Ross's Maryland Bakery

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 22, 2014 17:55

Thanks Bob, your loaf looks to be perfect in every way. I could tell from the pics of when it was sliced that the texture was ideal. Would King Arthur's bread flour work well? I tried a mix of 50-50 bread and rye flour recipe about a month back, came out like a brick. I still have a nice jar of rye starter in the fridge, as long as I'm going to be home and stirring the soup pot all day maybe I'll take another shot. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 22, 2014 18:10

Ray-
King Arthur bread flour will work.

A 50 -50 mix will not...it will come out like a brick.

Follow the original recipe. Has worked for me , many times over.

Ingredients

First Clear Flour 1lb 454gr 100 %

Instant Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

Water 8oz 237gr 52%

Salt 1 1/4 tsp 7gr 1.5%

Rye Sour 1 cup 230 gr 51%

Caraway Seeds 1 heaping tablespoon (to taste)

P.S. The fresh rye starter needs to be prepared at least the day before you wan't to make the loaf. Like a preferment.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 22, 2014 18:27

Thanks Bob, I went back and revisited page 15 of this thread. Question: after the loaf has doubled in size after the first rise, do you knock it back down, form the loaf, then let it rise again for a couple of hours? Ray
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 22, 2014 18:40

Flour is a very complex subject and for the home baker we have limited access to all of it.
http://www.conagramills.com/our_product ... flours.jsp
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 22, 2014 18:52

Ray-

Just let it rise once. The (rye) starter has already fermented and adds to the flavor.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 22, 2014 19:15

Thanks for all your advise Bob. I'm pretty sure I've got it all down now, even have my cast iron skillet dug out of the garage. Everything is on hold at the moment. My wife broke a tooth last night and my dentist just called to tell me to bring her in now. RAY
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 22, 2014 19:24

Gees Ray

You need to stop using that new fangled frag ammo on those hogs.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 22, 2014 23:54

Bob K wrote:Gees Ray You need to stop using that new fangled frag ammo on those hogs.
Hey, I've never shot a raw carrot in my life! Just a nice new crown to look forward to and a cute silver temporary. We're taking off for Phoenix in a couple of days to visit my wife's cousin, it'll be fun to watch her try to keep her mouth shut. :mrgreen: RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Oatmeal cookies

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 27, 2014 02:25

Among all of the cookie recipes in the world I believe that oatmeal cookies are my favorites. The problem I have always had is getting consistency from batch to batch. A couple of months ago I found a formulation on the Archer, Daniels, Midland co. website for oatmeal cookies using bakers percentages. I just finished making the third batch and placing samples from all 3 batches it is not possible to differentiate the batches.

Skip navigation links

Milling

US Wheat Flours

Specialty Wheat Flours

Canadian Wheat Flours

Caribbean Wheat Flours

Specialty Milled Products

Mixes, Fillings & Morsels

Dry Sweeteners

Wheat Glutens

Wheat Isolates

Wheat Starches

About ADM Milling

Distributors

Formulations

Services

Contact Us

Oatmeal Cookies

SUBMITTED BY:
ADM Milling

Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

Ingredients Bakers %
Brown Sugar 135.00
Liquid Whole Eggs 46.00
Vanilla 3.00
All Purpose Shortening 80.00
ADM Swan Pastry Flour 100.00
Salt 2.20
Baking Soda 1.40
Baking Powder 1.20
Cinnamon 0.80
Rolled Oats 100.00

DIRECTIONS:

Cream:
●Mix brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and shortening at 1st speed for 30 seconds
●2nd speed for 30 seconds. Scrape, 2nd speed for 3 minutes

Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon
●Gradually on 1st speed.
●Scrape, 2nd speed 2 minutes

Add rolled oats.
●1st speed for 15 seconds.
●Scrape, 2nd speed for 15 seconds

Bake:
●Divide into 40 gram pieces
●Bake at 350°F for 12 to 14 minutes
●Let cool on wire rack
My bake time is 11 minutes and I add walnuts and dried cranberries.

