Newbies

HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Newbies

Post by HamnCheese » Sat Apr 12, 2014 16:55

Newbies come to Wedliny for a reason. Many of us have ghosted here without ever registering because it is so educational and the characters who post regularly on the forum are so entertaining. Ultimately, some of us register to become members of this tribe.

Just like there is more than one way to skin a cat, there is more than one way to make a sausage. (Hopefully not on the same day.)

Not everyone who makes sausage is a microbiologist, can do long division in their heads, knows how to work a spreadsheet, has the means to purchase high end equipment or the skill base to build it themselves. Some people ask questions in a way that makes finding the answer difficult and some people answer questions in a way that makes finding the answer difficult.

But those things don't dampen the enthusiasm for learning the art of sausage making.

Not all of us have been on this forum long enough to understand exactly how it works (how to pose a question - what information to include for example), but again, it doesn't mean we don't want to become 'part of the family'. Maybe I can't make a fermented sausage yet, but there are other contributions I can make if I feel secure in the knowledge that I won't be criticized for chiming in.

I worry that some new members are driven away when we don't consider that they are newbies - and when they leave, they take their own contributions with them. Even when they stay, they aren't active so the effect is the same. When I joined this forum, it was to increase my knowledge with a group of people who would, ostensibly, cheer me on through the inevitable mistakes.

We all make mistakes. And most of the time we are our own worst critics so jabs from the peanut gallery are almost always redundant. Diversity of opinion and experience are key to how we do things and we're self limiting when new ideas or mistakes or initial lack of clarity in our questions are jumped from the start. Sometimes there is not enough encouragement before the beatings begin, so to speak.

So let's be patient with new members. Let's be careful and clear and polite in our responses and then let's all go to Duck's house for something yummy.

Lynn
Fairly Newbie
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 12, 2014 17:22

Very well said Lynn.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 01:09

Yes it is! VERY well said Lynn. Thank you so much for posting that. I sincerely hope that new members don't think they have to have had straight A's in high school English class just to write a post and take part in the chat or response on ANY of the forums on this site. We welcome everyone's views and thoughts. Please post anything you wish folks! (As long as it doesn't break the rules). And... spelling doesn't count!

If you write a post, I would only encourage you to try to place it in the correct forum. If you are not sure WHERE to post a certain topic, click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5409
If you don't find the right forum, don't worry about it. That's what moderators are for and we'll move it if necessary, and notify you whenever possible.

Finally, there is no subject too unimportant to write about. If you've been holding back because you felt that your question was too simple... Don't! Again, there are NO silly questions on this site! Just silly answers sometimes! YOUR remark or question is just as important as anyone else's. Sure, someone may use "big words" and may have a background in microbiology... BUT - we are all sausage makers - not rocket scientists! :shock: We need input from every level of the craft.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D