Ross's Maryland Bakery

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 24, 2014 22:14

Would rolling the dough out flat with a pin and then rolling it back up like a carpet to the appropriate diameter and pinching the seam be effective, or would you prefer free-forming? I made a quad of rolls last night using King Art's bread flour as opposed to the usual A-P, a noticeable difference in the amount of rise. I use the boiled water / flour method you gave me every time now, it works perfect. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 24, 2014 23:02

Ray , that was the method I used. I dumped the dough from the bowl and stretched it and flattened it into a long ribbon, then started rolling like a rug and chopping it off to size.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

It has been two weeks

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 08, 2014 15:27

I had some leftover chicken so I made a pie with chicken. carrots, celery, onions, red and yellow peppers and red stem chard the crust was made with the rendered chicken fat and the gravy from the dripping.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 02:27

Yikes! I'd like to be in YOUR kitchen! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Feb 23, 2014 22:39

With Sons of Bees bacon and Hipshot burgers thawing in the sink the only thing left to accomplish is a batch of Ross' Scalded Flour Burger Buns. The 69% hydration with milk, egg, and water make any sized batch a slam-dunk every single time, my wife thinks CW and Ross should have their own show on Food Network TV. Fresh jar of yeast provided quite a rise.
Letting the first rise occur in a 100-110° oven doesn't seem to hurt either
I like to butter-brush more than egg-wash
Probably the second best aspect of the entire endeavor is the way it makes the house smell
Oh yeah, southwest bacon cheeseburgers are on the menu! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Feb 23, 2014 23:12

I'd go for that TV show Ray!! Heck, probably have some real good ratings compared to some of the weird characters on there now. Wish Alton Brown still had show "Good Eats" still going. Liked the scientific explanations that were used extensively in his shows. Don't really care for shows that eating "exotic" critters etc.
Few pics of Ross's dough recipe I use for pizza but made rolls. Did a 5 oz roll, a little too big, will do 4 oz next time.
Got onion, poppy seeded and plain. Company liked it

Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 24, 2014 00:03

I can die in peace now, others have learned to bake wonderful bread. Those are as fine as can be made by anyone.
Now we need to encourage others to step up and make the effort. A very good burger deserves a good bun.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 24, 2014 01:45

ssorllih wrote:Now we need to encourage others to step up and make the effort.
I only wish! Everytime I check out this thread it makes me salivate so much that I often lick the monitor screen! :smile: Because of my wife we live in an almost gluten-free environment. She does bake breads and rolls but there is absolutely no comparison to wheat products. I buy a nice loaf of European rye bread now and then and occasionally a couple of buns for burgers but often don't have any of that stuff for days or weeks on end.

But you are right Ross, you taught these guys well and they are driving me nuts with those pictures!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 24, 2014 02:02

"I'd go for that TV show Ray!! Heck, probably have some real good ratings compared to some of the weird characters on there now. Wish Alton Brown still had show "Good Eats" still going. Liked the scientific explanations that were used extensively in his shows. Don't really care for shows that eating "exotic" critters etc."

I really liked that show with Alton Brown also! I keep forgetting I have seeds in the pantry when I make rolls Krakowska, your batch of bread looks fantastic! RAY
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 05:47

Guys... that bread looks... AMAZING! Absolutely incredible!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

pie crust

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 02, 2014 20:25

In response to overwhelming requests here is my pie pastry recipe:
Allow about 2 cups of flour for a single crust on a 10 inch pie.
That is about 8 ounces. I find that 50% lard worked into the flour makes a nice tender crust with just enough added water stirred in to make it come together in a lump. So call it 8 ounces of flour and 4 ounces of lard, AND a scant teaspoon of salt, use cold tap water about a quarter cup maybe a bit more it wants to be like slightly dry putty. you have to work it just a little to get it to hold together before you roll it. taste it as you would cookie dough to check the salt level.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:55

Thanks Ross! I'll try that recipe out as soon as my new rolling pin arrives, my wife just ordered me one from these guys;

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/13-wood ... P5713.html

The one I've been using is a little 10" long, 2" diameter unit from my local Safeway. I wanted something a bit larger to spare my knuckles. My wife ordered two so the shipping wouldn't cost more than the roller, she's giving one to her cousin. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 03, 2014 03:21

The crust in this salmon quiche is made by the recipe I posted. It is good. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 06:35

How do you cut into something that gorgeous? :shock:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Mar 03, 2014 06:57

Chuckwagon wrote:How do you cut into something that gorgeous? :shock:
Let hunger be your friend. RAY