toes since I'm new to all of this, but would appreciate further clarification

Thank You to all for your help..............Jerald
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Feb 05, 2014 22:53

Jerald

I asked the same question : Just curious since I read on this forum that it is ok to consume after the fermentation? I kinda find that hard to believe.

Yes is ok consume, however it will be mushy and the mouth feel not so good at all.

You may want to reconsider the "smoking" step in the recipe. Do not use smoke just the heat or cooking portion.

Optional step: introduce warm smoke (43° C, 110° F), 70% humidity, for 6 hours.
Gradually increase smoke temperature until internal meat temperature of 140° F (60° C) is obtained.

Then no need to dry at controlled temps and humidity to get to a desirable product...and it comes out great.

I have made it that way several times.

alhunter63
User
User

Post by alhunter63 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 00:43

Bob,

Is that a home made smoker i'm looking at? Those peperonis look awesome!!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:43

Alhunter-

Its a homemade fermenting chamber. Cast Iron pan over the heat source (infrared bulb) is a heat sink and filled with water a humidity source.

This time of year will the cold temps I also use it as a curing chamber.

Gunny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gunny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 02:41

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the information. For a moment, I thought that that was my fermentation/drying chamber. Very similar to the one I built. Right now the initial 24 hr fermentation is taking place. Since I have a smoke house that I built and a pastrami ready to smoke tomorrow, it is convenient to dry in the smoke house. I wouldn't care for a mushy feel to the palate.
Do you get that much weight reduction in such a short time? This is the first time I've tried fast fermentation, so I ask a lot of questions to be on the safe side. My first attempt at slow fermented sausage worked well, so this is just a natural progression in my learning.

Thank you for your time Bob........Jerald
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 06, 2014 02:59

Jerald

If you cook it you don't have to worry about the weight loss. That only applies to dry cured product.

You will get a lot of shrinkage when "smoking" for 6-8 hours.
alhunter63
User
User

Post by alhunter63 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 16:53

Bob,

Do you everything connected to a controller, I didn't see one. If you do, once the box reaches teperature doesn't it shut down your infared which in turn would shut down your humidity, right? Do you have any kind of air movement in that box?

Angelo
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 06, 2014 18:27

Angelo,

Its a pretty crude set up but so far it has worked fine.

Temp is a simple thermostat It holds +or- around 8 degrees f. If you look in the second photo above you can see the temp probe

Air flow and humidity are "controlled" by 2 vents one near the bottom and another on top. If I check it a few times a day it stays surprisingly close to where I want it by simply adjusting the top vent.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 06:12

Hi Gunny,
You wrote:
I kinda find that hard to believe. Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you still need to check pH and allow for weight reduction (AW).
This is a SEMI-dry cured sausage. It is cooked to destroy trichinae as it passes 137 degrees and other pathogens as the temperature increases just ten more degrees. Technically, it is safe to eat at this point, but would be mushy. Further dried, it would be more palatable.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D