Help with Berkel e-222 grinder - stalls

haeffnkr

Help with Berkel e-222 grinder - stalls

Post by haeffnkr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 19:13

Hi,
I bought used Berkel e-222 grinder.
I got it cleaned up and put it all together.
I tried to manually sharpen the plate and knife on a piece of granite and different sheets of sandpaper and emory cloth. I did fair job sharpending it... not great, the plate had some grooves in it that I need to have machined out.... anyway...the plate is 1/8".

I put it all together with some light food oil spray and there is no issue with running it at no load, no meat in it.
Sounds good, no gear whine, etc. I was ready to put in my 5 pounds of test meat.
Meat was cold, cut up in 1 inch chunks, no bones in it, pork shoulder.
I had to snug up the big retaining ring pretty hard to get the meat to come out cleanly and not mush.
I stared to feed the meat agaiin and the grinder almost stopped a few times when it initally ground the meat.
I fed the grinder slowly and did not use the push rod at all.
So all that said - What ar the next steps?
Is the motor weak? This is a 115v motor/unit.
Are there brushes to replace?
Did I snug down the retaining ring to hard? (ran fine with no meat in it....)
Thoughts on how to test the torque of the motor to trouble shoot the motor end or the grinder end?

Documents below -

http://www.instawares.com/Prod_PDF/BER-E222.pdf

http://berkelsalesservice.com/PDFs/pdf_ ... _parts.pdf

https://my.vulcanfeg.com/resourcecenter ... K46705.pdf

thanks Kevin
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 25, 2014 21:26

I would recommend replacing the plate and knife. You don't want to over tighten the retaining ring. It just has to be snug. I get all my plates and knifes from Speco out of Chicago. They are American made and they only charge $5 to re sharpen knifes and plates. The meat should go through really easy on a nice machine like you have
haeffnkr

Post by haeffnkr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 06:32

Blackriver wrote:I would recommend replacing the plate and knife. You don't want to over tighten the retaining ring. It just has to be snug. I get all my plates and knifes from Speco out of Chicago. They are American made and they only charge $5 to re sharpen knifes and plates. The meat should go through really easy on a nice machine like you have
Thanks for the update.

What line of plates/knives do you use?
I checked Speco and they have several lines of plates.

thanks Kevin
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Feb 26, 2014 16:25

I have a 22 size grinder and I believe they only sell the higher grade in that size. I would give them a call. They are awesome to deal with. Also if you still have problems with your grinder you can call Berkel Midwest and talk to the service department and they might be able to help. Here is their website with their phone number. http://www.berkelmidwest.com/
Hope this helps
haeffnkr

Post by haeffnkr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 20:00

I have gotten 3 sets of plates and knives, good quaulity ones of good hard steel, that have been professionally sharpened.

On a side note... I used my tiny kitchen aid mixer vintage hobart made grinder attachment with freshly professionally sharped plate and knife, that were of good quality hard steel too... OMG... I have never seen that thing work so well. Ran through 3 pounds in NO time and made beautiful ground meat that was not mush, etc.
I almost cried I was so happy.

So moving on -
I am ready to test this out Friday with some buddies, will have about 150 pounds, some of it double ground.

I sure hope these new plates solve the problem :)

More to come.

thanks Kevin
haeffnkr

Post by haeffnkr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 14:51

Sorry so long for the update, I was looking through these posts and realized I never updated this thread.....

New plates did not fix my issue.

The problem with this grinder was that the guy who had this unit before me put a 120 plug on the grinder. After I started looking at the motor, cord, etc I saw that the motor jumpers where on 240.
So....
A new 240 plug was installed and this bingo.... The grinder is the love of my life.
It will flat out grind meat as fast as you can throw it down the hole, I can not keep up with it on the first grind.

So lesson learned....never assume anything is correct when you buy something on Craigslist.

have a great day
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 05, 2016 06:38

Yes that is something we should be cognizant of. Many commercial machines run on 240V. I almost bought a used bowl chopper that was 240, and I just assumed that it was 120.