REVIEWS:

There are no reviews for this recipe
http://www.adm.com/en-US/Milling/_layou ... s/milling/
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Bakng Frenzy

Post by sawhorseray » Sat May 03, 2014 23:12

Up and ready for a early lunch old Mother Hubbard discovered the was no bread in the cupboard. No problem, pound out a 8-pack of rolls using Ross' scalded flour method. I don't even need to read the recipe any more, it's foolproof and gives a great product every time.
Lunch turned out to be some split pea soup full of wild hog ham and a toasted roll.
The peanut gallery was screaming "we want pizza for dinner" viola, my favorite dough recipe:

1 cup water
1 large tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon dry milk powder
3 cups bread flour
1 large teaspoon active dry yeast

90 minutes later, nice first rise
Dough shaped into the same size as the pizza stone, then sits covered for a hour while the stone goes into the 425° oven to acclimate
First the sauce and mozzarella layers, each little piece strategically placed.
Next a layer of salami, then pepperoni, wild hog Italian sausage, chopped onion, bell pepper, sliced black olives, a final sprinkling of shaved mozzarella just to hold everything in place. 425° oven for 18-20 minutes on the stone, happy family
Soon the shipment of semolina flour and clear #1 will arrive from King Art, then it will be time for more ravioli and tackling Bob K's rye bread recipe. Life is good! RAY
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 04, 2014 00:18

Yeeee Hawwww Ray!
I listed your recipe in the MRI and called it "Peanut Gallery Pizza Dough". :lol:
Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 04, 2014 01:24

Ray I can't imagine how many cops would make up the tactical team dispatched to put down the riot if you ever suggest ordering out for pizza. You do such nice work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 04, 2014 02:21

Image Image Image
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 04, 2014 09:37

Chuckwagon wrote:Yeeee Hawwww Ray! I listed your recipe in the MRI and called it "Peanut Gallery Pizza Dough". :lol: Thanks for sharing. Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
I'd think the most important bread recipe on this entire thread would be Ross' scalded flour bread. I use it every time, the 68-69% liquid works to perfection with any weight of bread you might want to make. I believe Ross is a master of baking all things, and if I have been remiss in any way of posting his recipe I'll make up for it right now. I can do this without looking anything up, done it a ton of times, never fails.

16 ounces bread flour
5 ounces milk
4 ounces boiled water
1 large egg
1 large tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1&1/2 tbsp micro-melted butter
1 large tsp dry yeast

Dump the four ounces of boiling water into the flour and let it sit. After that micro-zap the five ounces of milk for 15-18 seconds to get it around 100° (no more) and add the yeast to it. Stir it around occasionally for about 9-10 minutes until the yeast is bubbly and dissolved. I then dump all the ingredients into the Kitchenaid bowl and with the kneading hook work the dough for ten minutes at #2 speed. No Kitchenaid, no problem, knead the dough by hand for ten minutes. Work the dough into a ball, place in a lightly olive-oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap for two hours in a warm place to rise. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead by hand for a couple of minutes, divide into eight equal pieces, form rolls or buns, cover and let rise for another hour before baking at 385° for 17-18 minutes. I like to brush the rolls with melted butter right before they go into the oven, and egg-wash works nicely also. This was such a break thru that I've never even tried to take the credit, in my house we refer to these as "Ross' Rolls". I was ready to throw in the towel on baking bread with all the bricks I'd been producing. Ross' guidance and recipe have led to a product that everyone craves and is repeatable every single time. I think it's the single best bread recipe on the planet, ever, of all time. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. :lol: RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 04, 2014 13:57

I offered it up and Ray has refined it. About the equivalent of delivering a load of lumber and taking credit for the cabinet a craftsman builds. I don't make this recipe anywhere near as often as Ray does and he has perfected it.
Ross- tightwad home cook