Chicken & his fat /skin

spud
User
User

Chicken & his fat /skin

Post by spud » Sat Apr 17, 2010 02:43

Hi
Have had what I would explain as reasonable success making fresh Sausages from Beef, Pork but every time I tried to make something with chicken the taste is strange. I have followed recipes from Books of notable authors but the taste is strange. The moisture in them all was a problem but that has been over come with using the kitchen aid mixer and being strict on the water - fat additions.
Now has the skin, fat from the chicken if included in the mix any thing to do with the taste or should I say lack of, that I am seeing. I was wondering if the growth additives that we are seeing now days are having an effect if the skin and fat are included.
I have reduced to 1/2 the spice mixtures even double them to see any changes. There is a slight change either way but they still taste funny. I can't really say what it is either but its like savoury spices gone wrong, maybe earthy. One taster said that there was an over powering of "allspice" none was in the recipe, well that one.
So are there any spices that U experts would never think of using with chicken..

cheers Spud
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 17, 2010 06:45

This is a great question. Can any of you Polish folks help my friend? Spud is in Singapore and trying to make a good chicken sausage. Please give him a hand.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Apr 18, 2010 01:55

Well, I'm not from Poland but I have had success making chicken sausage. I have made Chicken Feta Spinach and a chicken apple sausage. Skin is always left in a pretty high ratio for proper fat content. I raised the chickens myself that I used so I know there were no additives or hormones. Perhaps those additives have a bigger influence on the meat than many are willing to admit.
spud
User
User

Chicken & his fat /skin

Post by spud » Sun Apr 18, 2010 05:05

Hi Dave Zac & of course CW.
I have just eaten what was the last of the last as a cold cooked sausage. The taste was more like a bready or stuffing taste.
The recipe was Pork Breakfast from someone we are pretty familiar with so his recipe would be trustworthy for sure. I replaced Pork with Chicken.
Reduced to 1/2 the pork fat as there was a far bit of skin and fat there.
The dried herbs may have been 3 months old and were previously open, this the problem U think.

Breakfast Sausage by the Famous Wheels
Seasoning Mix
Salt 60g
Pepper White 7g
Pepper Black 5g
Nutmeg 2g
Mace 1g
Ginger 2g
mixed herbs, dried 3g

Pork 780g - being 20% back fat or 156g
Rusk 80g
Water 120g
Seasoning Mix 20

Really would like a have a hand with this as we eat tons of chicken therefore Sausages are the next thing as a fix for me :roll:

Will try the recipes Chicken Feta Spinach and a chicken apple sausage, these from the same place as above I guess Dave.

cheers spud
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Mon Apr 19, 2010 15:48

spud, do you want smoked sausage or you don't have any possibilities to smoke?
Below 2 photos of our polish forum members :wink:
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 20:08

Hi Siara,
My, my, my.... what beautiful sausage! Is it fully cooked? Smoked? And is it quite fatty?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 07:25, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 07:47

Siara, that sausage is so gorgeous I just can't get over it. Would you give your hints and tips to my pals in America? DaveZak raises chickens. All I ever raised was "hell in High School" ha ha.
This sausage is so beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. I'm going to try it if you will post a recipe. I'll trade you for a great Spanish Chorizo recipe with paprika. I've also got a great sausage from my pal in south-east Africa called Bor Wors.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:51

Sure, I'll post the recipe later today. I hope you will like it.
What kind of smoker you have?
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 22:29

Hi Siara,
I am posting a great recipe for Spanish Chorizo. I hope you like it. My smoker is rather small and only accomodates 20 lbs. at a time. It is insulated for use at 5 degrees below zero on a cold winter's night. I smoke meats year round. The reason I haven't upgraded to a larger smoker is this one is all "broken in". It has years and years of smoke built up on the walls. A couple of years ago it even caught on fire with all the deposited grease! :oops: I guess I've finally learned to clean it!
Anyway, for fish we use Alderwood. For pork we use hickory or cherry. For beef hickory is nice and sometimes fruitwood like apple, cherry, etc.
When I was young I smoked meat in a 50 gallon drum. It was great. We built a small fire and kept it burning all day long with a small draft. Today we are quite spoiled with a thermometer, and hot plate to control the burning. However, I don't think that any type of smoker will ever replace a real live burning small smoldering fire with moist sawdust burning away to smoke flavor any sausage. Heck, I even dream about Polish Kielbasa in my sleep. It is the best sausage in the world.
My best wishes, Chuckwagon
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Sun Apr 25, 2010 02:44

H Siara, Dav & Chuckwagon
Gee Siara I really like the look of your pictures, makes the mouth water thinking about the taste treat.
Smoking is a problem for me but I am determined to have a go at it. I dont have a smoker but have a Smoke generator that I imported from England. Cant hot smoke as such but intend to adopt the Card board box idea. My mean abient temp is rediculious for cold smoking but well adapt something for my purpose.
My quest for Chicken Sausage comes from the desire to perfect "something" before I move onto the next project. Chicken being the most cost effective meat here so I have settled on that as my "have to do".
My other problem is space, we live in an ground floor apartment, one that has some space but its not like a free space. Everytime I cook a BBQ the ones above all open their windows and eat my meals before I get to ... But all the above wont stop me...
So yes I can smoke of sorts......

Cant get past the 1st pic if I could produce something like that I'd say "Job well done, next project please"

U said that U would be posting the recipe, is this still coming.

Next question is to do with posting pictures, I'm really lucky with this forum as my server is allowing the pictures to be seen. Other places it doesnt so how and what do U do to post them please...

Yes chuckwagon I have been all this time not being able to see all those great things U & the other guys from the other place have been posting :sad:

The biggest problem I have is time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, always at work..

Just off top lick those pictures again :lol:

best regards
Spud-Singapore
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48

spud wrote:U said that U would be posting the recipe, is this still coming.
I'm not sure if I understood good but I think you're waiting for a recipe which Siara has already posted here http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=107#107
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Mon Apr 26, 2010 03:17

Thanks Siara.
I missed that one.
Again they look fantastic.

Managered to steal some hours until mid night last night and finally made to batches of chicken Sausage. Used all the advice & info I had found and have to say this morning they were looking good. Will post pics when I get home.

Cheers and thanks
Spud Singapore
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 23:56

Hi Spud,
I can understand your cold smoking problems in the tropics. It is the same here in Brisbane in the summer although winter is not too bad here.
In summer I just hot smoke everything if I run out of goodies.
Did you get the ProQ cold smoke generator from the UK? Reports are rather good and people like it.
Smoking with this generator takes some time so be aware of using a cure.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Thu Jun 16, 2011 00:38

Hi crustyo44.
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply....
We are now back living in Perth and its been awhile getting sorted etc..

Yep I was in at the first opportunity to grab one of the ProQ cold smoke generators.
Really are fantastic and will burn for a good time..
Not sure if they have reached Oz yet but they will post if required. There has to be some others on the market by now as well..

Almost forgot,,, go the mighty BLUES,, guess that rocked the living sh---- out of you banana benders,,, had to come didnt it really, wont hurt to loose now and then. Next two will be yours LOL..

Once again sorry for the delay, good old Chuckwagon gave me a nudge to get back and recieve mail

Hoping to get back into the really stuff shortly, keep up the great work U guys with this Forum..
Reading you Polish Sausage books at present..
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 23:41

Hi Spud,
Good to see a SANDGROPER back on deck. Fancy calling me a banana bender!! I am Australian first. Workaholic second, Dutchman third and AFL is for me. At least you need brains to play it.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.